Menu

S/o s/o - headstone inscriptions that you like

Laura Corin

My dear dear friend's headstone says, "She lived to serve."  She was an amazing human and a gift to the world.  

This is off the topic, but many years ago I was reading a book about eating disorders and someone in the book said she didn't want her headstone to say, "Wanted to be thin."  That hit me hard and still does.  It's sad that so many people waste so much of their lives chasing a smaller body.  

• Like 2

I love going to very old graveyards and picking out the rhyming epitaphs.  Quakers will only use totally plain, simple stones so I can't go there with anything else but I love to see interesting ones.  I once saw a gravestone that had a poker hand - a royal flush - carved into it.  Around here there are lots of ones with a sinking ship meaning the person was lost at sea.

14 hours ago, Drama Llama said:

I just want 3 names and dates.  

Yours?  I don't know why but I assumed you meant those of your kids when I read this.

• Like 1

We once saw an old headstone in a mostly overgrown cemetery with a hand and finger pointing upward toward the sky. We both saw it initially as the hand giving the middle finger but after a good laugh at the old sea captain's humor, eventually decided it was supposed to be an index finger. Lol☝️

For those of you who want designs--get a good artist! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Eos said:

I love going to very old graveyards and picking out the rhyming epitaphs.  Quakers will only use totally plain, simple stones so I can't go there with anything else but I love to see interesting ones.  I once saw a gravestone that had a poker hand - a royal flush - carved into it.  Around here there are lots of ones with a sinking ship meaning the person was lost at sea.

Yours?  I don't know why but I assumed you meant those of your kids when I read this.

My plan is to be buried with my husband and our son who died.  He's actually buried with someone else right now because he freaked out at the idea of being alone, but the plan is that we'll move him to be with us.  We already own the plot. 

So, I picture one of those double width headstones probably with a cross and our last name, and then under it our three names, and maybe dates.  

So like 

Schmidt

John Jacob Jingleheimer (Kid's original last name)

Mary Lou

Henry David

Except I don't actually have a kid named John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt, and we aren't Henry and Mary Lou either.  

• Like 4