Menu

October craft thread

Melissa in Australia

I am in the middle of hand piecing a quilt that I hope to have finished by the time DS15 graduates. It is very, very slow, but relaxing work.

I am also making a felt Santa and sleigh. It's totally useless, but very fun. I find sewing felt things to be one of the most delightful types of projects. There is just no stress to them -- and I have a new book shelf that has a bare top, so I even have a place to put them and cycle them out throughout the year.

... And they give me an excuse to avoid working on a shirt that I want to make. I have the muslin pieces cut out, but there are some new-to-me techniques that seem scary. I know *how* to do them; I just haven't felt up for the potential frustration. It's ridiculous. Once I get going, I'll be fine.

Edited by Amoret
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

1. Sewing machine project-Finishing oldest's wedding quilt for their 5 year anniversary photo shoot on Oct. 19th. She picked the pattern and I bought the fabric 2 years ago then had neck issues that put it on the back burner.  A month of physical therapy has me up and running again.

2. Hand sewing project-Using up scraps of reds, whites, and light greens for a yo yo chain I'm making into a Christmas tree garland with silver beads. I sew while my husband and I listen to an audio book in the evenings. I think I'll be done by this weekend.

3. Next hand sewing project-I bought fabric and ordered templates today.  It's a Daisy and Grace diamond and triangle set of templates to make a diamond quilt for spring decor in the living room. It's my first quilt as you go.

4. Next sewing machine project-red and white quilt for living room decor for winter (Christmas-Valentine's Day.) It's a quilt as you go easy cathedral windows-reds in the background, white trim. I'm using 5 in. charm packs.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Hello Crafters!

It's nice to hear that you are home and crafting again, @Melissa in Australia!

My most recent sewing project was the Joanie blouse from Sew Liberated.  I made the shawl collar option because I love shawl collars. The fabric is a breathable, dreamy double gauze.

Otherwise...things are slow going on my end.  Still knitting the same colorwork hat that I started in August. I'm playing around with freehand sashiko. I cut out a vest from a merino plaid that is intended as a gift. Keeping fingers crossed that the plaid will match.

Joanie.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

I finished two long sleeve T-shirts in the last two weeks. Different patterns, but ones I've done before.

I've resurrected a long neglected (multiple years!) knitting project. I'm hoping to finish it and reclaim the project bag and some favorite stitch markers.

PXL_20231008_145342799.jpg

PXL_20230924_200341224~2.jpg

Edited by Miss Tick
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I finished a toddler quilt for my little love. He is obsessed with yellow construction equipment, so I had a lot of fun with this. I'll send little vehicles with it, just the right size for his little hands. 

ETA:  PSA -- if you're making something like this with very precise measurements and trim that need to be square, also take into account that the printed design may not be printed correctly on the fabric. On the gray side of this, the printed pattern was longer on one side than on the other by 9/16ths of an inch difference over 4 feet. It's pretty sad because I worked very hard to square the whole thing, including meticulously squaring the fabric because I was worried about the printing being crooked. It's mathematically *exactly* right, but the pattern looks a bit off (the quilted stripe, which aligns with the pattern on the gray fabric, is lower on one side than the other) because the pattern was not printed on the fabric correctly. I really don't know what I could have done differently other than fudge the spacing a bit over the entire length of the quilt, if I had realized the pattern was "wider" on one side than on the other.

I won't make any more quilts on a design with a stripe.

20231003_220052.jpg

20231003_215401.jpg

20231003_215649.jpg

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

I finished a toddler quilt for my little love. He is obsessed with yellow construction equipment, so I had a lot of fun with this. I'll send little vehicles with it, just the right size for his little hands. 

ETA:  PSA -- if you're making something like this with very precise measurements and trim that need to be square, also take into account that the printed design may not be printed correctly on the fabric. On the gray side of this, the printed pattern was longer on one side than on the other by 9/16ths of an inch difference over 4 feet. It's pretty sad because I worked very hard to square the whole thing, including meticulously squaring the fabric because I was worried about the printing being crooked. It's mathematically *exactly* right, but the pattern looks a bit off (the quilted stripe, which follows the pattern on the fabric, is lower on one side than the other) because the pattern was not printed on the fabric correctly. I really don't know what I could have done differently other than fudge the spacing a bit over the entire length of the quilt, if I had realized the pattern was "wider" on one side than on the other.

I won't make any more quilts on a design with a stripe.

20231003_220052.jpg

20231003_215401.jpg

20231003_215649.jpg

What a great quilt! The frustration of printed fabric is real, though. However, no one but you will know, so there's that. Did you design it yourself? The fabric suits the quilt design so well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

What a great quilt! The frustration of printed fabric is real, though. However, no one but you will know, so there's that. Did you design it yourself? The fabric suits the quilt design so well.

