Menu

S/O integrated high school math that is quality

busymama7

Integrated meaning not divided into Alg 1 & 2, Geometry etc. Some of every topic each year for at least 3 years of high school math.

Dimensions is Singapore’s post-arithmetic, integrated curriculum. I haven’t used it and don’t know the scope and sequence, but I think the quality/challenge level is good, based on my friends who have chosen it.

The high school board is the best place to look for answers to this question, as Regentrude said.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Integrated meaning not divided into Alg 1 & 2, Geometry etc. Some of every topic each year for at least 3 years of high school math.

Dimensions is Singapore’s post-arithmetic, integrated curriculum. I haven’t used it and don’t know the scope and sequence, but I think the quality/challenge level is good, based on my friends who have chosen it.

The high school board is the best place to look for answers to this question, as Regentrude said.

Everything I read about Singapore Dimensions (directly on the Singapore website) sends mixed messages about the scope and sequence and coverage.

On one hand it says (bolding mine):
"Pre-algebra, algebra, geometry, data analysis, probability, and some advanced math topics are included in this rigorous series."

But on the same page it says (bolding mine):
"SEQUENCED FOR SUCCESS

Dimensions Math 7 and 8 together cover Pre-algebra and Algebra 1 topics, with some geometry. Dimensions Math 6 is aligned with Common Core Standards, and so while it does include some Pre-algebra topics, it is not a Pre-algebra text in the traditional sense. It is a Grade 6 text.

Dimensions Math 7 assumes students are new to Pre-algebra topics, such as integers and simple algebraic equations, but goes farther into Algebra topics than would a traditional Pre-algebra text. Therefore, Dimensions Math 8 has greater expectations for what students have covered previously (particularly with regard to linear equations) than a traditional Algebra 1 text. The two grades, 6 and 7, are meant to be done as a set.

After grade 8, students may move onto Geometry and Algebra 2 programs."

Suddenly it feels a little less "integrated" and more "heavy pre-algebra year edging into algebra, which leaves room in the algebra year to dip into a little bit of geometry and other interesting topics". Which might be exactly what people are looking for...but isn't exactly what they advertise.

• Like 1