Menu

Well-trained bodies - August

Laura Corin

I was awake enough to go for the early morning dog walk, but our old fella was not. He got jumped on accidentally yesterday from a frisky German Shorthair Pointer, and I think he's a little sore today. I also went for a little bike ride for groceries with my ds. It was a quick but pleasant trip. What's not to enjoy about shopping for food with a hungry teen boy? 😅 My backpack wss crammed full of food. 

No tennis this evening, so I can rest up a little. My tummy seems to be slightly better, thank goodness. 

• Like 5

Good walk with a friend and one of her four grand-dogs. She always said she would get a dog when she retired, but now that she has, she always seems to be dogsitting one of her three children's dogs.

Old dog potter at bedtime.

I'm hoping for some yoga this weekend. 

• Like 5

I can't remember when I posted. The last 2 days were busy. I've walked every morning this week, none of them long but I've walked and I've met my step goals.

Last night I did kickboxing. I modified even more and really was feeling a bit stiff. I honestly don't think it is worth it to go back at this point. I can't move fast enough to get my heart rate up and I don't think there is enough variety in the classes to keep it interesting. 

This am I got in pickleball for a bit. I've wanted to go all week but they've had all morning sessions and I'm schooling the girls. Today it was morning too but I already had to be in for dd1's college open house and we are done schooling for the week so it worked out.

I did not get in my strength training today as I had to leave early but plan to do either Saturday or Sunday. Next week I'm going to shift lifting days to Tues/Thurs since I'm not doing visits those days I've got more time.

My schedule worked reasonably well. I'm busy but it was manageable. I just need to get everyone started with their school year at all the different places and back in the routine. 1 more week of summer and then dd1, ds, and dh start college and dd2 starts PS.

• Like 4

@Soror Great job getting in your walks, kickboxing and pickleball! Did any of your girls end up going to public school this year? I know you thought they might all end up going. Hope your new routine is working out well!

@Laura Corin Has your work environment finished making all its changes yet? Or did you end up changing positions? I can't remember what ended up happening. Hope work is going well! Walks with friends is the best! Adding in dogs is a fun bonus!

@Ali in OR Way to go with your treadmill work-outs! You are rocking them! Have you had a summer break at all this year? Seems like you went from job to job without much of a rest inbetween. Hope you're doing well!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, wintermom said:

@Laura Corin Has your work environment finished making all its changes yet? Or did you end up changing positions? I can't remember what ended up happening. Hope work is going well! Walks with friends is the best! Adding in dogs is a fun bonus!

Glad your tummy is feeling a bit better.

Funny you should ask about the job. My excellent boss updated my contract so that I could work just four days a week,  get a raise  - pro rata  - and have more of a possibility of taking holidays during term time. So I turned down the other job that I had been offered - honestly I'm not sure I am feeling strong enough to take on a new job right now anyway. HR signed off on all of this, so that's fine.

Then there was a reorganisation such that there is a new layer of management below my boss, so he will no longer be my line manager. Next week, we are having a meet and greet with the two candidates for the line-manager position.  One of them is a former colleague of mine who is a tactless, volatile and cliquey over-sharer who can't keep staff. Her experience looks very good on paper. I have expressed some of my observations of her in very professional terms to my boss, as he asked for opinions.  

I'm highly employable still within my large employer, so if I need to quit, I can.

Oh well  - we have friends coming for dinner, so it's off to the supermarket,  then I'll try to fit in yoga before cooking.

• Like 5

Hello,

I've been doing walking, my under desk elliptical, yoga, some strength but kind of sporadically.  Schedules have been pretty busy lately but thankfully I'm no longer sore from my fall or from my time at fair.    I started Weight Watchers (again, I've done it before) and I have lost about 10 pounds total in 3 weeks.  Although 6 of them were in one week during fair, since I was walking/moving a ton plus eating mainly vegetables and fruits I packed to avoid the food trucks of fried food.  

I usually walk on a path that is near my work that is flat, paved and straight that is very popular among walkers, joggers, bikers, etc.   It runs alongside a road but a bit separate from it.  I took a walk there yesterday and it was really bothering my knee and my calves felt super tight and sore.   Earlier in the week I was getting work done on my car and took a walk on a path that ran alongside a river.  It was uneven, gradual ups and downs, curved around, roots and rocks to walk over/around, some parts gravel and some parts packed dirt.   That walk didn't bother my legs at all.   

