Menu

100% TMI—GI symptoms, WWYD?

Acadie

Deleting details to spare the Hive, since I feel like I'm out of the woods. 

After 36 hours the stomach pain and cramping eased up enough that I feel like I can hydrate more. Still symptomatic, but no longer wondering about urgent medical care. 

I think we tend to block out the experience of pain, but I honestly don't think I've ever had stomach pain that intense before, and for such a long time. Thanks so much for helping me through a really rough night, Hive.

Edited by Acadie
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

Another trick that sometimes works is a tiny sip…like a tsp at a time of the juice from peaches in heavy syrup.

My friend just had rotavirus and it was terrible for her.   Almost needed an IV.

Any idea how rotavirus was diagnosed or what care she got? 

44 minutes ago, Acadie said:

Any idea how rotavirus was diagnosed or what care she got? 

Well, she is a primary care doctor herself and has a patient come in with it….and later her and her staff all got sick. She is an awesome doctor, just a horrible patient.

main treatment is hydration and iv fluids if needed…and time

• Like 1

I am so sorry.   It does sound like a bug.   Usually, when I have it, it is horrific for 24 to 48 hours and then it starts slowly getting better, so maybe that 4-5 days includes the part when it is somewhat relieved but not fully back to normal.

• Thanks 1

The rule of thumb is that you should drink a cup of water for every bout of diarrhea. So, yes, it may go straight through you, but that is also helping to flush out whatever badness is within you.

Limiting intake really only applies to vomiting, and even then it is a mixed bag based on why you are vomiting.

Are you running a fever? 

Can you do an online virtual appointment? Our feeder hospital offers a virtual urgent care experience. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

The rule of thumb is that you should drink a cup of water for every bout of diarrhea. So, yes, it may go straight through you, but that is also helping to flush out whatever badness is within you.

Limiting intake really only applies to vomiting, and even then it is a mixed bag based on why you are vomiting.

Are you running a fever? 

Can you do an online virtual appointment? Our feeder hospital offers a virtual urgent care experience. 

Thank you, that makes sense re: hydration. After 36 hours I think the worst of the cramping is over. I've never had cramping and stomach pain like this before. A small sip would cause staggering pain a few minutes later. Like labor pain intense. I ended up alternating intervals of trying to hydrate in the bathroom with not drinking so I could lie down and get a little rest.

My temp was a little off but seems fine now. For the future I should look into whether we have virtual urgent care--that is such a great option. 

1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

You can run yourself out of potassium that way, which is quite dangerous.  Either eat half a banana every so often or get potassium tablets stat and start taking them.

Thanks, Carol. I switched out the Nuun for another electrolyte mix with more salt and potassium. I'm able to drink more now, including chicken soup broth with smooshed carrots, and feel like I'm out of the woods. Still symptomatic, just no longer worried about extreme dehydration. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Acadie said:

Thanks, Carol. I switched out the Nuun for another electrolyte mix with more salt and potassium. I'm able to drink more now, including chicken soup broth with smooshed carrots, and feel like I'm out of the woods. Still symptomatic, just no longer worried about extreme dehydration. 

My doctor friend swears by pedialyte.  Doesn’t taste good but she said it is great for dehydration 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Acadie said:

Glad you are doing better!  Sounds like it was something you ate since it came and went so quickly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Glad you are doing better!  Sounds like it was something you ate since it came and went so quickly.

It’s not gone! Still alternating my time between bed and bathroom, lol. Just no longer writhing in pain and feeling like I’m going to pass out. But life is feeling sweeter already. Thanks again 😊

• Like 4