Menu

S/O... Recipes on Headstones...

WildflowerMom

@gardenmom5 shared this link (https://www.tastingtable.com/1075739/the-longstanding-trend-of-etching-recipes-on-gravestones/) in the Thanksgiving thread and it got me thinking...    I don't think I have a signature recipe that I would consider putting on a headstone (I love that idea, btw).   

My maternal grandmother was known for her chicken and rice, even giving a pot of it to me each year for my birthday.   Yum!   I have the pot now, but not the exact recipe, unfortunately.    My paternal grandmother was known for her biscuits & gravy.   I am a huge biscuits & gravy lover and also FAILURE, lol.   I cannot make gravy to save my life.    My mil is known for her blueberry crunch and banana pudding.    My mom?   No idea, lol.   We're kinda alike in the cooking dept, very average.    Maybe her divinity??   I remember it being awesome.   

So, all that said, do any of you have a recipe that gets rave reviews and requests often or just something you're known for?

Chili.

But I don't think my kids will put that on a stone. What it might say is, "If anyone asks 'What's for dinner?' one more time, I am going to lose my ever loving mind!" 

I am in some sort of Ground Hog Day movie loop. I hate cooking, and am so good at it that everyone always wants me to cook. Talk about screwing up! I should have maintained my early married years incompetence!

• Haha 5

Dh loves to cook, and he has quite a few things.
His chocolate cheesecake (I think he actually developed the recipe) has been the "wedding" cakes for a niece and nephew.  (at niece's wedding, 4yo great niece went around to various adults to take her to get a piece of chocolate cheesecake - vanilla was also available, she didn't want it - she'd had FOUR pieces before the adults cottoned on to what she was doing.

for his nephew's wedding - he made a dozen . . .  

and his rolls.  nieces and nephews really look forward to them.  One niece was determined to make them for her out of state thanksgiving, so she was practicing for several weeks ahead of time, but they wouldn't turn out.  She was ON THE PHONE with him while making them, trying to figure out what was going wrong. . . . She was using a glass pan in a gas oven.   So, she got a metal pan and baked them at her neighbor's house.  They offered to take them off her hands for her.

He madeup a lasagna recipe years ago that required multiple for a large group dinner for the young adults at church.   He went out and bought a catering dish to bake it in.

what can I say, he really likes to cook.

Me - I have some things I do great - but the recipes are already out there and I just follow them.
though I do have a good touch for biscuits. (not sour cream - we use 1pt sour cream to 2pts milk.)  Which requires "the touch" so they'll turn out light.

Though that time mil had my baklava.  That was super satisfying.   She's half Armenian, and she was constantly . . . going on about her aunt's baklava.   It was years before I had any.  (different states) Finally, she brought some and I got to try it.  It was better than what you'll get at a restaurant (not hard), and very pretty (with bits of pistachio on top), BUT . . . I was fine stopping after one piece.    Ok - I did make some very slight changes to my baklava recipe I got from a greek cookbook.  (made more, but thinner, layers.  Holds together better too.)  She went nuts when she tried it. . . "It's better than _____!"  (from her, that's high praise.)

• Like 1

I really am a good cook now. But had I passed on during our younger years, I am pretty certain Mark would have put on my tombstone, "Suspected of attempting to poison her husband". It was just soooooo bad.

I do make a really mean set of chocolate chip scones. Dang it! I just typed that and now I want scones. Sigh. That means I have to bake, or tell my brain to shut up.

Sigh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have a whole recipe box full of “best of” recipes. They are all the ones I specially and specifically collected. Each time we had a potluck at work (yes, we had full on potlucks in our department. It was awesome) or a church potluck, I would usually taste something that I thought was the best version of that thing that I had ever tasted. I would then ask for the recipe. 

I would write “Sandra’s slaw” or “Lib’s coconut cake” on the card. I wanted to build this collection so every single thing I made would be the best it could be. My mom didn’t teach me how to cook. So after a few years of building my collection after getting married, I had a good box of recipes, and I felt like a really good cook!

I still have the box. There are some good southern gems in there. Unfortunately, (or fortunately?) I don’t use it now because these days our diet is different and I just don’t go to many of those anymore. 

But I was known for my carrot cake, which came from my Better Homes and Garden 1984 cookbook. The one that had many recipes that called for lard. Actual lard. I haven’t used that in forever. 

But the carrot cake….before my gluten free days…..oh, soooo good. 

And my banana pudding. People always talked about that. 

I hadn’t made the carrot cake in years. Last year, ds asked me to make one at Christmas, so I did. 

• Like 1

Y’all should have seen the first biscuits I ever made. I made them the week we came home from our honeymoon. They came out of the oven very tall and skinny. So tall and skinny that they were literally vertical and upright for a good length, then, toward the top, they began to lean to one side. They continued to lean and ended being very tall, thin leaning biscuits with a curve. People still laugh about that. Dh loves to tell the story of the first time I made biscuits. I later ended up being able to make good biscuits. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2