Menu

Jacobs Algebra

Nm.

Based on descriptions of this book & samples- it looks like a very good option for my kids. However, some places say it’s “lite”.  Does that mean it’s not college prep (STEM)?  What do you use after this for geometry & algebra 2? 

Edited by Lovinglife123

We used the original edition (not the Master book re-print), and did not find it light -- it covered a similar scope and sequence as other Algebra textbook programs that I looked at, such as Saxon, when deciding what to go with.

MUS is definitely the lightest program out there that I have seen, and far lighter than Jacobs.

For comparison, Art of Problem Solving is most likely the most rigorous program. The Dolciani textbook is not as rigorous as AoPS, but is more rigorous than Jacobs.

For math sequence: DS#1 used, and loved:
Miquon math
Singapore Primary (and about half of Singapore's OLD NEM level I)
Jacobs Algebra 1
Jacobs Geometry, 2nd ed.
Forester's Alg. 2 & Trig.

He has since earned his BS in MechEng with a 3.9+ GPA, and works for a small engineering firm here in town.

Yes, Jacobs prepared him for his STEM field, but also, he is naturally very "math-y". And like ANY math program, Jacobs will be a super fit for some, an okay fit for others, and not a fit for still others.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, EKS said:

Jacobs Algebra is truly excellent and not what I'd consider "lite."  

That said, it is gentle, especially at the beginning.

Do you use the original or masterbooks?  Are they different (assuming so)?

@Lori D. Thank you for clarifying about how “lite” it is.  MUS is very lite, it will be perfect for my child with some learning difficulties.  I like the idea of a gentle start to algebra since DS11 will be on the younger side to start.  He’s about average in math.  His testing is high, but he also works hard.

6 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

I used the original.  As far as I can tell the Masterbooks version is identical in terms of content.  The Set II problems (or maybe it is the Set III problems) are in a different book, whereas in the original they are right next to each other in the main textbook.  There is an introduction with religious overtones in the new version.  The new version also has more color than the original.  And they may have taken out some of the cartoons.  I'd look at my copy of the Masterbooks version but it is on my old computer and it is a hassle to get to it.  I don't know how the teacher's guides compare.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

I like the idea of a gentle start to algebra since DS11 will be on the younger side to start.

Jacobs is frequently suggested for younger students for just this reason.  I used it with my older son when he was 10 and it was perfect.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 2:13 AM, Lovinglife123 said:

I used the original text (for the student) with Masterbook's answer key (for me). For the most part, it lined up exactly. We did discover that any math problem that had to do with gambling (card game related problems) was changed in the Masterbook version. They also took out some of the cartoons (I'm guessing partially b/c of publishing rights) and moved set III problems to a separate book. Set II and Set III are pretty much identical problems with different numbers, so you're fine to skip set III if your student gets the concept. 

On 1/31/2023 at 11:24 PM, Lori D. said:

We used the original edition (not the Master book re-print), and did not find it light -- it covered a similar scope and sequence as other Algebra textbook programs that I looked at, such as Saxon, when deciding what to go with.

MUS is definitely the lightest program out there that I have seen, and far lighter than Jacobs.

For comparison, Art of Problem Solving is most likely the most rigorous program. The Dolciani textbook is not as rigorous as AoPS, but is more rigorous than Jacobs.

For math sequence: DS#1 used, and loved:
Miquon math
Singapore Primary (and about half of Singapore's OLD NEM level I)
Jacobs Algebra 1
Jacobs Geometry, 2nd ed.
Forester's Alg. 2 & Trig.

He has since earned his BS in MechEng with a 3.9+ GPA, and works for a small engineering firm here in town.

Yes, Jacobs prepared him for his STEM field, but also, he is naturally very "math-y". And like ANY math program, Jacobs will be a super fit for some, an okay fit for others, and not a fit for still others.

Did he take calculus in college after Foerster algebra 2? How would you compare Dolciani with Foerster?

34 minutes ago, Malam said:

Did he take calculus in college after Foerster algebra 2? How would you compare Dolciani with Foerster?

Because his Engineering degree was his second degree, enough years had passed between his high school math and starting the 2nd degree that he had to take the college Pre-Calc I and II before he could take Calculus. 

I have no personal experience with Dolciani to compare the two.

It is my favorite math book of any publisher or grade I've used. For my last three kids, I have used it when they were 12. Well, Dd13 just turned 13, but she is also almost finished. The boys did a 2nd year of Algebra with Foerster's, and I am planning on Dd13 following that pattern. They wouldn't need to, but I can only go so far with math and they've plenty of time.

Most (maybe all?) lessons start with a real world application, the instruction is clear and comprehensive without being too wordy, and the problem sets are well designed to further a student's understanding.

• Like 1

Definitely not light. All of my older kids have gone through Jacobs and gone on to do very well with higher levels of math. Varying degrees of mathiness: my oldest is about to graduate with a math major and was very well prepared both for AP calc and DE math and for college classes and is tentatively planning to go into a math phD program after a year off from school. The next two are not nearly so mathy, but have done well post-Jacobs, too. We've yet to find a pre-algebra we like, so I think all three of them ended up starting Jacobs pretty early on but taking two years to go through it, for a very thorough grounding in algebra. After that they did Jacobs geometry and then Foerster algebra 2. My husband is a math teacher, so he's used whatever his favorite pre-calc book is for them all, and so far the first two have successfully gone on to AP calc from there (one BC, AB for the non-STEM bound kid) (next one will do AB next year). 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...