Menu

VR headsets?

Janeway

I'm completely ignorant about them other than ds1 (in his 30s) has one and uses his often.  He brings it home with him when he visits and shares it with the rest of the family and they all have fun with it, but I don't know what they are doing.  They look hilarious.  😛

Beatsaber on Oculus gets played here.  It costs money to get new song packs, but I think we have 3 now — 1 lasts a long time, and he still does previous song packs because they are songs he likes.

I think we have one other game that turned out to be more of a novelty.  (Edit:  well, it was played and then they finished playing…. It’s not that it was gimmicky…)

I don’t think it was a great purchase, but I don’t think it was a horrible purchase, either.  

Edit:  I looked at a list of games, and Half Life: Alyx was popular here, but there hasn’t been another game like that (that was popular).  But if another game comes out that would be exciting, I do think we might get it.  But this and Beatsaber are the only games we have had, I think.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

We've had one for 2 years and it still gets used daily by multiple kids. I would use it too if it didn't smell like kids. I've considered getting my own.

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

Our household is on its second one. My 12yo plays probably about every other day and the 16yo once or twice a week. They love it.

I love it, too, but I can’t handle the feel of the headset for more than 15-20 minutes, so I might use it a few times a year.

Which one would you recommend?

On 9/14/2023 at 3:45 PM, Indigo Blue said:

My son took me inside the Titanic. What a surreal experience. He’s a Titanic buff, so I got a guided tour with tidbits of information, facts, and trivia. I’ll never forget that. 

How did he do that? My son is a huge Titanic buff.

On 9/14/2023 at 2:48 PM, Momof4sweetkids said:

You might have him try one first. It gives my husband and I headaches fairly quickly. Beat saber is very fun though.

Maybe check to see if your library has one.  Ours does.  That's a great way to try one out before purchasing. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Janeway said:

How did he do that? My son is a huge Titanic buff.

I just meant that I went inside the VR version of the Titanic. It was so unimaginably real and detailed. He was guiding me and telling me about everything as I went. 

Or if you were asking about which VR game it was, it wasn’t a game at all. I don’t know if he got it through Steam. It was just a quiet, vacant ship that you could explore in extreme life-like detail, including the boiler room. The carpet and furniture are exactly replicated. You can walk down the endlessly long corridors where the state rooms are and enter them. If anyone has a VR set or plans to get one, I highly recommend this. I just don’t know to get it. I could find out if anyone wants to know. 

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 2

https://store.steampowered.com/app/741430/Titanic_VR/

Maybe this is the game about the Titanic?

Our VR games are purchased through Steam, it’s what we use anyway, and we also use a desktop computer.  

I have no idea if other people are using a desktop computer and Steam, or if that matters or is just a preference.  

Edit:  at least I think so

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1