Menu

A Reader's Group poll (January and February)

A Reader's Group choices for January and February  

1. 1. A Reader's Group choices for January and February

• Pnin
    • The God of Small Things
    • The Art of Eating
    • The Castle of Crossed Destinies
    • A Lost Lady
    • The Man Who Was Thursday
    • A Mercy
    • Snow

It's that time again.

Actually, it's past that time and I'm just now getting a poll posted.

What do you want to read in January? In February?

Let's choose the next two books so folks can plan ahead if they want.

I perused the last few pages of our social group and got a few suggestions otherwise (thanks, nmoira!).

Here are the links. Cast your vote (you may make more than one selection).

Nabokov: Pnin

Roy: The God of Small Things

M.F.K. Fisher: The Art of Eating

Calvino: The Castle of Crossed Destinies

Cather: A Lost Lady

Chesterton: The Man Who Was Thursday

Morrison: A Mercy

Pamuk: Snow

Edited by Crissy

Since I haven't read any of them, I voted for them all! ;)

I would however, like to know how to pronounce Pnin.

I am looking forward to being able to start in with this, since the other books that prevented me from doing it before are now finished.

Thanks, Crissy!

I'm getting the book for this month tomorrow, lol, my library didn't have it in. Hopefully, I'll have in done in a few days, I'm assuming this is not a thousand pager... right?

I voted, but didn't recognize any of those titles... how exciting!

Julie,

Are you talking about Woman in White? I'm so sorry, I had to laugh, b/c it IS about 800 pages, depending on your version.....

Readers,

Should we take a new poll for the February book, or just use the second place finisher from this poll?

I think a new poll, though I am happy with the 2nd place book. :)

Okey dokey. I followed all your links (thanks for those!) and checked them all out and voted for 3 that I liked.
Oh, shoot... I didn't realize you could vote for more than one. It pays to read carefully, huh? :D

I'd rather take another poll, only because Castle of Crossed Destinies is not available at my library. I did vote, but I didn't "get" that we could vote for more than one--oops, didn't read the poll carefully enough. Sigh. I have The Man Who Was Thursday on hold at the library and will pick it up after Christmas, so I'm all set so far.

Help--what happened to the two Maugham titles that were on some post on the group way back? I was all set to vote for one of those. Will I have to research all these titles? I know I didn't like the look of Snow, but don't know any of these.

Yeah, I was wondering about the Maugham books, too. They looked good to me.

I think I would like a new poll for Feb, maybe with a Maugham book or two on the list. I haven't read him, but not sure I will if it isn't a book group book, kwim?

I should have paid attention to the fact that I could have voted for more than one, but I did vote. Not for the leading one, but it's one I think I would read. I'll only read the winning book if I can get it from my library as I am not allowed to buy any more books before mid to late spring (my rule, not dh's--I spent plenty for my budget in 2008).

Since I haven't read any of them, I voted for them all! ;)

I would however, like to know how to pronounce Pnin.

I am looking forward to being able to start in with this, since the other books that prevented me from doing it before are now finished.

Thanks, Crissy!

Someone may have already PM'ed you, but on this blog, she says that it's pronounced like "Up, Nina" without the "U" in Up and the "a" in Nina - P'Neen. HTH!