Menu

Selling vintage sewing patterns - selling mom’s collections

City Mouse

Background: My mother passed away about a month ago. She was a hoarder.

My sister and I are in the process of trying to sell off as much of my mother’s “collections” as we can. I think I have found a resource for selling the salt shakers, so I can move on to the next things.

There are several boxes of vintage sewing pattern that have never been used. I have found places online to purchase individual patterns, but I haven’t found anyone who will buy them from me in a large amount. I have no interest in selling individual items. Does anyone have any suggestions for me. I don’t mind giving them away, but I don’t  like the idea of them going to the trash which is what I think might happen if I give them to the local thrift store.

Edited by City Mouse

If you’re on Instagram, I follow a girl named Serena (insta handle is Sewrena_ and she’s a vintage pattern collector. She wears vintage clothes that she makes almost all the time…it’s pretty neat.  She might not  buy them but I bet she’d put them to good use if they were gifted to her. 

• Like 4

Wish I was closer to you as we are hunting a few vintage patterns.  

On market place and eBay- list as lots of ten.  They sell pretty nice that way.  I have bought a few that way.  Also, see if you have any sewing centers near you that give classes? They usually welcome free complete patterns and fabric.

Edited by itsheresomewhere

2 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Wish I was closer to you as we are hunting a few vintage patterns.  

On market place and eBay- list as lots of ten.  They sell pretty nice that way.  I have bought a few that way.  Also, see if you have any sewing centers near you that give classes? They usually welcome free complete patterns and fabric.

Well, the patterns are in East Texas where my mom lived if that’s any closer. 😀

I could probably manage lots of 10. Thanks for the suggestion.

Agreeing with Ebay or Marketplace.
Even if you don't sew, you can likely recognize similarities enough to sort them into similar stacks.
(For example, I just love vintage Laura Ashley patterns . . . which are sold individually on ebay often)

But it also depends on how much time & effort you can invest in selling.

If you're on FB, you could possibly join a Vintage Sewing FB group & try to sell/donate that way.

They are gems for the right niche of sewists!  😉
(Personally, I just wait for friends to donate their stash to me!)

• Like 2

If you are in East Texas, I'd suggest contacting one of the local Estate Sale companies. They often combine families stuff at an estate sale. I think they take 40%, but it might be an easy way to get rid of a lot of stuff in an easy manner.  If you have a collection of something valuable or collectible, they advertise and folks interested in that specific area tend to watch the ads and show up for the sale. 

Oh! East Texas. I sell vintage patterns at a local antique market and on Etsy. I am not too far from East Texas. 
You can contact antique markets in that area and see if they have any dealers interested in buying them in bulk. My market does that. Just know that if you sell to a reseller, you will need to allow room for them to also get a profit. Patterns generally go for $1-2 at estate sales. At antique markets or online, they can go for $5-20, depending on graphics and condition. Some obviously will go for more. 

• Like 1

Estate sale company all the way. 

Yes, you will pay 30% - 40% commission, but you are not dealing with it. And they are much more likely to notice if you have anything valuable lurking in any of the collections. 

Look at the prices for actual sold lots of vintage patterns on eBay. Not at all worth it, imo, and you're not going to recognize if any of the patterns are in high demand. 

• 4 months later...
On 10/28/2023 at 3:44 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

There is a person who buys in bulk vintage patterns and resells them. I can't think of her name right now, but her last name is Canada or something like that. 

Will look it up for you

Did you ever find the name of this person?