Menu

Sleep

Katy

Does anyone have any advice for getting a child with autism to sleep through the night? To be fair ALL of my kids have repeatedly woken me up in the last 10 days, but DD5 has been at least twice per night. 

I don't know if autism makes a difference or not, but I always had a cot in my room when my kids were that age. Even if it was just a sleeping bag on the floor next to my side of the bed, they were welcome to come sleep in my room whenever they wanted. By 8 - 10yo they always out grew the need to sleep with me.

I have two kiddos that I suspect are somewhere on the spectrum but no diagnosis. I hope you and your little ones get some sleep soon! (((hugs)))

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Melatonin.  ASD kids produce less.

comes in as small as 1mg.  gummies, tablets, capsules.  (so you can adjust the dose to their need.)

when dudeling's ND started him on it, I basically had to tell him he would swallow it or I'd give it to him in a shot. 
he slept two more hours than usual.   He ASKED for it the next night!  If I forgot to give it to him, he'd notice and ask for it.   He will still ask for it/remind me to buy more.  He did need a higher dose than his age/size should, but he was sleeping two more hours and in a much better mood the next day too.
His preference is extended release.  I admit I've had better experience with the SR/ER form than the regular one too.

eta: 2dd got a hammock for 1dgs.  It's "snuggly".  It has worked amazingly well, but he often has to be calmed before he can go to sleep and it will also calm him.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Thanks 1

https://marybarbera.com/autism-sleep-how-improve-sleep-children-autism/

My child did not have sleep issues, but this is one of my favorite authors for younger children with autism.  

I just skimmed and didn’t see anything about ruling out medical issues.  This author has tons about ruling out medical issues with children who may not communicate well or show expected signs of medical issues.  If it’s not mentioned here — it is one of those things that is always worth considering.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Thanks 1

Melatonin, clonidine, trazodone. Also, make sure they are getting enough exercise and sensory input. I had one kid who needed to play hard every day to be able to chill at night….swinging, joint compressions, heavy lifting/dragging, etc. We did multiple parks and rec classes (tumbling, gymnastics, swimming) to keep them regulated outside of OT.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did you talk to a neurologist about it? I wouldn't give any meds to a child without a prescription. 

My son also had sleeping issues, and a doctor prescribed Trazodone, but I followed the instructions. Also, I double-checked the info on the Canadian pharmacy site (I almost always do this before taking any medication) to be aware of the possible side effects. 

My advice is not to self-treat and talk to a doctor first.

Edited by Rosla