I'm thinking the varied terrain using different muscles and movements is better than very repetitive motion, even though objective speaking that walk was "harder"?  

Edited by Wheres Toto
  • Like 5

41 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

Hello,

I've been doing walking, my under desk elliptical, yoga, some strength but kind of sporadically.  Schedules have been pretty busy lately but thankfully I'm no longer sore from my fall or from my time at fair.    I started Weight Watchers (again, I've done it before) and I have lost about 10 pounds total in 3 weeks.  Although 6 of them were in one week during fair, since I was walking/moving a ton plus eating mainly vegetables and fruits I packed to avoid the food trucks of fried food.  

I usually walk on a path that is near my work that is flat, paved and straight that is very popular among walkers, joggers, bikers, etc.   It runs alongside a road but a bit separate from it.  I took a walk there yesterday and it was really bothering my knee and my calves felt super tight and sore.   Earlier in the week I was getting work done on my car and took a walk on a path that ran alongside a river.  It was uneven, gradual ups and downs, curved around, roots and rocks to walk over/around, some parts gravel and some parts packed dirt.   That walk didn't bother my legs at all.   

I'm thinking the varied terrain using different muscles and movements is better than very repetitive motion, even though objective speaking that walk was "harder"?  

I've read that rough ground is better walking exercise and less hard on joints.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, wintermom said:

@Ali in OR Way to go with your treadmill work-outs! You are rocking them! Have you had a summer break at all this year? Seems like you went from job to job without much of a rest inbetween. Hope you're doing well!

We have a total of 11 weeks off from last time we see students to next time we see students in fall. But I had some work obligations in June (had a conference). For me, I took July off completely--wouldn't even let myself print the calendar for the new school year. We're not really taking a vacation this summer, but I'm getting recovery time in every day. Now I'm getting to the point where my overall stress is lower if I start doing some work now to prepare for the school year. I went in this week and got my room ready. They wax the floors over the summer, and while they put the furniture back in the room, they don't place it correctly. The most time consuming was that I had to move a two-drawer file cabinet without a dolly so I emptied it first then moved it then figured out how to repair the broken rack that holds the hanging files (had to wait until next day when I could bring a screwdriver) then I went through all of the files and tossed a bunch of stuff. Anyway, lots of little projects like that in my classroom that they will never give me time to do so I do it on my own time because it will make my life easier once school starts. Two more weeks where I own my time, then the week of the 28th is back to paid time but they will schedule most of it with trainings and meetings and very little time to actually prep for starting the year the day after Labor Day (Tues 9/5).

30 min yoga this morning. We're heading into a heat wave here. 91 today then over 100 Sun through Wed. 108 Monday. Ugh.

• Like 3

Bodyweight circuit x2 and 20 min yoga this morning. Yesterday was over 100° but not even close to 108° thankfully. I stayed inside and eventually...got bored. Summer has done its job and I will be ready to go back to work. Today the high is 97°--I think I'll go see dd at lunch instead of dinner just to avoid the hottest part of the day (we usually go on a walk together).

• Like 5

30 min on the treadmill this morning. Day 3 of 100° weather today. Last night I relaxed on the patio from like 9:00-10:00 at night, still 84° and no wind--just lovely. But the downside of missing our evening winds is that we had poor air quality yesterday. Smoke from wildfires just sits in the valley with no where to go. AQI got to 127 that I saw yesterday (dh said it went over 150). It's 37 now, so that's good.

• Like 4

I'm on repeat this week - dog walk in the woods this morning and tennis this evening. Had evening tennis yesterday, too, and there is one more session of evening tennis tomorrow.  Then I'll have over a week rest from tennis and dog walks while visiting my mom. My body will either love the rest or get completely stiff and sore. 😉 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I'm on repeat this week - dog walk in the woods this morning and tennis this evening. Had evening tennis yesterday, too, and there is one more session of evening tennis tomorrow.  Then I'll have over a week rest from tennis and dog walks while visiting my mom. My body will either love the rest or get completely stiff and sore. 😉 

Have fun with your mum!

• Like 2

Lots going on here with 3 kids starting different schools and work. I'm a bit nervous and anxious about making sure everybody and everything is good.

I got strength training upper body done on Tuesday. Walking every day. I planned to do strength today but I had some work to take care of and we've got ds' move-in. I'll do it tomorrow when my schedule isn't so jam-packed.

