Menu

“Ozempic Baby”

I have heard so much about this drug and the other like it in the news, but I hadn't heard about this yet.

‘Ozempic Babies’ on the Rise: Why Women Are Getting Pregnant While Taking the Medication

Women are reporting unexpected pregnancies while taking the weight loss medication — even if they’ve struggled with infertility or are using birth control

https://people.com/ozempic-babies-women-getting-pregnant-on-semaglutide-wegovy-8613965?hid=e29223e5c3eddfd4a2c8c0f58b17511036c2d98c&did=12399296-20240323&utm_campaign=ppl-nonewsubs_relationship-builder&utm_source=ppl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=032324&lctg=e29223e5c3eddfd4a2c8c0f58b17511036c2d98c&lr_input=29d633aae90dc05f4b0bbcc8984257f70188fddb1ba0399390b3f65f9eebc5d1

Don't tell me this, my doctor just put me on a sample of Ozempic! Not for weight loss, though I wouldn't mind losing a few pounds, but for diabetes. So far it has worked great for blood sugar control. Now if only we could get insurance to pay for it. 🙃 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sweet2ndchance said:

Don't tell me this, my doctor just put me on a sample of Ozempic! Not for weight loss, though I wouldn't mind losing a few pounds, but for diabetes. So far it has worked great for blood sugar control. Now if only we could get insurance to pay for it. 🙃 

At my primary care physician's office there are notices in every exam room stating that he will not prescribe Ozempic, Trulicity, or other such drugs unless you have diabetes. I asked the nurse about the notice and she said "You won't believe how many people we get asking for it to lose 20 or so pounds."

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lady Florida. said:

At my primary care physician's office there are notices in every exam room stating that he will not prescribe Ozempic, Trulicity, or other such drugs unless you have diabetes. I asked the nurse about the notice and she said "You won't believe how many people we get asking for it to lose 20 or so pounds."

Yeah, our insurance won't pay for it at all for weight loss because it is "off-label use". But they are still giving us fits over it even though I am diabetic. It costs almost $1k a month without insurance. 😲

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, sweet2ndchance said:

Yeah, our insurance won't pay for it at all for weight loss because it is "off-label use". But they are still giving us fits over it even though I am diabetic. It costs almost $1k a month without insurance. 😲

Can you get the mfr coupon? That helps a little. Has your doc called the ins co to advocate for you? Will your insurance cover any similar drugs? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Can you get the mfr coupon? That helps a little. Has your doc called the ins co to advocate for you? Will your insurance cover any similar drugs? 

No I can't use the mfr coupon. Yes, the doctor is working on getting either Ozempic or something else covered for me, it's just a process that has taken over two weeks already. 🙄 

Right now, as far as I know, the hold up is insurance wanting to know why I'm not on one of their preferred drugs for diabetes. The doctor told them I had a horrible reaction to it (it was a miserable month on that drug) and now we are waiting for their response. It will be at least Monday or Tuesday before we hear back from insurance. I've got a stack of insurance rejection notices on my desk where the doctor has tried just about everything so far to get them to cover it. Her nurse is usually pretty good at navigating prior authorizations for insurance but this one even has her ready to pull her hair out.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, sweet2ndchance said:

No I can't use the mfr coupon. Yes, the doctor is working on getting either Ozempic or something else covered for me, it's just a process that has taken over two weeks already. 🙄 

Right now, as far as I know, the hold up is insurance wanting to know why I'm not on one of their preferred drugs for diabetes. The doctor told them I had a horrible reaction to it (it was a miserable month on that drug) and now we are waiting for their response. It will be at least Monday or Tuesday before we hear back from insurance. I've got a stack of insurance rejection notices on my desk where the doctor has tried just about everything so far to get them to cover it. Her nurse is usually pretty good at navigating prior authorizations for insurance but this one even has her ready to pull her hair out.

Ugh, so sorry!! I cannot take metformin and had to be on several other medications for a while before my doc put me on Ozempic. Praying that you get all clear from your insurance soon!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

Ugh, so sorry!! I cannot take metformin and had to be on several other medications for a while before my doc put me on Ozempic. Praying that you get all clear from your insurance soon!!

Metformin is the drug insurance wants to know why I'm not on it. I had a terrible time with it, just awful. I'll spare you the gory details lol. I'm on glipazide and trajenta now but it's not always doing the trick anymore. On Ozempic, my blood sugar was near perfect. I wish insurance would just trust that my doctor knows what she is doing. Sigh.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

27 minutes ago, sweet2ndchance said:

Metformin is the drug insurance wants to know why I'm not on it. I had a terrible time with it, just awful. I'll spare you the gory details lol. I'm on glipazide and trajenta now but it's not always doing the trick anymore. On Ozempic, my blood sugar was near perfect. I wish insurance would just trust that my doctor knows what she is doing. Sigh.

Twins! Metformin had me writhing on the bathroom floor in severe GI distress after 1 dose.  I took two meds in the same classes as the ones you are on, until they didn’t work. It is so infuriating that doctors are not allowed to practice medicine because insurance runs it all. Praying you get Ozempic or something similar covered SOON!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, sweet2ndchance said:

My insurance stopped covering it for weight loss (Wegovy) but not for diabetes, although I admit I have no idea if they want you on a different drug first.

However, there are coupons out there, if you have a script, why couldn't you use the coupons?   My understanding is that as long as you have a script, the coupon will work.  It is still outrageously expensive, but it can help.

My insurance sited that the manufacturer refuses to bring down cost even though they are currently making hand over fist.   They are hoping this will force the drug manufacturer to lower the cost.   Since people can't even find it available, I am doubting that will happen any time soon.

Apparently insurance companies across the country are stopping coverage April 1st of the weight loss kind (Wegovy and Zepbound) due to cost.

1 minute ago, DawnM said:

No way!   That is awful.  I am sorry.

Yup, that's the deal with most drug manufacturer's coupons. Those who receive Medicaid and sometime Medicare are not eligible for the coupons or hardship programs offered by the manufacturer. My husband and I both receive Medicaid through disability so we have never been eligible for these things. I always check for coupons and programs when we run into these problems with getting drugs covered though. Just in case.

• Sad 1

Do you have Kroger? I don't know what kind of prices they have on Ozempic, but we have two fairly expensive prescriptions in my family which insurance won't cover due to being name brand only, and Kroger has ended up being about half the cost of Walgreens or CVS, just as their regular list price. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dmmetler said:

Do you have Kroger? I don't know what kind of prices they have on Ozempic, but we have two fairly expensive prescriptions in my family which insurance won't cover due to being name brand only, and Kroger has ended up being about half the cost of Walgreens or CVS, just as their regular list price. 

Wow, how do they do that?   I haven't heard of this particular prescription being a discount anywhere unless it is through your insurance.   

1 hour ago, sweet2ndchance said:

Nope, no Krogers within a 3 hour drive from here. Thanks for the suggestion though!

If you could get a 90 day prescription and you got a great discount, it might be worth the drive every 3 months.

• Like 1