Menu

We're in Seoul!

chocolate-chip chooky

The biggest surprises have been with toilets.

1. You don't flush used TP. It goes in a bin beside the toilet. Many that I've seen are open, with everyone's, uh, wipeage on display. This took a little getting used to.

2. Some public bathrooms have the toilet paper on a single roll outside all the stalls. You have to guess what you'll need 😬

3. Some public toilets are squat toilets.

Other surprises are more about cultural etiquette. I've had to quickly adjust my perception of what is rude.

1. No one holds open doors for people. I've had two people do this in our two weeks here (my daughter and Kareni's daughter). The doors here are really heavy (insulated for the cold, I'm assuming), so you really need to be careful you don't get whacked by a swinging door.

2. There's no personal space, and people bump into you and push past. Train stations, buses, zebra crossings - it can be a bit like bumper cars. I've had people nudge into me and bump me along at the grocery shop.

3. Some places the etiquette is clear and everyone conforms eg queuing to get on trains, and how to use escalators. Other places are free for all eg zebra crossings 

These are just a few things off the top of my head.

Having said all that, we've adapted, and everyone has been really nice to us. I'm sure it helps that my daughter speaks fluent Korean, but even when I'm on my own (I have zero Korean) everyone is really pleasant. The things I've listed are general cultural etiquette and nothing personal and certainly aren't people being rude.

Edited by chocolate-chip chooky
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Murphy101

Some things to consider and plan for:

- K-eta. Travelling from Australia for under 90 days was just a K-eta. This was checked at Brisbane airport at departure. I found the process of organising our K-etas a bit challenging, so I suggest you do it early. Our K-etas last 2 years. Obviously, it might be different travelling from the US.

Edited to add: print out a copy of your k-eta. I needed to show paper copies and was glad I'd printed them. 

- QCode. This was checked at Brisbane airport at departure too. The website was a bit clunky, so again, I'd suggest not leaving it to the last minute. 

- Medications - check if any regular meds are considered as controlled substances in SK. If so, you need to apply for a permit (at least a month ahead, from memory. This didn't apply to us). I checked with the narcotics department of the Korean government to be sure. Non-controlled meds need a doctor's note and medical summary.

- have some cash in Won with you on arrival. Some things are cash only - notably, topping up travel cards.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'd forgotten about the toilets, @chocolate-chip chooky! (My visit was nine years ago.)

I recall our daughter telling us

-- that many Koreans do not care to have their photos taken so to be aware.

-- revealing shoulders was considered rude (but short skirts were fine). Clearly this is not an issue in the winter!

-- it is considered polite to hand things over with both hands rather than with a single hand.

-- that there are many places (such as restaurants) where you need to remove your shoes. I was in a store looking at children's books on my visit and moved into an area (perhaps for storytime?) where my shod feet were not welcome. That was a serious oops.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Kareni said:

I'd forgotten about the toilets, @chocolate-chip chooky! (My visit was nine years ago.)

-- revealing shoulders was considered rude (but short skirts were fine). Clearly this is not an issue in the winter!

-- it is considered polite to hand things over with both hands rather than with a single hand.

-- that there are many places (such as restaurants) where you need to remove your shoes. I was in a store looking at children's books on my visit and moved into an area (perhaps for storytime?) where my shod feet were not welcome. That was a serious oops.

Regards,

Kareni

This is helpful, thank you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

The biggest surprises have been with toilets.

1. You don't flush used TP. It goes in a bin beside the toilet. Many that I've seen are open, with everyone's, uh, wipeage on display. This took a little getting used to.

2. Some public bathrooms have the toilet paper on a single roll outside all the stalls. You have to guess what you'll need 😬

3. Some public toilets are squat toilets.

reasons #3956392 I’ve never stopped carrying baby wipes and hand sanitizer on me at all times - any public restroom situation in the world. 👍

3. Some places the etiquette is clear and everyone conforms eg queuing to get on trains, and how to use escalators. Other places are free for all eg zebra crossings 

whoa!! What the heck is a zebra crossing bc I’m pretty sure it’s not zebras.  Off to Google…

These are just a few things off the top of my head.

