Menu

FYI: FDA refrigerator & freezer storage chart

Arcadia

6 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Why would bacon be one week?  A lot of these seem wrong 

The thick sliced bacon I usually buy from Costco do last a week at least when I put the pack towards the back of my fridge. I think how long foodstuff last in the fridge is dependent on the temperature setting on individual’s fridge. Mine is set to the coldest (9) on my GE fridge because my pork strips and salmon fillets would spoil easily otherwise.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, denarii said:

Bacon only lasts 1 month in the freezer 🤨. That doesn't seem right. 

That seems really strange.  I always buy lots of bacon on sale and keep it frozen until use.  More than a month is the norm here and no ill effects.  Besides, bacon has lots of salt which is a preservative all by itself let alone freezing it.

Edited by Tenaj
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tenaj said:

That seems really strange.  I always buy lots of bacon on sale and keep it frozen until use.  More than a month is the norm here and no ill effects.  Besides, bacon has lots of salt which is a preservative all by itself let alone freezing it.

It depends on the freezer. Based on my appliances, bacon will last one month in the freezer compartment in the fridge but much longer in the standalone freezer that is much colder and doesn't get opened as much. 

Also, the chart is for quality only, not food safety. Big difference between "unsafe to eat" and "doesn't taste great anymore."

• Like 3

Some of you may have missed something at the top of the attached page. 

Because freezing 0 degrees F (-18 degrees C) keeps food safe indefinitely, the following recommended storage times are for quality only

Obviously unopened packages or well wrapped items can maintain their quality longer.

The USDA and FDA tend to take the conservative path in part to protect the young, the elderly and the immunocompromised. 

If you want to get into the weeds on food safety, I recommend Risky or Not?, a podcast presented by profs from NCSU and Rutgers.

• Like 4