Menu

If you have any knowledge of Charleston, SC at all...tiny wedding in March

popmom

My daughter is recently engaged--right before Christmas. She is a 3rd year AuD student. He is an officer in the Army. Dd is calling this an elopement. lol It will just be the couple, the parents, and the siblings. My brother in law will be officiating. This is my first rodeo! Possibly 3 more to go! (I have 4 daughters.)

They want to do this March 25. She just wants us to rent a couple of houses--one with a cute yard/courtyard for the ceremony. I know a lot of vacation rental managers prohibit parties/events, so I'm kinda stressed about finding a place that will let us DIY this. If you have ANY knowledge of Charleston at all--all ideas are appreciated. Both families are coming from out of town. We are in B'ham, AL. Groom's fam is from the Philadelphia area.

The lovely couple will be moving to the DC area in May where he will be taking a position with The Old Guard and she will be "externing" in Annapolis. As an aside: Prayers and good vibes appreciated that they can find somewhere to live with a German Shepherd and a Pit Bull that won't involve a soul crushing commute lol (((cries))) 

They really want this to be a small but meaningful experience, but they don't have a lot of time (or time off) before the big move. 

Edited by popmom

• popmom changed the title to If you have any knowledge of Charleston, SC at all...tiny wedding in March

Agree with Katy. In this area, that’s not an event. That’s a small family gathering/vacation. No one will batt an eyelash. If you were completely honest, even, they’d probably cheer you on and give recommendations. I’m not familiar with local vendors tho. Good luck!!  WRT finding a place within a reasonable commute that accommodates two big dogs, I see that as unlikely for all but the most senior personnel (field grade officer…at least?? If not…nope). DHs boss is a two star and was (tactfully) informed that he lacked the rank necessary to muster cadets at the academy. IJS. It’s a tough region.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Agree with Katy. In this area, that’s not an event. That’s a small family gathering/vacation. No one will batt an eyelash. If you were completely honest, even, they’d probably cheer you on and give recommendations. I’m not familiar with local vendors tho. Good luck!!  WRT finding a place within a reasonable commute that accommodates two big dogs, I see that as unlikely for all but the most senior personnel (field grade officer…at least?? If not…nope) is unlikely. DHs boss is a two star and was (tactfully) informed that he lacked the rank necessary to muster cadets at the academy. IJS.

Yes. You are correct. They are probably going to have to buy a house. And it will likely be an unpleasant commute for them both. The base up there really doesn't have much housing, and it's not convenient to Arlington OR Annapolis. They will give him a housing allowance to buy. He is living on base at Fort Benning right now--pretty nice digs and no issues with their big dogs.

Also, thank you for helping me relax. 🙂

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Katy said:

I don't know the area, but I would have zero problems calling something that small a family vacation. It isn't an event at all. And many rental houses are large and have enough sleeping areas for extended family get together.

Thanks to both of y'all. I was wondering if I should even bring it up when inquiring, so I won't worry about it. That's one less thing to stress about! I'm such a rule follower! lol 🙂

If I could just secure the property, I will actually enjoy the rest of this! I'm so excited for them!

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3

They don’t care what sort of ceremony the people renting the houses have, or if you have a few guest for dinner. They don’t want a huge party thrown with a ton of extra cars and noise for hours on end. I wouldn’t think twice about having what you’re describing at a “no parties” rental. 

• Like 4

Yes, I think it’s the extra people, or bringing all their stuff down to the beach for a ceremony. Catering trucks that park in the wrong places, 
Walking on dunes, etc. 

I would go to Airbnb and start looking. It’s a beautiful area - beach rentals would be isle of palms or kiawah. The Mt. Pleasant area could have some pretty marsh houses. And of course downtown Charleston would have older historic houses with courtyards. 

• Like 1

You can also ask. When my friend wanted to have a small gathering for dinner after her som’s wedding at an Airbnb, she messaged the owner and described what she wanted to do and how big it would be and that there would be no alcohol. The total people was close to what you were describing and it was no problem. 

• Like 1

Downtown Charleston has restrictions on home rentals so be careful when  renting as some folks still try to rent their place. Charleston is expensive (my dd goes to school there) so  be prepared for great food and higher prices. Charleston  is  quite the party town and is a bachelor/bachelorette haven. 

I would look into  the nearby  beaches, too, or Mt. Pleasant. 

Congratulations!

• Like 1