Menu

Question about Blood Alcohol Levels

goldberry

Is there anything that would cause a person to legitimately not process alcohol normally in their body?  A person says that they had 3 shots on an empty stomach.  I have other reasons to believe this is the truth.  This person also became sick with a stomach bug (running a fever).  Four hours later this person clocked a BAC of .27 which is borderline alcohol poisoning.  The stomach bug is still there today, 18 hours later.  Fever and diarrhea today.  

Any thoughts?

Well some shots are double or triple shots, which is what I would suspect, especially if they drank at a bar. There are also drugs (some prescription) that lower alcohol tolerance pretty severely. Also, anyone but especially women with lower body weight tend to have less circulating blood in the body than someone taller or heavier, so they can get drunk much faster. 

• Like 2

Just now, regentrude said:

If the body doesn't produce alcohol dehydrogenase properly,  it can't metabolize alcohol.

I am unfit to drive after half a drink. My body doesn't process alcohol like other bodies.

This person normally processes alcohol like the average person.

1 hour ago, goldberry said:

After FOUR HOURS though, that seems almost impossible.  Could the stomach sickness have any immediate effect on that?

Ketosis can make a person much drunker much faster. Someone I know, who also usually processes alcohol normally, wound up in the ER because of this. 

• Like 2

Update to this:  The person saw a GI doctor because they have been having other issues in addition to the recent stomach bugs.  GI doc thinks they may have an ulcer or other upper GI problem and is scheduling an endoscopy and biopsy.  They told the doc what happened, and they said absolutely that can happen, because when you have an upper GI irritation it just "stops" everything in place and doesn't let it proceed as normal through the GI system.  The body doesn't know what to do with it at that point and the alcohol could have processed abnormally.  WEIRD

• Like 1

anecdotal, take it for what it's worth.
This was shared with me by one of my NDs.  She treats MTHF mutations.  She had a patient she started treating for a MTH mutation - he got really ticked when his tolerance for alcohol significantly dropped off a cliff.  He ended up stopping treatment because he'd rather be able to drink booze and not be easily affected.

• Like 1