Menu

Politics board?

Jaybee

18 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

I would like to join the politics board, but I don't remember how.

If you’re looking for talk about the terrorist invasion of Israel and war crimes perpetrated against the people of Israel, there are no threads about Israel at all.

As of about 5 mins ago.

1 minute ago, pinball said:

If you’re looking for talk about the terrorist invasion of Israel and war crimes perpetrated against the people of Israel, there are no threads about Israel at all.

As of about 5 mins ago.

Though theoretically one can start a thread if one wishes to talk…

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, pinball said:

As of about 5 mins ago.

Your thread yesterday disappeared.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Also, speaking very generally...no one has said bad actions are good.

No, but apparently saying that bad actions are bad is politics, not just basic humanity.  Or at least, saying bad actions are bad when they happen to certain people.  We discussed how bad actions are bad ad nauseum when it was the Russians that were committing atrocities.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pinball said:

As of about 5 mins ago.

Well, that, but also I've been meaning to join for awhile. I may not stay if it gets too stressful and I decide I'd rather bury my head for sanity's sake, but I will try it.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

Well, that, but also I've been meaning to join for awhile. I may not stay if it gets too stressful and I decide I'd rather bury my head for sanity's sake, but I will try it.

That’s always good to recognize when you need to protect yourself by not subjecting yourself to too much news/information.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Condessa said:

No, but apparently saying that bad actions are bad is politics, not just basic humanity.  Or at least, saying bad actions are bad when they happen to certain people.  We discussed how bad actions are bad ad nauseum when it was the Russians that were committing atrocities.  

Oh my. I do avoid news but just saw of the 40 babies and how horrible🥺.

Yes, I don't understand the dismissal, the silence, and the silencing/censorship. It is inhumane.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Condessa said:

No, but apparently saying that bad actions are bad is politics, not just basic humanity.  

Well...to be fair the "politics" label is applied to lots of issues I would consider to be about basic human rights. And, yes, that has irked me in the past when I've tried to talk about some of those things. 

Sometimes we do a good job keeping discussions politically neutral. It can be done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MercyA said:

Well...to be fair the "politics" label is applied to lots of issues I would consider to be about basic human rights. And, yes, that has irked me in the past when I've tried to talk about some of those things. 

Sometimes we do a good job keeping discussions politically neutral. It can be done. 

This topic has been deemed too political for discussion even when it has remained completely politically neutral.  The last thread asking for sources to learn about historical context of the region was shut down with a “you have enough sources now, we’re done” even though it was totally neutral and civil.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dianthus said:

Oh my. I do avoid news but just saw of the 40 babies and how horrible🥺.

Yes, I don't understand the dismissal, the silence, and the silencing/censorship. It is inhumane.

I am deeply disappointed that even here, where I generally consider the posters as being mostly thinking, compassionate folks who know their history, they are actively shutting down all discussion and information sharing about the atrocities.  Why should this be a point of political contention?  Why should we treat war crimes against one people differently than we do another?  

The historical conflict doesn’t make these kinds of acts justifiable and therefore contentious.  If the Cherokee decided to take their revenge for past wrongs and slaughtered the population of Tulsa tomorrow, or indigenous Australians murdered the children of Melbourne in their beds, or any other wronged group raped women en masse and then posted the videos of themselves to the internet, would it all be deemed too controversial because they, too, have experienced atrocities?  Would it be wiped out of public discussion?

I can’t think of any other group that we would collectively turn away from this kind of blatant evil being committed against.  It is disgusting, and I am ashamed.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

If you guys have complaints about moderation, take it up with Susan. 

From the board rules:

"Threads about how the boards should be run differently, laments about how much more/less welcoming the board is/was now/in the past, and criticisms of the moderators should be posted on...someone else's board. "