• Like 5

I'm taking it a bit easy today.  I walked across town to a meeting and I might do some easy yoga tonight, but that's it.  My watch says that I didn't recharge well overnight, which makes sense to me: my evening walk went on until 9 and I ate afterwards, so there was a lot getting in the way of winding down.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

9 1/2 mile hilly walk after work - felt good. I'm finding my new-to-me fitness watch motivating.

That's impressive. All my hikes this summer have been little ones--5 miles was the longest. Can't imagine doing 9.5 after work!

Thursday workout: Fitbymik dumbbell workout today.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

That's impressive. All my hikes this summer have been little ones--5 miles was the longest. Can't imagine doing 9.5 after work!

Thursday workout: Fitbymik dumbbell workout today.

It's still quite light in the evenings, and I sit down all day.  I set off at around 5.30 and returned before 9.  I was pretty tired, but it felt good nonetheless.

• Like 5

I also had a nice walk with friends at lunchtime. Then dh and I played mixed doubles with friends for 3 hours. My body is sore and I don't know if I'll actually get much sleep tonight. It was super fun, though and I'm willing to do it even with the resulting soreness. I'll have over a week break to rest and recover, too. 

• Like 6

On Thursday, I had a post-evaluation from the exercise class at the cancer center. The initial evaluation was in October, while I was doing chemo. I went from below-average fitness to average, for whatever that's worth. But she had me on the treadmill for 20min, gradually bumping me up to 3.5mph at an incline of 8, so I did something that day. Last night, dh and I walked around the cemetery for an hour or so.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, knitgrl said:

On Thursday, I had a post-evaluation from the exercise class at the cancer center. The initial evaluation was in October, while I was doing chemo. I went from below-average fitness to average, for whatever that's worth. But she had me on the treadmill for 20min, gradually bumping me up to 3.5mph at an incline of 8, so I did something that day. Last night, dh and I walked around the cemetery for an hour or so.

Awesome! it's nice to have those benchmarks of improving. And that incline of 8 is impressive too!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We made it out for that hike. It was only six miles, but hilly and the path was narrow and uneven. I was unusually tired out by the hills, but we took lots of breaks and made it round. I just took one photo.

The woods on the right are a commercial plantation. The ones in the centre have been reforested with mixed native species by the woodland charity to which my mum left a legacy. My brothers and I have decided to use the legacy to dedicate three acres of existing woodland and also plant trees in a new wood near her childhood home in Devon.

20230820_130355.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Idalou said:

That's beautiful. It reminds me of some of the hills in central NY. And turbines! Are they as polarizing a subject as they are here?

Some people dislike turbines, but most see them as necessary. There are a lot off shore too.

https://www.scottishrenewables.com/our-industry/statistics

Screenshot_20230820_215919.jpg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, knitgrl said:

I will probably not be posting this week, as I have Covid. The good news is the Paxlovid seems to be working and I was able to sit up for a whole hour and a half this morning.

I hope your Covid course will be mild, and yes, take it as an excuse to rest, rest, rest.

30 min on the treadmill this morning. I went into school a bit Monday and yesterday and plan to go in either tomorrow or Friday to work with other Alg 1 teachers, but today I am not going in. I keep a To-Do list on the counter and dh sweetly wrote a few for me: "make sure the animals know they are loved, play some solitaire, treat yourself." One of the last few days of no commitments. But I will get groceries and do some laundry too. I realized our white duvet cover is covered with cat fur and decided it needs a good cleaning before the school year starts. It kind of feels like this is my last chance! Not that washing the cover is all that hard, but it's a pain to get the duvet back in and tied at the corners and all that, so it doesn't get washed often enough.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, knitgrl said:

I will probably not be posting this week, as I have Covid. The good news is the Paxlovid seems to be working and I was able to sit up for a whole hour and a half this morning.

That is a shame. Hope you come through quickly and without too many symptoms. Take care!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's been a busy few days so far on this visit to my mom and other family and friends. Mom is doing really well on the surface, but is really struggling with loneliness and depression. We will support her has much as we can in getting some effective mental health care. 

We drove out to the farm where we are getting a new border collie puppy. The pups are totally adorable! We picked out one that had distinctive markings so that when my dd goes out to retrieve it and bring it home, we'll know it's the one we picked. There were 4 that looked identical, so we avoided those. What a way to pick a puppy! 🤣  I will share photos once he is ours - and I'm actually able to post photos. 

I've been walking most days, and doing some stretching. We're golfing with friends on the weekend, so there will be more activity then. 

• Like 5