Menu

Prednisone Insomnia

popmom

I am so messed up! I spent close to a week in bed with AI flare up, so I broke down and contacted my rheumy who immediately called in a script for a 12 day prednisone taper. Of course I feel like a new woman today! But I'm on my second night of no sleep. It's crazy the difference this stuff makes. I'm not even on that high a dose.

I feel like scrubbing the grout in my bathroom or something, and it's 2 am here. 

I. Am. Wired. 

I know I shouldn't be on a screen, but... ugh. I did read for awhile. Anything else I do makes noise, so I'm just surfing the 'net.

I'm not complaining--seriously. I am SO grateful to be feeling well. It's just almost comical the difference--going from not being able to sit up to...the energizer bunny!

Inflammation is weird. So weird.

Maybe I'll start some seeds in a minute. That wouldn't make much noise.

Edited by popmom
typo
  • Like 7

Glad you feel better but sorry you can't sleep.   I think most who are on prednisone have a love/hate relationship with it.   I have only taken in a handful of times and hated it more than loved it, but you are right, it does help with the inflammation and energy levels.

• Like 1

This was always so hard when our kids had asthma flare ups, steroids plus albuterol had them bouncing off walls and super hungry. They called prednisone “the cheeseburger medicine” because of how hungry it made them. 

I assume you know this but just on the outside chance you don’t, take them early in the morning. Even doing this, we spent a lot of very late nights watching movies with wide-eyed kids. 

Hope you feel better soon. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Grace Hopper said:

This was always so hard when our kids had asthma flare ups, steroids plus albuterol had them bouncing off walls and super hungry.

I found this out with ds3 when he was an infant and hospitalized with bronchiolitis.  I mistakenly thought he would sleep a lot because he was sick and I stayed with him and expected to get some extra rest myself (I was exhausted with breastfed instant twins who never slept and a preschooler at home).  Oh boy, he was so hyped up and nursed so much that I had no problem keeping up my milk supply for twins even though I was only with one most of the time.  I'm sure most of the nursing was from stress, but maybe he was hungrier too.  But he hardly slept/

• Like 2

Girl, clean that house!! 😂😉👍🏻

My prednisone times are my most productive times. I vacuum behind my fridge, clean my light fixtures, power wash my exterior, paint rooms, whatever. I keep a running chore list so I can use that feeling good time wisely.

I’ve been on the edge of needing to call in for a flare, and I’ve been looking around and making my list. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

My prednisone times are my most productive times. I vacuum behind my fridge, clean my light fixtures, power wash my exterior, paint rooms, whatever. I keep a running chore list so I can use that feeling good time wisely.

I’ve been on the edge of needing to call in for a flare, and I’ve been looking around and making my list. 

Okay so my house is pretty messy since I was out of commission for a bit, but my ADHD doesn’t understand priorities and has me stripping old wallpaper! 😂

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Dh gets insomnia with prednisone.  I wish he would clean the house!

Seriously though.  He usually gets the doctor to give him Ambien too.  He usually gets 1 or 2 nights of sleep before it quits working.  By then he’s at least feeling some better.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, athena1277 said:

Dh gets insomnia with prednisone.  I wish he would clean the house!

Seriously though.  He usually gets the doctor to give him Ambien too.  He usually gets 1 or 2 nights of sleep before it quits working.  By then he’s at least feeling some better.

I am too chicken to try Ambien, but it definitely crossed my mind last night! 

The last time I did this dose, I didn't get insomnia this bad. It was the week of the wedding though. I'm not sure why that would make a difference. Maybe I was just physically more tired from all the work. 

26 minutes ago, popmom said:

I am too chicken to try Ambien, but it definitely crossed my mind last night! 

The last time I did this dose, I didn't get insomnia this bad. It was the week of the wedding though. I'm not sure why that would make a difference. Maybe I was just physically more tired from all the work. 

Or maybe last time your mind was more occupied with an urgent to-do list? 

If you knit or crochet, that’s a quiet busy thing. I mean I know you’d rather sleep but if you’ve also got the fidgets, doing something like that might help. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

Or maybe last time your mind was more occupied with an urgent to-do list? 

If you knit or crochet, that’s a quiet busy thing. I mean I know you’d rather sleep but if you’ve also got the fidgets, doing something like that might help. 

I don't knit or crochet, but I have been wanting to pick up cross stitch again! Thank you for reminding me!

I have already decided that if I cannot get to sleep tonight I will declutter the "kitchenette" area in the basement. It's right by the door to our garage, so lots of stuff accumulates on the counter. No one can hear anything down there. 🙂 I need to wash the slipcover in the basement den, too, so that's on my list. Then put the clean duvet cover back on the bed down there. Clean the area where my hydroponics stuff is--also in the basement. I've got a good plan for tonight. 

Trying to stay off screens at least.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/25/2023 at 10:13 AM, Grace Hopper said:

This was always so hard when our kids had asthma flare ups, steroids plus albuterol had them bouncing off walls and super hungry. They called prednisone “the cheeseburger medicine” because of how hungry it made them. 

I assume you know this but just on the outside chance you don’t, take them early in the morning. Even doing this, we spent a lot of very late nights watching movies with wide-eyed kids. 

Hope you feel better soon. 

YTou can get levalbuterol which doesn't make you have insomnia.  I had to go on this after having such severe insomnia with it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

YTou can get levalbuterol which doesn't make you have insomnia.  I had to go on this after having such severe insomnia with it. 

That’s what they gave my youngest, years down the road from the oldest kid.  Yes, not as bad. But steroids at the same time still give the munchies! And some jitters, but not as bad as when combined with albuterol. 

• Like 1