Menu

Healthy Aging on Social Media

Toocrazy!!

I’ve been changing up my Instagram feed for healthy aging and health in general. I’ve found it motivating really. But I’d like to find more women in their 50’s, 60’s and 70’s who are aging well- healthy and exercising. As I get older, I like to see women a bit older than me still living life to the fullest. I find it inspiring. And keeps me optimistic about the future. 
Does anyone follow someone like that on social media? 

Not sure if this is your thing, but whole food plant based groups are full of the most youthful old people I have ever encountered. It's like a whole different world, lol. Elsewhere on the internet, I'll see people in their 50s talking about things like wanting to buy a house without stairs because they're getting old and slowing down - and then in the plant based world, there are people in their 90s and even 100s who are still running races and going to work every day and looking like they're about 30 years younger than they are. It's pretty inspirational for a 53 year old young pup like me!🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Toocrazy!! said:

@Jean in Newcastle- perfect! I added her to my Instagram feed. Thanks! @Selkie- how do I find these online communities? They sound perfect! I’m just about to turn 53, and it just makes me feel really optimistic when I see people 30 and 40 years older still living their best lives. 

I feel that same optimism. It really boosts my mood to surround myself with people who are focused on healthy living.

I’m not on Instagram, but you should be able to search for terms like whole food plant based, WFPB, plant based athlete, things like that. There are a lot of groups on Facebook. If you like YouTube shows/podcasts, check out Chef AJ. She does daily shows and has a lot of older guests who are very fit and active and follow a plant based lifestyle. She just recently had a 99 year old doctor on, and she has had a lot of guests in their 70s, 80s, 90s, and at least one 100 year old that I can remember.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jane Esselstyn is one Whole Foods, plant based person to follow on IG. If you go to their feed, you can probably find some others. Oh. Babette Davis (ChefBabette on IG) is amazing! 
It is so inspirational to see older people who are super active, especially females as they grew up in an era when women couldn’t compete in many sports. I started lifting weights in the rural Midwest in the 1980s, after there was an unfortunate incident during dodgeball in PE and the outcome was that the females could opt out of dodgeball and lift weights with the football players. I gladly took that option! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Following.

I also wish they’d give some background info sometimes. Some people just be blessed with good genetics and childhoods. But I’m also interested in how people not so blessed are aging healthily.

I’m also curious how aging healthily is defined.  I’m working on that ever elusive balance between living healthily and living life fully.

I’ve found that optimistically I have about 30 years left to live and that’s really affected my attitude about how to approach many things from body maintenance to finances to relationships.  Call it midlife crisis or whatever I don’t care. But it is very different from what I would have imagined my perspective to be when I was 38 vs 48.  I kinda fell like the there’s a mental/physical development leap in late 40s similar to the development leap in late teens/early 20s.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Following.

I also wish they’d give some background info sometimes. Some people just be blessed with good genetics and childhoods. But I’m also interested in how people not so blessed are aging healthily.

I’m also curious how aging healthily is defined.  I’m working on that ever elusive balance between living healthily and living life fully.

I’ve found that optimistically I have about 30 years left to live and that’s really affected my attitude about how to approach many things from body maintenance to finances to relationships.  Call it midlife crisis or whatever I don’t care. But it is very different from what I would have imagined my perspective to be when I was 38 vs 48.  I kinda fell like the there’s a mental/physical development leap in late 40s similar to the development leap in late teens/early 20s.

I'm following this conversation with interest.  I just turned 49, so I feel all this.  I'm curious about how your attitude toward all of the things you mentioned has changed if you're willing to share.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kidlit said:

I'm following this conversation with interest.  I just turned 49, so I feel all this.  I'm curious about how your attitude toward all of the things you mentioned has changed if you're willing to share.  

I don’t even know where to begin.

Make me a list and we’ll work through it.

1 hour ago, Murphy101 said:

Following.

I absolutely agree about the mental leap in late 40s. I think it's is truly like a second adolescence. You see the world very differently and feel lost for awhile.  Midlife crisis is real, but not in the way it has been caricaturized. I think it just plays out differently for everyone. But it's a huge transition in all areas. I find it fascinating!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KeriJ said:

I absolutely agree about the mental leap in late 40s. I think it's is truly like a second adolescence. You see the world very differently and feel lost for awhile.  Midlife crisis is real, but not in the way it has been caricaturized. I think it just plays out differently for everyone. But it's a huge transition in all areas. I find it fascinating!

I have been calling it Second Puberty bc seriously, in every aspect, that’s exactly what it seems like to me. 

• Like 3