Sadly, you can look at it and see that the area below the lower "stripe" of fabric is a bit off, narrower at the left side than at the right. 9 out of 10 people won't notice it, but little bit's mama will. She quilts, so hopefully she will understand, but I wanted to do it well to please her, too. (I don't really like it when someone does a shoddy bit of work, either, but I really did try....this was something I couldn't have known.) The only way to not have it noticeable would be to cut the quilt out of square, but then it would have shown on the front due to the yellow trim. I figured little bit would like the front better, so I left it alone.

Yes, I designed it, spent way too much time trying permutations before I got something I really liked. 🙂 I wanted a zipper pocket built into it for the pillow, but it would have been too thick, too many layers of fabric. (I have a cute orange zipper with chunky black teeth.)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

I finished two long sleeve T-shirts in the last two weeks. Different patterns, but ones I've done before.

I've resurrected a long neglected (multiple years!) knitting project. I'm hoping to finish it and reclaim the project bag and some favorite stitch markers.

PXL_20231008_145342799.jpg

PXL_20230924_200341224~2.jpg

This is so cute!

• Thanks 1

I have started scrapbooking projects thst I abandoned 2 years ago when we moved. I make 8x8 albums for all my 13 grandkids. I give them to them after they turn 5…youngest will be 5 in January so it’s her time. I am skdi working on finishing youngest son’s school years albums. His baby album and highschool years are done, just have K thru 8th grade . I am thst  Homeschool mom who saved way more than she should have but my fin is excited to read done if his stories he write. Thus project will take awhile yet. 
Sewing is still my first love, but right now I am putting new vinyl sleeves in a great jacket for my grandson . He is 14 and finds some great stuff at his local thrift store. Jacket is like a carhart fabric with black vinyl sleeves that have deteriorated. “ Grandma can fix anything” is my kids and grandkids motto.

This jacket is worth the effort, I just have to find the soft vinyl. I am trying to talk myself out of taking all the neck and bottom ribbing  off , turning it inside out and putting it back on. It is fuzzy on the outside but the inside of the cuffs look great. 😎

• Like 6

On 10/9/2023 at 9:18 AM, KatieJ said:

This jacket is worth the effort, I just have to find the soft vinyl. I am trying to talk myself out of taking all the neck and bottom ribbing  off , turning it inside out and putting it back on. It is fuzzy on the outside but the inside of the cuffs look great. 😎

This is my life. Knowing what would make something truly spectacular or a work of art...and then struggling to make it happen.

I recently finished two more bookmarks. The first is for a friend who is a big fan of The New Yorker magazine; hers is for an imaginary book. The second one is a Christmas gift for my brother-in-law who is a Civil War buff (he will get the bookmark and the actual book it represents).

Fronts:

20231020_104507.thumb.jpg.7b5797b72559153f350adcef7537ae1b.jpg

Backs:

20231020_104540.thumb.jpg.77697b2eb0138d941cbacd6fc5685fe3.jpg

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

I don't know what made me decide that after 10+ years of not sewing plus getting used to a new machine, my 3rd project would be a knit top. And not just knit but very stretchy knit. It was also my first time using a PDF pattern (Ellie & Mac Autumn Spice top). Oh, and color blocking with knits too. What was I thinking?😂

It took me a while to practice different stitches and I ended up using a lightning stitch. I had a serger that was collecting dust so I gave it to my cousin's daughter several years ago. I don't really regret getting rid of it, but projects like this one make me wonder if I should have made more of an effort to learn to use it. Anyway -

The flat photo isn't the best. The neckband is smooth though it doesn't look like it in that pic.

20231018_135604.thumb.jpg.59c050b143353f11a47a2dcece83d47a.jpg20231018_135040.thumb.jpg.c1d5974c3fee775ad85d8271771bd257.jpg20231018_134930.thumb.jpg.a2d5561a6df8b7b3d1964910fd4244c0.jpg

• Like 14

28 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I don't know what made me decide that after 10+ years of not sewing plus getting used to a new machine, my 3rd project would be a knit top. And not just knit but very stretchy knit. It was also my first time using a PDF pattern (Ellie & Mac Autumn Spice top). Oh, and color blocking with knits too. What was I thinking?😂

It took me a while to practice different stitches and I ended up using a lightning stitch. I had a serger that was collecting dust so I gave it to my cousin's daughter several years ago. I don't really regret getting rid of it, but projects like this one make me wonder if I should have made more of an effort to learn to use it. Anyway -

The flat photo isn't the best. The neckband is smooth though it doesn't look like it in that pic.