Having said all that, we've adapted, and everyone has been really nice to us. I'm sure it helps that my daughter speaks fluent Korean, but even when I'm on my own (I have zero Korean) everyone is really pleasant. The things I've listed are general cultural etiquette and nothing personal and certainly aren't people being rude.

And that’s my experience the few places I’ve ever been. Be nice and most people can be forgiving of occasional awareness failings. 

I knew this before coming here, but I hadn't really realised the extent - Korea is very mono-cultural. 

Coming from Australia which is hugely multicultural, this is a stark difference.

I think it’s admirable to see such human unity when it’s towards common good.

I’m very curious what their monoculture is like bc sometimes I wonder if multicultural has become no unifying culture at all. But that’s a far more serious discussion than I want to engage here. 🙂

2 hours ago, Kareni said:

I think the Korea attitude towards photos and publicity in general is extremely refreshing. It’s an aspect I wish America would take note of. 

The shoulders thing is something I just plan for bc it’s not entirely uncommon from a Catholic POV. Idk why. 🤷‍♀️ Apparently this is common even in cold weather too. Miniskirts and sweaters and jackets.

2 hours ago, Kareni said:

Regards,

Kareni

Oh my how awkward! So did they provide the slippers or is it just socks or bare feet or what? Like do people keep slippers in their purse or car just in case or what?  If I see no one with shoes, I have no problem taking mine off too.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

...So did they provide the slippers or is it just socks or bare feet or what? ...

Socks. Bare feet would not be acceptable in this case.

3 hours ago, Kareni said:

Quoting myself to say that my husband just reminded me that it is also considered polite to receive items with both hands.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Murphy101 Zebra crossing is a pedestrian crossing. White stripes on the bitumen road.

Some interesting traffic observations:

Motorbikes and scooters go wherever and whenever they please. Through red lights, across zebra crossings, along footpaths etc.

People park their cars seemingly anywhere. They put on their hazard lights and just park eg on footpaths

So much horn honking! 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

@Murphy101 Zebra crossing is a pedestrian crossing. White stripes on the bitumen road.

Crosswalks!  I had not heard them called zebra crossings before. Fun name. 

Some interesting traffic observations:

Motorbikes and scooters go wherever and whenever they please. Through red lights, across zebra crossings, along footpaths etc.

People park their cars seemingly anywhere. They put on their hazard lights and just park eg on footpaths

So much horn honking! 

Ya!  So it IS like on the kdramas then! We have commented so often about that while watching shows.

11 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Crosswalks!  I had not heard them called zebra crossings before. Fun name. 

Ya!  So it IS like on the kdramas then! We have commented so often about that while watching shows.

I'm ashamed to say that I have never watched a kdrama. I wish I could have teleported you here on the day we just happened to see one filming in the street. Whoever the main actor was was ridiculously good looking; very polished. It was funny to see his minder people keeping his ears warm with those shaky handwarmers 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/1/2023 at 5:10 PM, Kareni said:

This is interesting; we did not find it to be the case when we were in South Korea.  In fact, DS was overwhelmed by Koreans wanting to take their picture with him (and his red hair).  We would be anywhere from a gas station to a walking trail to inside a shopping mall and people would stop and ask him to take a picture with them (and offerred him everything from candy to a hot dog--he has often talked about how he could just make a living from getting his picture taken if he moved there).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whoever the main actor was was ridiculously good looking; very polished.

Alas, that doesn’t even begin to narrow it down…. Ridiculously good looking and impeccably dressed actors seems to be their superpower.  I’ve only just started watching KDramas, I was *not* prepared to have so many new favorite men!  

• Like 3

We've been wanting to go to Korea for years now ... obviously Covid was a roadblock.

My kids are now 15/16 and they can be pretty annoying to travel with at times.  We adults make plans and the teens hate nearly all of our plans.

So I told my kids that they need to do the planning for the Korea trip.  Let them find out how challenging it is to plan a trip that pleases most of the people, most of the time.  (Of course we adults will review, comment, revise, etc....)

