Menu

Tackling Wednesday Together, 12.20.23

mom31257

Good morning! 

Since our family Christmas is Saturday, I don't have much time left. I did get my car back yesterday, so this morning is going to be spent shopping. 

• food for the boys to take to work
  • order a couple of items ds just told me he wants for Christmas (one will arrive Friday and one later)
  • look at some creative ways to give cash
  • coffee
  • make a shopping list
  • get ready to go out
  • shop, shop, shop
  • tutor 1 student in person
  • figure out dinner and make it
  • start wrapping gifts
  • watch more of Victoria and My Life with the Walter Boys (started last night)
Edited by mom31257
  • Like 6

I still can't figure out what food to have on Saturday, and I just realized I need two meals, lunch and dinner, if there aren't leftovers to eat. My dad, sister, and BIL are coming at lunchtime for my family side Christmas, although we aren't exchanging gifts.  We're having Christmas with the kids that night. 

I don't want traditional holiday food. We had that at Thanksgiving, and we're having it again on Christmas Day in Ohio. I don't want to be in the kitchen all day. Neither kid likes lasagna or more tomato-based dishes. I'm the only one with food issues (dairy, shellfish), but I don't mind eating something separate from the rest. I do want to cook and not order food out, though. 

Any ideas?

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 3

@mom31257 Maybe a hearty soup (or two, one with chx and one with meat) with good crusty bread and salad for lunch? 

Maybe breakfast for dinner with something extra nice? Special cinnamon rolls or coffee cake in addition to eggs, meat, a savory starch like hash browns or cheese grits, and fresh fruit? Croissants make fancy b’fast sandwiches or a fluffy base for an egg casserole. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today Ds has a half-day at school. Now I get 18 days of not getting up in the dark! 

Tutor one student ✔️ 
Pick up milk ✔️ 
Get gas. ✔️ 
Computer chores

Pick up Ds. ✔️ Have him clean out his backpack. I may wash it.

Wrap gifts. ✔️ 

Dinner is taco salad/nachos. We need tortilla chips. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 5

Good morning!

Today I  have:

...coffee
...prep for my 2 tutor girls
...start working ahead on school, since it's a "work" day
...go tutor the 2 girls

...go to the local art gallery shop & other shops, as needed, to find a gift for my fencing Secret Santa
...come home, sew some more? I'd like to get the applique on one of the 2 Month 9 blocks done today
...take Middle to an appt this afternoon
....if DH feels up to it, possibly go to fencing at a different place that we're trying out next semester due to scheduling issues
...if not, hang out/veg out with the family
...figure out dinner???? 
...order a thing that Oldest *just* sent a link for, to buy for DH for Xmas (DH is also ordering from a link same child sent to get for his brothers)

@mom31257 for the Saturday dinner - lots of good ideas so far. We do "cook once eat twice" a lot for D&D; some hits are chicken & dumplings in the crockpot, any kind of chicken taco stuff in the crockpot, we do a ham often to make sandwiches out of but you said not traditional, so...; other ideas would be a few sheet tray dinners -- I do one that is chicken apple sausages with grapes, cherry tomatoes, etc; another that is various veggies & sliced feta; combine the two of those...anything that makes for easy cooking, with lots of output. Add a salad and a good bread, some sliced fruit/veggies, and it stretches all of it out. 

Edited by TheReader
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’m in and out this week.  Dh is home and that throws everything off a little bit, though I’m super glad he’s home.  

Today, I need to bathe the beagle, do some self-care, place grocery pickup order, some laundry, fix supper— probably quesadillas, go see drive thru Christmas lights.  I MIGHT take the dogs with us so they can see them, but I’m not sure yet.  

added on calling the doctor and checking prescription coverage. 

decided not to cook anything, we’ll grab supper on the way to see the lights.  

Edited by WildflowerMom
  • Like 4

@mom31257 our family Christmas is Sunday at lunch.  We’re doing a taco bar per ds & gf’s wishes.  Maybe a small version of that?   I have to do quite a bit because parents and in-laws are coming, too, but you can scale up or down as needed.    Christmas Day will just be dh and I and I think we’re grilling steaks, so maybe that is an option, too?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

home from tutoring - that went well, and I was surprised to receive a small gift from them! Totally unexpected! 

Heading out with DH to shop for my fencing secret santa, then home and maybe nap??? (probably not, looking at the time), and then take Middle for their appt

dinner will be chicken tacos/wraps using rotisserie chicken from the grocery store

• Like 4

Decided not to argue with Ds about cleaning out his backpack. We are on Christmas break; it will wait.

Got a gyro for lunch. Yummy! Our local mom n pop place makes them huge, so I have lunch for tomorrow too. 

Made taco seasoning and thought about dinner prep.

Made a hotel reservation. 

Feeling very tired. Gonna put on more loungey clothes, read, and nap. Will tackle the budget tomorrow. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 4

Home from all the downtown shops - found a little key tray/change tray thing decorated with symbols from (*I really hope I remembered correctly*) my recipients alma mater.  Will make some kind of yummy treat to package with it, and a small thing of marbles b/c he likes to say "this one's for all the marbles" when going for the final touch/point in a bout, and then wrap. The gift exchange is tomorrow. 

Have just enough time to goof off on the internet for a bit before taking Middle to the appt. 

• Like 4

Howdie, happy Wednesday!

Theoretically, today was supposed to be about winding down and catching up.  It mostly was.

Done:

• Slept!  Woke up!  Yay!
  • Took out the garbage.
  • Kids to school (late but oh well!)
  • Walked the dog.
  • Cleaned packed snow off the vehicle I needed to drive.
  • Ate fruit.
  • Chiropractor appointment for me.
  • Dropped off kid's project at school (which she forgot to take in the morning).
  • A little cleaning and reading.
  • Cleared a number of relatively minor client work things.
  • Seems like there was more ... whatever!?

To do:

• Yoga.
  • Eat veggie.
  • Vitamins and water.
  • Laundry.
  • Night pup duty.
  • As much additional client work as I can do before I putz out.
  • Like 5

Took Middle to the appt; came home, dh felt better so cooked with what we had here. 

After dinner Oldest took off for his church thing, DH reclined to the couch (after much insisting on my part), and the rest of us went on our "training for a 5K in Jan" walk. 

Home now, and going to watch TV with DH if he's up for it. 

• Like 4

watched an episode of Yellowstone; got up to take the trash out and discovered a baby corn snake on the front porch. The family has relocated him to a makeshift terrarium for now while they decide where to relocate him to for real. :sigh: Life is never dull around here! 

Maybe a little more Tv then bed....

• Like 2