Menu

Any recipes for chicken in a crockpot that doesn't use canned cream soups?

I put the chicken breasts in the crockpot, dump a quart or two of chicken broth over them (until they're covered), slice an onion and add that. I cook it for four-six hours, then I drain the chicken broth and shred the chicken with a fork. I then put it back in the crockpot, moisten it with olive oil, and cover it with adobo seasoning. We eat this in tortillas with shredded cheese and salsa.

I got this recipe from the blog Amy's Humble Musings (I don't know if she posts here or not; I don't think so); I'm not sure if I follow her recipe exactly but it's pretty close. My husband loves to eat this!

I do something similar with a gluten-y pretend meat thing and veggies. The coconut milk and PB make this fantastic peanut sauce. I don't know why, but the way it cooks together is just heavenly. So I thought the combo might work in a crock pot with some stock for moisture. If you do try it, please post what you think 'cause now my eyes are rolling back in my head thinking about the peanut sauce. ;)

This is one of our favorites...combine all of following in crockpot and cook 6-8 hours on low (or 4 hours on high):

1 T. ground coriander

2 t. ground cumin

1 t. ground fennel

1 t. ground turmeric

4 t. ground pepper

2 t. salt

2 1/2 pounds chicken or beef (on the bone works better, but I've done it with boneless breasts)

3 c. chopped onion

2 t. freshly grated ginger

3 cloves garlic, minced

2 jalapeno peppers, minced

3 cups light coconut milk

2 T. white wine vinegar

2 lemon rind strips

It's a lot of ingredients as the recipe is written. I got it from a friend but everytime I've made it I've changed it a bit depending on what I had in the pantry.

We also like the Indian curry sauces in a jar (we get ours at the regular grocery store). I've also done enchilada sauce, spaghetti sauce, BBQ sauce. Really anything works and I just throw in veggies or spices that seem to go along.....

Slow-Cooker Chicken BBQ

4 lbs. Chicken Breast

3/4 Cup Water

3 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce

3 Tbsp. Vinegar (any type)

1 tsp. Cumin

28 ozs. (3-1/2 cups) BBQ sauce

Place above ingredients, except for BBQ sauce, in slower cooker for 6 hours. Drain, pull apart; add BBQ sauce; cook on low 1 hour. Done

My kids LOVE this recipe, even my non tomato loving dd. It also freezes well, so I double the recipe and freeze it for another day.

Buns, fries or chips, and a salad and you've got a meal.

We're mostly vegetarian here, but what about a can of coconut milk, one of chicken broth, 1/2 c peanut butter and some curry powder? It sounds like it would work :D (if someone tries this please let me know if it does).

Nice! I'm game. I'll give this a try later in the week and let you know :D