Menu

What’s your middle-schooler reading this summer? I’ll start

Mine read whole bunch of manga and Skellig and Pig Heart Boy. Together we finished The Book Thief (completely overrated and badly written IMO) and are now reading animal farm and on the origin of species, young reader edition( 👍) , count of monte cristo is next as read aloud.

looking for some more independent read ideas. Many thanks 

1 minute ago, madteaparty said:

Mine read whole bunch of manga and Skellig and Pig Heart Boy. Together we finished The Book Thief (completely overrated and badly written IMO) and are now reading animal farm and on the origin of species, young reader edition( 👍) , count of monte cristo is next as read aloud.

Thank you! I read The Book Thief years ago, it's won all these awards, and I always thought it was crap and yet no one agreed with me!

Not summer here, but my 12 yr old has got into Hamlet for obscure reasons, so I bought her a recently published Australian book called Hamlet is not OK, and have ordered the manga version of Hamlet (it's taking ages to arrive for some reason). She just finished the series 'Uglies' by a half-Australian half-American guy which is about a future world where everywhere gets plastic surgery at 16, so all about body image, social media etc. It's about 10 years old.

• Like 1

Maus II (he read the first one last summer)

The Boy Who Harnessed The Wind - Young Reader's Edition

Ovidius Mus

A Brandon Brown book

Ready Player One & Two

The Face On The Milk Carton

I'm not sure what else he's reading at night.  These are just what he reads during the day.

• Like 1

Mine has been devouring the School of Good and Evil on his own time lately. He's even taken it to his studio to read between classes. This is super high praise for him. 😄

Otherwise, George's Secret Key, American Born Chinese, They Called Us Enemy, Every Soul a Star, and Third Chimpanzee for Young People. I have the young reader Braiding Sweetgrass on deck for him. 

• Like 1

Currently The Man Who Never Was

Earlier The Wright Brothers by Russell Freeman, We Were there at at the Opening of the Erie Canel by  Meadowcroft, Childhood of Famous Americans Robert Fulton, By the Great Horn Spoon, The Pony Express by Ralph Moody....I think he reread Charlotte's Web when it was lying in the living room....

Aloud, I'm reading Laddie by Gene Stratton Porter

Edited by countrymum
Add our read aloud
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SilverMoon said:

Mine has been devouring the School of Good and Evil on his own time lately. He's even taken it to his studio to read between classes. This is super high praise for him. 😄

Otherwise, George's Secret Key, American Born Chinese, They Called Us Enemy, Every Soul a Star, and Third Chimpanzee for Young People. I have the young reader Braiding Sweetgrass on deck for him. 

I ordered this box set (was cheaper than the hardcover single book?) , DD told me they watched a clip of the movie in school. Sigh. 

2 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

Whoosh, that's a commitment. We did the audio book a couple of years ago and it was 40 hours. Enjoyed by all, though.

I just happen to love that book, which is why I can cope. May consider the audio though. Did you like it (the narration)?

12 hours ago, madteaparty said:

I just happen to love that book, which is why I can cope. May consider the audio though. Did you like it (the narration)?

The narration was not a full-cast, but pretty good for a single reader. We finished it faster than if we had been counting on my personal read aloud stamina, and I was happy to also listen along. We used the version out library had.

My 12 year old son has read some hank the cowdog, assassin's apprentice by Robin Hobb, and some manga including a zelda one, and the explorer series by kazu kibuishi.

My 12 year old daughter has read Pride and Prejudice (manga version), Emma (manga version), Coraline, and some Goosebumps (comic version) as well as Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

We have listened to Hatchet by Gary Paulsen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keirin said:

My 12 year old son has read some hank the cowdog, assassin's apprentice by Robin Hobb, and some manga including a zelda one, and the explorer series by kazu kibuishi.

My 12 year old daughter has read Pride and Prejudice (manga version), Emma (manga version), Coraline, and some Goosebumps (comic version) as well as Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

We have listened to Hatchet by Gary Paulsen.

How was the hatchet audio? Always looking for audio for all of summer’s field trips.

Jane Austen in comics huh? This is a revelation!

Edited by madteaparty