Menu

Pumpkin Spiced Salmon

itsheresomewhere

Just now, itsheresomewhere said:

Doesn’t it make you want to know who thought it was a combination people desired.  

Yes! It's not like one person thought this up and tried it at home. If it's for sale in a store, even a small one that's not part of a chain, multiple people had to agree that this was a great idea and that people would want it.

I kind of want to stalk the seafood section and see if anybody actually buys it!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Catwoman said:

Yes! It's not like one person thought this up and tried it at home. If it's for sale in a store, even a small one that's not part of a chain, multiple people had to agree that this was a great idea and that people would want it.

I kind of want to stalk the seafood section and see if anybody actually buys it!

Based on how many were there, I’d say very few. 

• Haha 3

My (late) grandfather used to love to go to Alaska for salmon & halibut fishing. They’d get it flash frozen and shipped back with dry ice. Grandma tried all sorts of ways of cooking it over the years. By far the grossest I tasted was with brown butter & cinnamon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Katy said:

My (late) grandfather used to love to go to Alaska for salmon & halibut fishing. They’d get it flash frozen and shipped back with dry ice. Grandma tried all sorts of ways of cooking it over the years. By far the grossest I tasted was with brown butter & cinnamon. 

Brown sugar and black pepper are pretty tasty on salmon but I would say yeah no to the cinnamon. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

It might sound different if you weren't in the habit of calling those ingredients 'pumpkin pie spice.'

Well, the name definitely doesn't help! 😂

But that combination of spices sounds like it would be disgusting on salmon, even without the questionable name. 

3 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Well, the name definitely doesn't help! 😂

But that combination of spices sounds like it would be disgusting on salmon, even without the questionable name. 

You might be surprised. Those spices have been used like that around the world for centuries.

Look at old American cookbooks and they put nutmeg in everything.

1 minute ago, Rosie_0801 said:

You might be surprised. Those spices have been used like that around the world for centuries.

I buy jars of prepared pumpkin pie spice (which is probably exactly what they are using on that salmon,) and just the thought of that flavor on salmon is enough to make me queasy. 

It's not so much the individual spices that is so gross to me; it's the exact way they are combined in the jars of pumpkin spice mix. 

25 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Yeah but I think that was because nutmeg was cheap. Not because it tasted great on everything 

• Like 1

Apparently I’m wrong. Nutmeg was incredibly expensive in the middle ages so it was in almost every recipe but used in comparatively few. Maybe it was still widely used in the 1800’s because a hunk of nutmeg traveled well and didn’t easily break or spill. https://www.nuproductsseasoning.com/nuspotlight/recipes/nutmeg-classic-and-medieval-recipes/

• Like 2

Just now, Katy said:

Apparently I’m wrong. Nutmeg was incredibly expensive in the middle ages so it was in almost every recipe but used in comparatively few. Maybe it was still widely used in the 1800’s because a hunk of nutmeg traveled well and didn’t easily break or spill. https://www.nuproductsseasoning.com/nuspotlight/recipes/nutmeg-classic-and-medieval-recipes/

That makes sense! I had assumed it was probably cheap, too, but even if it was expensive, a little nutmeg goes a LONG way, and it's something that would stay good for a long time. 

Every time I add "just a little extra" nutmeg to anything, it always ends up being "way too much." 

1 hour ago, itsheresomewhere said:

We have gone too far people.  My local store is selling this. It is just salmon with pumpkin pie seasoning.

But is it wild salmon?  (after being given some winter caught king from a commercial fisherman client of dh's, .  yeah, I'll take it when I can't get copper river sockeye.) 

or Atlantic farmed salmon that has no flavor of its own, and little nutritional value?

we have a saying in our family.  Friends don't' let friends eat farmed salmon.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rosie_0801 said:

It might sound different if you weren't in the habit of calling those ingredients 'pumpkin pie spice.'

no.

we buy the spices individually

1 hour ago, Katy said:

blink blink.  ALASKA salmon????  Heresay!. . . . (insert fainting emoji)
butter and lemon over indirect coals.
The local Indians do a salmon dinner at Tillicum Village  - the salmon is smoked over alderwood fires. that's it.

You put junk on salmon that has no flavor.

13 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

But is it wild salmon?  (after being given some winter caught king from a commercial fisherman client of dh's, .  yeah, I'll take it when I can't get copper river sockeye.) 

or Atlantic farmed salmon that has no flavor of its own, and little nutritional value?

we have a saying in our family.  Friends don't' let friends eat farmed salmon.

Lol.  I actually looked at that and it is wild caught salmon.  

4 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

no.

we buy the spices individually

blink blink.  ALASKA salmon????  Heresay!. . . . (insert fainting emoji)
butter and lemon over indirect coals.
The local Indians do a salmon dinner at Tillicum Village  - the salmon is smoked over alderwood fires. that's it.

You put junk on salmon that has no flavor.

But salmon baked with a layer of quality pesto is delicious!

• Like 1