Menu

Dad's apartment/renter

DawnM

If you recall, we rented out dad's apartment to a friend's son (he is friends with my kids from scouts).  

He was going to stay 2 months while he figured out where to go.

He stayed 9 months.   We were fine with it and told him he could stay as long as he wanted as long as he abided by our rules.   The only real issue we had was noise and we addressed it as it came up.

Anyway, he is moving out and into a condo with some friends.   

DH doesn't want to rent it out again, he wants to use the room as a hang out/TV/workout/gym area.   It was a minimal amount of $$ we were charging but it was a little bit of play money.

This is not earth shattering information or anything......just an announcement.  🤪

• Like 17

Oh, and honestly, I am a little nervous about getting that room back.   Last time WE used it, it wasn't turned into an apartment for my dad.   I am afraid this is going to be hard for me to want to use that room as it will bring back a lot of feelings about my dad.

• Sad 25

13 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Oh, and honestly, I am a little nervous about getting that room back.   Last time WE used it, it wasn't turned into an apartment for my dad.   I am afraid this is going to be hard for me to want to use that room as it will bring back a lot of feelings about my dad.

That makes sense. I'm sorry.  

• Like 3

I am sorry that this is a  point of stress for you all. Could  you ask around among friends if they  know someone  in need of  a stable place for  a few  months. It could  be a real blessing for someone to have a safe  place to live and  for  you to make some money and for  you to have  a  little more  time❤️

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

Many (hugs)

Ime, it's s very good that you are realizing this ahead of time.  You may need to ease into using the room.  When it's empty maybe just pass through it during the day to start.

Notice if anything about the room is particularly triggering and consider changing it up.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, OH_Homeschooler said:

Would it make sense for your husband to turn the room into a man cave type thing, and just let him have it as a hangout? Then maybe you can clear out some stuff in your other living areas and reinvent them to your liking. 

He wants it to be a gym/TV space so I guess that could be considered a man cave.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lmrich said:

I am sorry that this is a  point of stress for you all. Could  you ask around among friends if they  know someone  in need of  a stable place for  a few  months. It could  be a real blessing for someone to have a safe  place to live and  for  you to make some money and for  you to have  a  little more  time❤️

Dh isn't really keen on renting again but if someone needs it AND they are quiet, I would consider it.

4 hours ago, happi duck said:

Many (hugs)

Ime, it's s very good that you are realizing this ahead of time.  You may need to ease into using the room.  When it's empty maybe just pass through it during the day to start.

Notice if anything about the room is particularly triggering and consider changing it up.

Yeah, it is ALL pretty much triggering.   If you remember, we spent a lot of time designing that room, so the paint, the new bathroom, the layout of the kitchen.....it was all decisions I made for Dad.

• Like 4
  • Sad 6

8 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Yeah, it is ALL pretty much triggering.   If you remember, we spent a lot of time designing that room, so the paint, the new bathroom, the layout of the kitchen.....it was all decisions I made for Dad.

I do remember that.  You put so much thought, effort, and time into making it as comfortable and accessible as possible for him.  

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I do remember (hugs)

I've btdt but for my sister.  Lately, it's been the drapes we chose for her that stand out.  It is really hard.

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

He wants it to be a gym/TV space so I guess that could be considered a man cave.

Your DH has been through a lot of trauma and chaos too. It would be nice if he had a place (man cave of that is what he wants) for now and maybe not have deal with another tenant in there for a bit. Time for you all to recover and heal some, which will be accomplished in different ways by each of you.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, mlktwins said:

Your DH has been through a lot of trauma and chaos too. It would be nice if he had a place (man cave of that is what he wants) for now and maybe not have deal with another tenant in there for a bit. Time for you all to recover and heal some, which will be accomplished in different ways by each of you.

True, and I know he wants to turn half of it into a home gym.   My freshman college son is coming home for the summer and I bet he would love to use it as well to hang out with his buddies.  It now has a door and closes and has an exit door to the outside as well (all added when dad moved in) so that would be good.

My oldest (ASD) said maybe one of his online friends would like to move in.....ARGH!  NO!

And I am semi-waiting for my 19 year old to ask if his BFF and BFF's girlfriend can move in.   No to that too.   His friend, maybe, but not two of them.   We don't have the car space for two nor is the room large enough AND the biggest issue will be noise.   

I think we just want our room back.

• Like 9

I would say no to online friends etc.

one you could consider if you do decide to rent it out long term would be an older single person who has steady income and is likely to be quiet.  I know of several widowed ladies that would fit that.

but no need to rent it out if you don’t want to either.

26 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Would a new paint color help? I think I would try to refresh the space in a way that distinguished it from when your dad lived there. I agree that a hang out/work out room seems like the way to go. 

No, I actually love the color and painted our new closet make over the same color.   And it was just painted a year ago and cost several hundred to hire someone, so we won't be changing that.   

• Like 1