Menu

Negative home covid tests

Carrie12345

The reason I’m active here today is because I’ve been sick as heck. I pushed through a no-make-ups assignment for yesterday and now I’m crashing in bed.

As an expert pregnancy test taker, lol, I am 100% certain that none of the brands of home covid tests I used had questionable results. But I think I’ve only been this sick twice before in my life. I’ve been very covid conscious until I went to my first concert in over 3 years this past weekend. 😩

Going for a lab test sounds like a physical nightmare right now. And I probably wouldn’t do anything different. So does it even matter at this point?

• Sad 4

I think keep doing what you're doing, don't worry about the test.  I was super sick over Thanksgiving - negative for Covid, flu, and strep. "just a cold" said my doctor. I wanted to punch him in the throat, b/c of how he downplayed it. (not really, but....).  I share this only to say - there still is stuff out there that knocks you flat on your back or butt, that isn't Covid. If the tests have been negative, it's likely not Covid - even if you did catch whatever it is at the concert. 

Hope you feel better soon, though! It's miserable! 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, TheReader said:

I think keep doing what you're doing, don't worry about the test.  I was super sick over Thanksgiving - negative for Covid, flu, and strep. "just a cold" said my doctor. I wanted to punch him in the throat, b/c of how he downplayed it. (not really, but....).  I share this only to say - there still is stuff out there that knocks you flat on your back or butt, that isn't Covid. If the tests have been negative, it's likely not Covid - even if you did catch whatever it is at the concert. 

Hope you feel better soon, though! It's miserable! 

This.  I was super sick in the start of November.   I tested for Covid over and over and went for PCR tests too.  It wasn't Covid.  But I was knocked out for 3 weeks.  

When did your symptoms start?  How many times have you tested in that time period?  I know that some people report not getting a positive until several days in.

I am sorry you are sick and hope you feel soon fast.

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

When did your symptoms start?  How many times have you tested in that time period?  I know that some people report not getting a positive until several days in.

This. If it’s only been a few days, it still might be Covid and your test just isn’t showing it yet. Or it could be one of the other nasty illnesses out there. 

• Like 2

Here is my two cents as someone who recently tested positive for Covid. I'd test again if:

you need to know because that will change how you treat it (isolate from family and/or get anti-viral) or if you need to know for an employer. If no matter the outcome, you treat as if it's covid, monitor your symptoms. Assuming you are not high risk, no need to drag yourself to a clinic.

Here is my quick story-have had a sore throat since early December. Truly the only symptom I had until last week when my ears started hurting. Went to a walk in clinic at Walgreens and I insisted they do a strep test. Negative on the strep. She wouldn't consider it being covid, said it just looked like I had the beginnings of an ear infection. Fast forward to Tuesday morning when I woke up feeling pretty crappy. Took a covid test for poops and giggles and what do you know...positive! Had a virtual visit with my dr yesterday and he prescribed an antiviral Lagevrio. I've decided not to take it as it needs to be taken within 5 days of symptoms which, I believe started mid week last week, thereby exempting me from the antiviral. He got snippy with me when I wondered if maybe I had covid last week and said just take the antiviral. 

Oy, I guess that wasn't a quick story but you aren't alone in this. It's so annoying. I hope you feel better soon. 

43 minutes ago, Katy said:

If you’re sicker than you’ve ever been OR it’s been 10+ days, it’s worth an urgent care visit. Someone should listen to your lungs and heart. 

Well, not THE sickest. In the past, I’ve had H1N1 and a separate bout of ambulance-worthy bronchitis. But the weakness and lightheadedness is running close! Also really need to work on pelvic floor health, as these occasional coughs have reminded me!

I think it was middle of the night Mon-Tues this started. Concert was Saturday.   
‘Dh was super sick around 3 weeks ago with negative home tests, and this seems similar to that mystery illness. Except I’m not a helpless man. 🤪

My DD18 got super sick over break including a 102 fever and tested 2x (spread out over several days), both negative.  This was after attending a big event. DH got sick after a work trip and wasn't super sick (more like a bad cold) but it went on for over a week, and he took I think 3 tests over a ten day period - all negative.  I think there is just a lot "going around" that people used to just chalk up to cold and flu season.  I know a few other people that have tested positive in recent months with at home tests, but I think we're just seeing more of other things and less COVID maybe?

Edited by kirstenhill

Personally I'd really want to know if I had covid or not, just to have that medical history in case of future complications, so I'd probably do another test, including a good throat swab, on day 5 or 6.

(Swabbing the back of your throat first, then the nose, seems to give much more accurate results on home tests.)

• Like 1