Menu

January 2023 craft

Melissa in Australia

There are so many talented people in this forum! Although I am not very active here, I enjoy seeing everybody's projects each month.
A few things I have finished: I crocheted Hats and Cowl sets for some of my extended family for Christmas (I made four, but I only took pictures of two...Christmas time tends to be a bit crazy around here). I finished two sweaters for myself. I had some leftover yarn from other projects and I crocheted the striped one to go over leggings. I am thinking about modifying the front of the open cardigan (crossing over and adding buttons). Right now I am working on a little hoodie as a baby shower present (will post pictures when done).

Web_Photo_Editor.jpg

Edited by StillStanding
  • Like 16

57 minutes ago, StillStanding said:

There are so many talented people in this forum! Although I am not very active here, I enjoy seeing everybody's projects each month.
A few things I have finished: I crocheted Hats and Cowl sets for some of my extended family for Christmas (I made four, but I only took pictures of two...Christmas time tends to be a bit crazy around here). I finished two sweaters for myself. I had some leftover yarn from other projects and I crochet the striped one to go over leggings. I am thinking about modifying the front of the open cardigan (crossing over and adding buttons). Right now I am working on a little hoodie as a baby shower present (will post pictures when done).

Web_Photo_Editor.jpg

These are beautiful!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StillStanding said:

A few things I have finished: I crocheted Hats and Cowl sets for some of my extended family for Christmas (I made four, but I only took pictures of two...Christmas time tends to be a bit crazy around here). I finished two sweaters for myself. I had some leftover yarn from other projects and I crochet the striped one to go over leggings. I am thinking about modifying the front of the open cardigan (crossing over and adding buttons). Right now I am working on a little hoodie as a baby shower present (will post pictures when done).

Web_Photo_Editor.jpg

These are gorgeous.  I have a bunch of yarn that I'd like to use but I have trouble keeping my stitches even.  

1 hour ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

These are gorgeous.  I have a bunch of yarn that I'd like to use but I have trouble keeping my stitches even.  

Thank you!

I have been crocheting for a while, but when I started I also had trouble with tension so I made myself a "Tension Regulator" and used that for a while (I just did a quick search and I am including a YouTube video--There are many). There are also "Tension Rings" you can buy (Amazon, Etsy, etc...) that are supposed to help with tension too. I have never used one. Like everything else, practice makes perfect. Crocheting can become addictive, so watch out!

Edited by StillStanding
  • Like 1

I haven't started anything in 2023, but I did clean and organize so I can start something. A ton of things in my house had to be moved around because of people and pets moving around, but I'm fairly well-situated now. 

My main crafts are scrapbooking and making cards, but I do have a fairly impressive array of other supplies as well. I do much better when I have goals and track my progress, so I'm trying to think of what is reasonable for a week. Like 1 layout, 2 cards, (practice) 3 techniques (yes, it has to be numbered, or be alliterative, or something). 

On 1/5/2023 at 3:21 PM, Jenny in Florida said:

bought myself this cross-stitch pattern.  

I love that! 

On 1/6/2023 at 2:22 PM, Faith-manor said:

Look what I bought!   the shorts if it is c323642526_728347638863638_5986767575276647686_n.jpg

I want that fox material, and I don't even sew. 

• Like 2

I got the quilt top all together, laid it on the bed, realized I need to add a border so it will still be big enough once I quilt it. The middle is a bit bubbly, but DH says leave it, it will be fine once quilted (it's not as bubbly as the photo looks, that's from the other quilt bunched up under it). 

So, planning out a border (DH does not want just the turquoise fabric around the edges which was my first thought.....) and will add that in the next day/week. 

Also realized, hmm, maybe I should have placed the woven heart somewhere it could actually be seen....:sigh: Oh well. It will be semi visible when you stand in our doorway....

