Menu

cat vaccine shortage

Are all feline vaccines affected? I notice it doesn't mention any specific ones. It would make me super nervous to not get rabies boosters taken care of! I haven't heard anything about it here (but my cat is just due for his annual vet visit in a couple weeks). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kirstenhill said:

Are all feline vaccines affected? I notice it doesn't mention any specific ones. It would make me super nervous to not get rabies boosters taken care of! I haven't heard anything about it here (but my cat is just due for his annual vet visit in a couple weeks). 

Good question. I couldn't get any vaccines done for my cats.

But we don't have rabies here in Australia, so that's a non-issue for us, luckily. 

4 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I haven't heard anything about it. When I do a Google search of "cat vaccine shortage usa" all the hits I get are in Australia. The US FDA site doesn't list any shortage of vaccines under "current animal drug shortage" but IDK if vaccines are included in that list. I'd think they would be?

Interesting. So maybe it's just us. The vet said 'worldwide', so I was curious.

Interesting.  We had my new (very adorable and lovable) kitten in both in November and December for shots, routine testing and a spay.  Had all the routine shots, wasn't mentioned.  She was last in less than a week ago for the final shots and spay.  

That stinks!  Especially for indoor/outdoor animals.  

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, catz said:

Interesting.  We had my new (very adorable and lovable) kitten in both in November and December for shots, routine testing and a spay.  Had all the routine shots, wasn't mentioned.  She was last in less than a week ago for the final shots and spay.  

That stinks!  Especially for indoor/outdoor animals.  

I was told that the limited vaccines available here were only being given to high-risk cats eg kittens, any cats going into boarding, and any coming from shelters.

I think this thread needs a kitten photo!

Edited by chocolate-chip chooky

2 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I think this thread needs a kitten photo!

Well gosh golly, if you say so!  😂 😻 (please don't quote, will probably delete later!)  

Side note - perfect gift for your pet adoring college students when they come visit to take back to school!  

GrimPillow1.jpg

• Like 9

I have a foster cat transported in from another state (long, weird story) and haven't heard anything about this. They have to have vaccines along with a certificate of health to cross state lines. It is illegal not to get rabies vaccines, I wonder how that will work out.  

10 hours ago, SHP said:

I have a foster cat transported in from another state (long, weird story) and haven't heard anything about this. They have to have vaccines along with a certificate of health to cross state lines. It is illegal not to get rabies vaccines, I wonder how that will work out.  

Good question. How will they handle licensing if cats can't get their shots? I can't imagine them giving a lengthy grace period.