Menu

What has worked for your dog that eats super fast?

mommyoffive

We are dealing with this as well. What works may depend on age of dog.

• Kong has a Weeble Wobble feeder. It has a weighted bottom part. Works well I use in the morning every day while I get ready.
  • Starmark has Bob a lot. Same notion as the Kong. What I dont like about this one is the top is smaller and even the puppy can get her mouth around it and chew it up. They will replace the top 1x for free
  • A puzzle toy that looks like 3 tubes on a bar that spin- Delta new pup figured this out in 3 seconds. Dixie other dog who was older 5 y.o. would occupy herself with this.
  • 2 Puzzle games lifting covers, sliding boxes worked great with older dog but pup just takes the covers or pieces and runs off.
  • slow feeding dish great older dog, pup figured out how to tip it over in  seconds
  • snuffle mat worked great with older dog, pup just wants to tear at the fabric. I made ours they are easy to make.
  • rolling toy that drops food works great with pup older dog lost interest
  • Freezing kong with food Dixie lost interest right away havent tried with pup
  • During the day feeding I play "find it" with pup. I place single pieces of food around the room on the floor and she has to sniff it out. I also use feeding time to do her training. 
  • I  measure out her food for the day and put in a ziploc so that it is easier to keep track.

Both our dogs were Redbone Coonhounds and really food motivated. I think Weimaraner's are similar to that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, history-fan said:

We are dealing with this as well. What works may depend on age of dog.

• Kong has a Weeble Wobble feeder. It has a weighted bottom part. Works well I use in the morning every day while I get ready.
  • Starmark has Bob a lot. Same notion as the Kong. What I dont like about this one is the top is smaller and even the puppy can get her mouth around it and chew it up. They will replace the top 1x for free
  • A puzzle toy that looks like 3 tubes on a bar that spin- Delta new pup figured this out in 3 seconds. Dixie other dog who was older 5 y.o. would occupy herself with this.
  • 2 Puzzle games lifting covers, sliding boxes worked great with older dog but pup just takes the covers or pieces and runs off.
  • slow feeding dish great older dog, pup figured out how to tip it over in  seconds
  • snuffle mat worked great with older dog, pup just wants to tear at the fabric. I made ours they are easy to make.
  • rolling toy that drops food works great with pup older dog lost interest
  • Freezing kong with food Dixie lost interest right away havent tried with pup
  • During the day feeding I play "find it" with pup. I place single pieces of food around the room on the floor and she has to sniff it out. I also use feeding time to do her training. 
  • I  measure out her food for the day and put in a ziploc so that it is easier to keep track.

Both our dogs were Redbone Coonhounds and really food motivated. I think Weimaraner's are similar to that.

Funny you mention the age differences and how it might make a difference.  We rescued our other Weim at 7 years old and this Weim that we just rescued is 1 year old.   I would love to play find it with him but we have another dog and that is just harder to do.

• Like 1

It seems to me that most dogs who eat very fast aren't harmed by it. So unless he's throwing up my guess is it's not a true problem. But if you want to slow him down then (especially with another dog around) I'd get one of the bowls meant for slowing down fast eaters. They all seem to get good reviews. I might be inclined to get two or three different ones to make it harder for him to figure out a workaround. 'Cause Weims are smart and I bet given time he would.

• Like 1

As a person terrified of bloat, I tried every slow feeder I could get my hands on. Technically some of them were effective, but he chewed each one up, so there was that.

Scattering food worked too, but I don’t like to invite more bugs and critters into my garage than I get naturally.

Ultimately, the thing that worked best was for Sam to decide he doesn’t really like his food anymore and for me to continue buying it anyway. 😛 

Best of luck to you!

• Haha 1