Menu

For those who read Murderbot . . .

bookbard

apparently they're going to make a TV series about it.

The main character is supposed to be non-binary or more literally have no gender at all, because it's kind of a robot. But despite that, I've always 'read' the character as female (probably because the author has a female name, and the books are written in first person). But they're casting a male actor . . . definitely not what I had imagined!

Apple TV+ to Adapt Martha Wells’ Murderbot; Alexander Skarsgård Set to Star | Tor.com

I also read it as female, but that's probably because I'm female and any time I read a book in first person where it's not immediately obvious, I assume the narrator is female like me.

I feel reeaaaaal iffy about this too. I really think they will need to make him as gender-ambiguous as possible or it can never work. I'd have preferred a masc woman, tbh.

Murderbot has no sex parts and lists its gender as “Not Applicable” so assuming female is equally as wrong as assuming male.

I’m waiting with anticipation and apprehension, but I’m fretting more about how they’re going to adapt books that rely so heavily on the character’s internal thoughts than about the gender of the actor.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Danae said:

I’m waiting with anticipation and apprehension, but I’m fretting more about how they’re going to adapt books that rely so heavily on the character’s internal thoughts than about the gender of the actor.  

Same! I don't know how well it will translate to screen. 

Also, I've always read the character as male, but 🤷‍♀️ I think it's fascinating that everyone has a different opinion and reasoning behind how they picture Murderbot. 

I'm curious how they will carry everyone else, since a majority of the other characters seem to be non-white, and include lots of smart females. As much as I love those books, I've never wished to see them on screen for the reasons @Danae mentions. I don't have Apple TV, so I guess I won't actually see it this time either.

Another person who read her as female and I think there must be more of a reason than because we are female. Usually, when sex isn't listed, I read the character as male so there is something about this character that I'm forgetting that caused me to read her as female. I've always picture her looking something like Bobbie Draper from The Expanse or Brienne of Tarth from Game of Thrones.

Love the series and I almost always hate a movie based on books I love, so I hope I don't try to watch it. I have always read him as male - I keep trying to write why i think that, but it is making me realize how my mind is making very gendered/stereotypical assumptions based on my thoughts of military members (and I have a daughter who is serving in the military!!) so I'll just stop.... 

Edited by WendyLady

• 3 months later...

As an audiobook listener I have always pictured Murderbot as male-presenting based on the gender of the narrator they hired. They could have hired a female narrator but didn't. And just because Murderbot doesn't have sex parts doesn't mean he doesn't have secondary sex characteristics based on how he describes his own make up coming from cloned human DNA and human DNA has sex characteristics. Male biology is also more intimidating for those around him as a scary bot.