IMG_5381.JPG

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, TheReader said:

I got the quilt top all together, laid it on the bed, realized I need to add a border so it will still be big enough once I quilt it. The middle is a bit bubbly, but DH says leave it, it will be fine once quilted (it's not as bubbly as the photo looks, that's from the other quilt bunched up under it). 

So, planning out a border (DH does not want just the turquoise fabric around the edges which was my first thought.....) and will add that in the next day/week. 

Also realized, hmm, maybe I should have placed the woven heart somewhere it could actually be seen....:sigh: Oh well. It will be semi visible when you stand in our doorway....

IMG_5381.JPG

It is absolutely beautiful! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheReader said:

IMG_5381.JPG

Absolutely stunning 

• Like 2

Baby blankets in progress. There will be two of these, and they will only have a layer of flannel in the center, not batting, because they are stroller blankets for summer so they aren't meant to be for cold weather though if baby is dressed quite warmly, they would be fine for a spring or autumn walk.

IMG_20230118_143103.jpg

• Like 13

I detoured on my quilt borders so I could dive into a bundle of challenge fabric and make the background for the challenge quilt. 

My favorite fabric company, Cherrywood (luscious hand-dyed cottons that look like suede) does a color challenge each year -- you purchase the given bundle and make something 20" square using only those fabrics, aligning with whatever the stated theme is for that year. Last year was "graffiti", one year was "Van Gogh", another year was "Princess Diana", etc.  This year the theme is "monarch" (the butterfly). 

You submit photos in June, and then some are chosen to be in the display that travels around at various quilt shows for a year(ish). 

Anyway, all that said, here's my background piece. I'll be crafting and adding the monarchs throughout the next months. (it's meant to be leaves, which is I think more obvious in real life, and will especially be so once it's layered and quilted). (it's done via reverse applique)

IMG_5403.JPG

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, TheReader said:

I'll be crafting and adding the monarchs throughout the next months. (it's meant to be leaves, which is I think more obvious in real life, and will especially be so once it's layered and quilted). (it's done via reverse applique)

It is clearly leaves! And reverse applique answers my very next question. I like how the background colors are randomized. It will be fun to watch your progress.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

It is clearly leaves! And reverse applique answers my very next question. I like how the background colors are randomized. It will be fun to watch your progress.

Thanks! I had to order 2 of the bundles to be able to have enough fabric to make it that way, LOL! (that's allowed, just not adding additional colors or anything). I did a very personal project using reverse applique and discovered I absolutely love it, so knew that's what I wanted for this. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheReader said:

It's beautiful, @Melissa in Australia! I'm so in awe of people who can construct clothing well! 3D things are (to  me, anyway) so much more difficult than nice, flat quilts!  (I've attempted a handful of tops and vests and things, with minimal success.....)

Thank you

For me it is the opposite.. Clothes are easy but quilts are challanging. I am not precise enough. Even my hand stitching aren't precise enough. 

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

All of my crafting got put on hold when I made the mad dash to Alabama because our grandson was born six weeks early. I just made the long drive home yesterday to take a two week break. My mom is there in my place. Today I am making spring pillow covers for the couch and matching table cloth for the coffer table. It is not spring. I know. It is February. It is raining, NOT snowing, and grey and nasty like November. Ugh. I decided I need something springy in my life so I making up the new fabric and will put it out and not care that it is out of season. I will post photos when I get them done. Right now I am taking a coffee break!

• Like 1

Two pillows shams and coffee table cloth made from this fabric. I am now trading out the newborn and 0-3 month size patterns for T's baby clothes. He has gained a lb so he is up to 5 lbs 3 oz, and I figure close to 6 lbs by the time he is released from the hospital. The one newborn size is up to 7 lbs, and we already do have some preemie clothes for him. So I think I will make just a few outfits in newborn, and then make some in 0-3 month which he won't even start wearing until April. Then we will Ser what his grpwth pattern is after that so I know of I should make more that size or go larger for the rest of summer.

IMG_20230209_150555.jpg

• Like 2