Menu

PSA: PBS All Creatures Great and Small tonight

kbutton

Dd wants me to wait and binge the whole season with her over Spring Break. 😐I might watch it as it comes out AND at SB! 

We are watching Downton Abbey and the new Percy Jackson series together now and she only has two more days of break. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

How good is this series?  I loved watching Downton Abbey after it was complete.  

I haven’t read the books to compare (have heard excerpts), but it’s very good. You don’t have to be an animal lover to watch it. One of kids does not like veterinary shows, but he loves this series.

• Like 2

Oh my goodness this is the best show ever right? Also I have read and listened to the books and I'm pretty sure they are my favorite of all time as well.  I mean I love a lot of books but these are way up there on my favorites. 

Anyone feel like arm chair diagnosing Siegfried?  He is such a fun character and I wonder if he is neurodivergent.  Thoughts?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, busymama7 said:

Oh my goodness this is the best show ever right? Also I have read and listened to the books and I'm pretty sure they are my favorite of all time as well.  I mean I love a lot of books but these are way up there on my favorites. 

Anyone feel like arm chair diagnosing Siegfried?  He is such a fun character and I wonder if he is neurodivergent.  Thoughts?

Which Siegfried?  The one in the current show or the one in the book - they're quite different.  They made the one in the show a decade or more older (the character in the book would have been a young child in WW1), made him a sad widower instead of an inveterate womanizer, and gave him a rat as a pet instead of a whole pack of loud dogs.  And actually they made him way less neurodivergent.  Siegfried at the least has raging ADHD.  The opening scene in the book, James arrives for his interview to the pack of loud dogs barking their heads off at the door, no one answers.  Mrs Hall (much older than Siegfried in the books and I believe widowed; with neither an estranged son nor disappeared husband) finally answers and shows him into the sitting room; crazed dogs follow.  He sits there uncomfortably for a long while until a young attractive woman comes in looking for Siegfried.  They have a date.  Siegfried is nowhere to be found.  James chats with her awkwardly for a while, she then leaves.  He stays on for hours till Siegfried finally shows up.  He had totally forgotten both the interview and the date with the attractive woman.

This Siegfried is way more put together!

I'm enjoying the show, but they did change quite a bit about most of the characters and their backstories!  Which is fair, while some think the books are memoir or autobiography, it's auto-fiction and the author changed most characters and their backstories from real life from his books, including all the names.  His was Alfred, Siegfried's was Donald.  The author's wife wasn't even a farmer's daughter.

And interestingly, in the biography of the author by his son, he says that the 'real' Siegfried (Donald) was actually more eccentric even than the character in the book!

Edited by Matryoshka

10 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Which Siegfried?  The one in the current show or the one in the book - they're quite different.  They made the one in the show a decade or more older (the character in the book would have been a young child in WW1), made him a sad widower instead of an inveterate womanizer, and gave him a rat as a pet instead of a whole pack of loud dogs.  And actually they made him way less neurodivergent.  Siegfried at the least has raging ADHD.  The opening scene in the book, James arrives for his interview to the pack of loud dogs barking their heads off at the door, no one answers.  Mrs Hall (much older than Siegfried in the books and I believe widowed; with neither an estranged son nor disappeared husband) finally answers and shows him into the sitting room; crazed dogs follow.  He sits there uncomfortably for a long while until a young attractive woman comes in looking for Siegfried.  They have a date.  Siegfried is nowhere to be found.  James chats with her awkwardly for a while, she then leaves.  He stays on for hours till Siegfried finally shows up.  He had totally forgotten both the interview and the date with the attractive woman.

This Siegfried is way more put together!

I'm enjoying the show, but they did change quite a bit about most of the characters and their backstories!  Which is fair, while some think the books are memoir or autobiography, it's auto-fiction and the author changed most characters and their backstories from real life from his books, including all the names.  His was Alfred, Siegfried's was Donald.  The author's wife wasn't even a farmer's daughter.

And interestingly, in the biography of the author by his son, he says that the 'real' Siegfried (Donald) was actually more eccentric even than the character in the book!

Oh for sure I've read the book by his son and there are a lot of differences both in the book from real life and the show form the book. But those kinds of things never bother me.  I love seeing a character come to life and I feel they did a pretty good job with Siegfried.  Have you seen episode 2 of season 4? It's where the secretary gets hired and it had me rolling and that's what made me really wonder about him.  I don't know a lot about things like ADHD but my son was diagnosed a couple years ago in his early 20s and I've started to consider if I am as well so I'm noticing things a lot both in media and in my life. I think I thought a lot of things were normal that maybe aren't so much.  Anyways loved your post.  Fun discussion!

9 hours ago, busymama7 said:

Oh for sure I've read the book by his son and there are a lot of differences both in the book from real life and the show form the book. But those kinds of things never bother me.  I love seeing a character come to life and I feel they did a pretty good job with Siegfried.  Have you seen episode 2 of season 4? It's where the secretary gets hired and it had me rolling and that's what made me really wonder about him.  I don't know a lot about things like ADHD but my son was diagnosed a couple years ago in his early 20s and I've started to consider if I am as well so I'm noticing things a lot both in media and in my life. I think I thought a lot of things were normal that maybe aren't so much.  Anyways loved your post.  Fun discussion!

Oh definitely - I'm enjoying this one - or I wouldn't still be watching season 4! 😂

I just thought it was amusing you were commenting that the tv character seemed a bit eccentric/ possibly neurodiverse, but the tv character is way toned down from the book character, and then the book character is in turn apparently way toned down from the real life person he was based on - he must really have been a trip!

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2