Menu

Just had a porcupine wander past

Ottakee

I am out backpacking with a friend and we are camping on Lake Huron where the nearest campsite to us is 3/4 mile walk away.

The lake is smooth as glass and a porcupine just wandered through our camp.   Now we are more worried about running into him at night when going to the bathroom than we are about any potential bear.  And our bathroom is an open are pit toilet 😀

IMG_3620.jpeg

IMG_3609.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Haha 1

Awww! Porcupines are so cute for being so dangerous. Once while backpacking along the North Shore in Minnesota our dog had a stand down with a porcupine. We always carried pliers with us just in case there was a run in, but we were a long way from help and thankful that the porcupine finally gave up and waddled away before releasing any quills. 

You got a great photo of it! 

Porcupines will climb trees and hang out there quite a bit. They are apparently (acording to google) nocturnal, and sleep most of the day. Just be noisy when you go to the potty at night and you should warn unsuspecting animals that you're going by.

Enjoy your backpacking adventure!! Cool you have internet access. Times are a changin'

• Like 2

Well, we haven’t seen him again but did get 3+ hours of steady rain that our dry state desperately needed

After the rain we took a walk along the beach and watched a bald eagle for a while and then saw his nest and could hear the chicks…..so we just turned around and went back so as not to disturb them.

right now we have 3 pairs of swans just off shore.

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Beautiful area. We fish at Fletcher's flood waters, kayak on Lake Huron, and enjoy old downtown Alpena. Really nice.

But it is cold here today.   It says 55 but it is damp and cloudy and we are on the water so feels colder

IMG_3652.jpeg

Edited by Ottakee
  • Like 4

We used to go up to Lake Huron quite a bit, on the Ontario side. We'd camp near Goderich, a cute little town with a yummy bakery at the time. The water was so beautiful in that area, calm translucent greens totally unlike Superior. It wasn't wildernessy at all like where you are but it was really pretty.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

We used to go up to Lake Huron quite a bit, on the Ontario side. We'd camp near Goderich, a cute little town with a yummy bakery at the time. The water was so beautiful in that area, calm translucent greens totally unlike Superior. It wasn't wildernessy at all like where you are but it was really pretty.

Nice! I've heard that Georgian Bay, on the east side of Lake Huron in Canada is excellent for canoeing and kayaking. I'd love to go one day. Quite honestly, there is so much water in the form of lakes and rivers in eastern Ontario that I don't have to travel far. I can get to nice water within 15 min. 

• Like 1