Menu

The little free library has customers

Dmmetler

For those who wanted to know if it was used, today when I went out to pull out old books before going to the library to check out their friends used book room, two tween boys came over to see if I was adding new, and gave me a list of books to look for (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Dog Man...)

When I came back and brought out new books, four were waiting :). The copy of "Diary of a Wimpy Zombie" (A Minecraft book) is definitely a hit, as were several "Series of Unfortunate Events" and "Warriors". 

• Like 40
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, klmama said:

How cool that your library has patrons already!

It's been up since last summer, so they've had time to find it, but I remembered the prior thread 🙂

The reaction makes me think that new books are kind of like the ice cream truck-a random neat thing that just sometimes happens :). 

Edited by Dmmetler
  • Like 10

Those books are popular with my tutor kids as well. Ahn Do WeirDo has also been popular and is similar in style, and some of the girls like Billie B Brown. Oh and the storey treehouse books (not the magic treehouse ones). 

I have to admit they are NOT what I envisaged teaching kids reading with but it’s worth it to see them actually enjoying reading.

• Like 4

Aww this makes me so happy! 

Since my post about LFLs, I have checked in on the same one and there has been a lot of turnover. So I think *sometimes* people probably off-load weird and outdated books that way, but it looks like better books are making it into there than I thought. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Tween boys gave you a list of books they want to read?! That's amazing! 🙂 

I know! I've seen younger kids come by, one of my neighbors drops off each romance novel after she finishes it, and some of the neighborhood homeschoolers regularly stop by (and add books-I've gotten entire stacks of leveled readers because "I can read them all now, so you can give them to the babies to read!"), But to see a traditionally "hard to engage in reading"bunch stop playing and excitedly come across the street to check it out and see what I have....it's the same feeling that keeps me teaching. And I think Mom approves. 

• Like 16

50 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

I know! I've seen younger kids come by, one of my neighbors drops off each romance novel after she finishes it, and some of the neighborhood homeschoolers regularly stop by (and add books-I've gotten entire stacks of leveled readers because "I can read them all now, so you can give them to the babies to read!"), But to see a traditionally "hard to engage in reading"bunch stop playing and excitedly come across the street to check it out and see what I have....it's the same feeling that keeps me teaching. And I think Mom approves. 

Your mom is so proud of you!  I know it! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

Should I admit to checking used book sources to see how much it costs to buy the books on their list? 

Do it!! Buying books is my vice. Do you have a friends of the library or something like that with inexpensive books? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, El... said:

Do it!! Buying books is my vice. Do you have a friends of the library or something like that with inexpensive books? 

Yes, and I just bought a bunch yesterday. But they didn't have any of the specific series mentioned.

I ordered some bundles from Book Bundler that hopefully will be enjoyed :). 

• Like 3

Wimpy Kid and Dog Man books pop up all the time on our local fb sale groups. Or ask around for donations of them- they’re pretty popular but kids outgrow them quick. 
(that’s how I got them for my classroom library)

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 2

I don't like to pay more than about $2.50 for early chapter books. My two favorite eBay book stores are:

gulfcoastllc

and 

oriontechllc

They always have buy 2, get 1 free on inexpensive paperbacks. 

Right now, both Gulf Coast Books and Orion Tech have the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books priced at around $3.55, buy 2 get 1 free, which works out to about $2.36 each. The price varies a little by condition. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MercyA said:

You're not anywhere near northern Indiana, right? Our co-op has a book sale every year and there will be TONS of kids' books of all kinds at $0.25 and up. 

The big friends of the library sale is next month for my suburb, and there wjkk be another for the central library, so I'll stock up. 

If we go to move L out, I'll stop by McKay's, too. But I'm really thinking that since a moving service will pick up on campus, store for the summer, and drop off in the fall, that's the way to go vs driving 6 hours each way to do it in May and then in August. 

• Like 2

I would reiterate asking on Buy Nothing/Freecycle type groups for the titles for your Little Free library. I know when we were getting rid of Dogman, I offered them up on Buy Nothing and would have been thrilled with a free library (My daughter is 11.5 and not ready to get rid of Warriors yet)

Edited by vonfirmath