20231018_135604.thumb.jpg.59c050b143353f11a47a2dcece83d47a.jpg20231018_135040.thumb.jpg.c1d5974c3fee775ad85d8271771bd257.jpg20231018_134930.thumb.jpg.a2d5561a6df8b7b3d1964910fd4244c0.jpg

That looks great! Nice job getting the top of the color blocks on the body and sleeve to line up. I've found I can get away with straight stitch for a majority of the seams on my knit shirts. I don't really have room for a serger so I keep trying different work-arounds.

• Like 3

This weekend I took a break from some projects requiring precision to do some stress relief sewing that required no precision.  I made a crumb block of some teeny tiny scraps and made it into a potholder.

Bonus, I also got motivated to color sort and organize my scraps.

3FF6A54F-8386-4294-A587-C49B145097F8.thumb.jpeg.37459fa493111d2ae526408b148fe293.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

It is really cute. I like it!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Love the combination 

It is very slimmimg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

That looks great! Nice job getting the top of the color blocks on the body and sleeve to line up. 

Thanks. The sleeve cuff was interesting. I had been warned that pdf patterns are different than the big four and can sometimes be incomplete. This was one small example of that. They show photos of both long and short sleeves on the website. Both long and short sleeves can be with or without the cuff. However, I cut out the cuff pattern and when I went to use it I realized it's only sized for long sleeves, which means it's at the wrist. On most people the wrist is smaller than the upper arm and there was no adjustment for that anywhere in the pattern or instructions. The sleeves were already on the shirt and sewn along with the side seams.  I had to measure the sleeve then cut out a new cuff the right size for my arm. I'm glad it was just a small problem that was easily fixable but it taught me to look more closely at pdf patterns from now on.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Thanks. The sleeve cuff was interesting. I had been warned that pdf patterns are different than the big four and can sometimes be incomplete. This was one small example of that. They show photos of both long and short sleeves on the website. Both long and short sleeves can be with or without the cuff. However, I cut out the cuff pattern and when I went to use it I realized it's only sized for long sleeves, which means it's at the wrist. On most people the wrist is smaller than the upper arm and there was no adjustment for that anywhere in the pattern or instructions. The sleeves were already on the shirt and sewn along with the side seams.  I had to measure the sleeve then cut out a new cuff the right size for my arm. I'm glad it was just a small problem that was easily fixable but it taught me to look more closely at pdf patterns from now on.

You did a wonderful job!

As a long time (over 50 years) sewer of knit fabrics, I can assure you the PDF patterns are my preference over the big 4 always. Kwik Sew patterns are no longer available, but they were my go to patterns for decades. PDF are very similiar.

I will suggest Love Notions patterns over every other PDF  pattern I have tried. They have very clear directions, many videos and their online support is amazing! If you have FB, join their group. They have a free code there for the Laundry Day Tee, which is my favorite for my body style. They have “ambassadors” who continually monitor their FB page to answer questions. 

• Thanks 2

I finished the jacket…and yes, I did tske off the neck and bottom ribbing and turn it right side out. It was worth it.

My last step was to do top stitching at the cuff, on the vinyl.

I had both sleeves done before I realized I used the gold thread instead of the black. 
I am sure my grandson won’t even notice, but i would be unhappy every I wore it if it was mine!

IMG_3640.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KatieJ said:

I finished the jacket…and yes, I did tske off the neck and bottom ribbing and turn it right side out. It was worth it.

That looks like new!

Have you ever refashioned a woven shirt? My dd bought a vintage men's shirt in a great dragon print, and we are pondering trying to size it for her. I'm thinking if I unpick the shirt sleeves and side seams I might be able to get something reasonable. Not going for "fitted," just "less boxy". I'm hoping to get a good look at it this weekend. There is probably a YouTube video out there that will show me exactly what to do, but I don't have the patience to search for it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

That looks like new!

Have you ever refashioned a woven shirt? My dd bought a vintage men's shirt in a great dragon print, and we are pondering trying to size it for her. I'm thinking if I unpick the shirt sleeves and side seams I might be able to get something reasonable. Not going for "fitted," just "less boxy". I'm hoping to get a good look at it this weekend. There is probably a YouTube video out there that will show me exactly what to do, but I don't have the patience to search for it.

Thank you!

Well, no I can’t  say that I have done that exactly, but  I have remodeled clothes many times.  Some successfully, some not.

You are on the tight track tho. The sleeve should hit the shoulder right at the top.Then I would take in the sleeves , basting  first maybe not as far as the cuff…just less baggy.  Then I would BASTE the side seams until you like the fit.

