Menu

Reynaud's . . .

gardenmom5

suggestions please. . . 

1ds has it.   He's on vasodilators to try and help.

suggestions on how to keep hands and feet warm  . . 
looking for steering wheel covers/heaters

thin gloves? that are *warm*.

he's trying out my foot bath - as the water can be heated to keep it at temperature.

at least I've got some things to potentially get him as Christmas gifts he'll actually be thrilled to receive . . . . . 

These gloves help keep my hands warm. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWXQBY8
I also often put a packet of Hot Hands under them in the wrist area. The glove is long enough so they don't fall out unless you are really waving your hands about.

For feet - wool socks. I prefer Darn Tough but the Pacas Alpaca socks are nice too (looser though). On really cold days, I wear silk sock liners too. 

Hot hands - Keep several pairs handy. I typically use two a day. They are consumable, but they last longer than my two Zippo rechargeable hand warmers. 
https://hothands.com/

If super cold, put a hot hand packet in the toe of your boot. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Katy said:

Look for ski gloves or mittens with thinsulate and a zippered pocket on the back of the hand to hold a hand warmer packet. 

I like that idea.  He hadn't wanted actual handwarmers because he needs to be able to use his hands.

Thank you for the suggestions.
I'm ordering a footwarmer he can stick his feet in under his desk

a heated keyboard pad

the fingerless gloves (I have some handwarmers for him already).  I like they are fingerless for typing.

He will be wfh 4x per week in the new year, so he'll be keeping his apartment warmer than work. 

9 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I like that idea.  He hadn't wanted actual handwarmers because he needs to be able to use his hands.

Hand warmers are still good for when you feel it coming on and need to get them warm asap. Obviously nobody can sit around all day holding a hand warmer, but they’ve saved me many times from getting a full-on flare-up when my fingers *did* get too cold and I needed them warm asap. 

• Like 2

To deal with Raynaud's on a daily basis at home, I purchased (3) extra large heatings pads from amazon which cost approximately $20-25 each. I keep one on my office chair at my desk area in the kitchen, one on my spot on the couch, and one on my bed. As soon as I settle into a particular spot, I turn the heating pad on the lowest setting, and as soon as I feel my hands starting to get cold, I place them on the heating pad I'm already sitting on. I cover the heating pads with a hand towel and switch the towels out with clean ones twice a week or so and wash/air dry the heating pads as needed. I also purchased a 12-volt heated car blanket that can be plugged into a cigarette lighter to use when in the car.

For me, the key to making sure my hands (and feet) don’t get too cold and then start to hurt is using the heating pads/blanket regularly. It does require me to pay attention to my body temperature, but if I stay on top of it, dealing with Raynaud’s becomes easier for me. Hope this helps. Ymmv.

• Like 1

does anyone have a heated steering  wheel cover?  or a non-heated that is actually warm?

he is in the market for a new car, but probably won't be purchasing one before spring/summer.  (he *may* have narrowed it to a small suv . . . - higher ground clearance)  I'll suggest he consider a heated steering wheel among his features . . . .

A couple of things that have helped me:

1) The problem is as much an issue of circulation as of cold. Moving around can help a lot. Once the top halves of my fingers have gone white, no amount of warmth can fix them without massaging them and windmilling my arms.

2) Remember that caffeine is a vasoconstrictor, so avoiding it will help.

• Like 1

Dh has a very small heater for his desk. It's maybe 6 x 4 x 4. I had one for my desk but it broke. I used mine on top of my desk blowing at my hands, he uses his for his feet under the desk. It doesn't have any safety features, so it's no longer being sold, but there are probably similar that may actually have safety features lol. I have to check his office every evening to make sure he didn't leave it on. I don't have Reynaud's, but I have MS, and my hands don't work very well when they get cold. I have thin gloves that I cut just the tips off of so I can still type, because all of the fingerless gloves didn't cover enough of my fingers. I think they are thinsulate, not sure. I also have fingerless gloves that have a mitten part that folds out of the way when I don't want my fingers covered. I miss my mini heater, though, so I will probably look for a replacement. 

• Like 1