Menu

Does a comforter exist that meets these criteria?

Indigo Blue

Doesn’t pick when pets jump up onto bed

Still looks nice after many washes (must be machine wash and dry) ….durable

Looks nice, clean, and neat on the bed

has just a bit of weight and thickness

soft sheet-like feel

This describes a down comforter, but they are so expensive. Is there anything out there like this under $100.00? 

• Thanks 1

Sounds like you might look at something like a thick mink/microplush blanket.  I have no idea where we got ours, but it's so lovely and soft, washes well, and keeps the bed looking neat.  It has just enough weight to be calming.

You can also look at lines like Ikea's faux-down comforters, which are considerably cheaper, usually the same weight, and you just pair with a duvet cover.  We have one of those on ds13's bed and it has held up considerably well.  He's on his second cover because well, he's a kid, but he's had the same duvet for 7-8 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

Sounds like you might look at something like a thick mink/microplush blanket.  I have no idea where we got ours, but it's so lovely and soft, washes well, and keeps the bed looking neat.  It has just enough weight to be calming.

We have used these for bedspreads because they are nice and heavy and soft. I look at the weight of the blanket when purchasing. Lots on Amazon--just search for "Korean mink blanket." 

The downside is that when you buy one big enough for a queen or king bed, they are very heavy to wash. My machine can do it, but just barely.

ETA: I am tempted by Vellux blankets--similar feel but lighter.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

With pets, I have switched to using a duvet cover plus a comforter, BUT I don't put my comforter inside the duvet cover. I just use the duvet cover on top with a comforter separate underneath it. Then when it needs washed due to pets, it is all much easier to manage and lasts much longer. And it all still looks the same as it would with the comforter inside the duvet cover when the bed is made. 😊

• Like 1

I bought 2 of The Big One Reversible Down Alternative comforters from Kohls about 8-10 years ago for my kids’ beds. I don’t know if the quality is the same now, but they have held up remarkably well. From small kids to rowdy teens, 2 dogs, and a bajillion washes—still being used and look just fine. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1