Be sure to check the armscyth to make sure it is not too small. It likely will be. Easy adjustment is to cut the under seam deeper, easing back up to rest of armscyth. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I use a lot of pdf patterns  I would reccomend  contacting the seller. I have done this before and they hadn't realised and have adjusted the pattern. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Like @KatieJ, I've become a big fan of PDF patterns in part to support creative people and their small business endeavors.  I also like how a number of these indie pattern people will have online tutorials available.  For example, when I stitched a knit henley using a 5 out of 4 pattern, I appreciated the tips for stitching the placket given in the online video.

The rust colored blouse that I posted upstream is from Sew Liberated.  I didn't like the way they did something in the pattern instructions so I sent an email suggesting that it would be a neater finish to do something else. Within a day I had a response from one of their team members who said that I was using a more advanced sewing technique.  They wanted to stick to a more straightforward process. And this is something that I like about the Indies.  You can ask questions, share photos. It's nice.

What I don't like about PDF patterns is taping them together with scotch tape.  I usually pay to have the print shop pages printed for me to work from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/25/2023 at 4:16 AM, Miss Tick said:

That looks like new!

If you body blocked her, that'd give you the right shape, wouldn't it?

9 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

If you body blocked her, that'd give you the right shape, wouldn't it?

Do you mean getting the measurements for her body, plus some wiggle room? That is what I'm hoping. The fiddly part I would like to avoid is making changes where the collar attaches to the shirt.

Here's a picture of the dragon print:

PXL_20231026_125928501.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

Do you mean getting the measurements for her body, plus some wiggle room? 

Maybe it is called something else? Four panels of calico, two on her front, two on her back, and you pin and repin until it fits her exactly, then run a marker over where the pins end up to get a pattern of her body. 

2 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Maybe it is called something else? Four panels of calico, two on her front, two on her back, and you pin and repin until it fits her exactly, then run a marker over where the pins end up to get a pattern of her body. 

Ah, I see! I think you used the correct terminology and I've just historically been more of a "seat of my pants" sewist 😁

• Like 1

I wanted to share a link for a knit T-shirt pattern with my sewist friends. The Sunday V-neck is a freebie from the Friday Pattern Co. I made one for a gift, this in stretch merino. I really like the curve on the raglan sleeve. Interesting method for attaching the neck band --and it works! https://fridaypatterncompany.com/blogs/blog/free-pattern-the-sunday-v-neck

PXL_20231026_153207270.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jane in NC said:

I wanted to share a link for a knit T-shirt pattern with my sewist friends. The Sunday V-neck is a freebie from the Friday Pattern Co. I made one for a gift, this in stretch merino. I really like the curve on the raglan sleeve. Interesting method for attaching the neck band --and it works! https://fridaypatterncompany.com/blogs/blog/free-pattern-the-sunday-v-neck

PXL_20231026_153207270.jpg

I am going to check this out. I have been looking for patterns that are v neck where I could make the V deep enough it can be pulled over the head and not need to be a stretch knit. I hate knits. I love quilter's cotton and how durable or they are. My buttonhole attachment is broken, and my machine is 23 years old. I have not been able to buy another one. This pattern might work. I would love to make shirts for myself and if I can find this for children, the grandkids.

10 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I am going to check this out. I have been looking for patterns that are v neck where I could make the V deep enough it can be pulled over the head and not need to be a stretch knit. I hate knits. I love quilter's cotton and how durable or they are. My buttonhole attachment is broken, and my machine is 23 years old. I have not been able to buy another one. This pattern might work. I would love to make shirts for myself and if I can find this for children, the grandkids.

I don't think the neck band on the Friday Pattern shirt would work with a quilting cotton. But I can recommend a basic top that would, Simplicity 8523.

https://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/6582

I've made this out of fabrics with more drape that quilting cotton but I think you could make it work.

11 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Another pattern for woven v-neck that you might check out is the Verdun t-shirt. They have periodic sales. I've made 3 or 4 out of quilting cotton. I add an inch or so all around and the slightly high-low hem does nice, disguising things for my rear.

One of mine uses this scientist pattern cotton which I think might appeal to you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Jane in NC said:

I don't think the neck band on the Friday Pattern shirt would work with a quilting cotton. But I can recommend a basic top that would, Simplicity 8523.

https://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/6582

I've made this out of fabrics with more drape that quilting cotton but I think you could make it work.

I love patterns with so many options like that! It makes it easy to feel like I'm getting my $'s worth. I see it includes a square neckline which I've been noticing a lot lately.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

Another pattern for woven v-neck that you might check out is the Verdun t-shirt. They have periodic sales. I've made 3 or 4 out of quilting cotton. I add an inch or so all around and the slightly high-low hem does nice, disguising things for my rear.

One of mine uses this scientist pattern cotton which I think might appeal to you.

The Verdun has a faced hem which is something I like with drapey fabrics.  And cup sizes! That looks like a winner.

• Like 2