It's been fun reading all of the above.  It makes me look forward to our trip even more.  🙂

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SKL said:

We've been wanting to go to Korea for years now ... obviously Covid was a roadblock.

My kids are now 15/16 and they can be pretty annoying to travel with at times.  We adults make plans and the teens hate nearly all of our plans.

So I told my kids that they need to do the planning for the Korea trip.  Let them find out how challenging it is to plan a trip that pleases most of the people, most of the time.  (Of course we adults will review, comment, revise, etc....)

It's been fun reading all of the above.  It makes me look forward to our trip even more.  🙂

I hope it all falls into place for you 🙂 What sort of things are you hoping to do and see?

We are fortunate in that we haven't butted heads at all. Our trip is based around a university winter program, and we're staying in a residential area, so we feel like we're living here and not travelling here, if that makes sense.

My daughter goes to uni. I go grocery shopping and do the laundry. We go to cafes for her to study. She goes to dance classes most nights.

In between these, we wander and explore, usually with no particular purpose or destination, and there's very little that we plan more than a day ahead. We had to book ahead for the HYBE museum, but that's about it.

We're also fortunate that we generally don't butt heads anyway, and we share a lot of interests.

I imagine too that travelling with only two people is a heap easier than travelling with three or more. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@Murphy101

I highly recommend the Korean National Museum. We've been twice, and we've still only seen about 1/3 of the place!

Mind you, my daughter is studying East Asian History here, so this is very much her thing. We're exploring slowly and thoroughly. It's a beautiful museum.

In amongst all the priceless relics, there are dots on the floor for 'BTS stood here' from their Graduates of 2020 speeches and performances.  Also national treasures 😄

IMG_20230108_161959243.jpg

20230110_151024.jpg

• Like 2

One day recently I went for a walk for bread and stumbled on a huge media hoo haa in Digital Media City. Turns out it was a live streamed fan meeting for Boys' Planet. I don't know anything about them, but it was fun to witness the spectacle!

Everyone else had their stepladders and massive cameras. All I had was a loaf of bread 😄

IMG_20230105_150103807.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

My daughter is going to dance classes at a range of exciting studios here: YGX (associated with YG entertainment - home of Blackpink, for example), 1million, Just Jerk and others too.

One night this took us to a part of town we hadn't explored before, and we came across traditional markets. @Murphy101 This was a very colourful and pumping part of the city. I'm really glad we experienced it.

IMG_20230105_200409164.jpg

IMG_20230105_192308582.jpg

• Like 7

15 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

@Murphy101

I highly recommend the Korean National Museum. We've been twice, and we've still only seen about 1/3 of the place!

Mind you, my daughter is studying East Asian History here, so this is very much her thing. We're exploring slowly and thoroughly. It's a beautiful museum.

In amongst all the priceless relics, there are dots on the floor for 'BTS stood here' from their Graduates of 2020 speeches and performances.  Also national treasures 😄

IMG_20230108_161959243.jpg

20230110_151024.jpg

Ha! About BTS - that’s awesome hilarious! We’d love that museum even without the BTS. 

15 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

One day recently I went for a walk for bread and stumbled on a huge media hoo haa in Digital Media City. Turns out it was a live streamed fan meeting for Boys' Planet. I don't know anything about them, but it was fun to witness the spectacle!

Everyone else had their stepladders and massive cameras. All I had was a loaf of bread 😄

IMG_20230105_150103807.jpg

My life story. Everyone else all excited and prepped. Me over here confused with bread. LOL

Have you gone to the famius Starfield Library in Seoul? It looks to die for and it’s on my list to see if I make it there. 

@Murphy101

We haven't been to the library. Thank you for the tip!

The fine dust is pretty yucky. It's raining right now, so hopefully it helps to clear it. We plan to go to the top of the tower, but we want a clearish day so that we can see something other than icky air. We have one more week here, so 🤞

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

@Murphy101

We haven't been to the library. Thank you for the tip!

The fine dust is pretty yucky. It's raining right now, so hopefully it helps to clear it. We plan to go to the top of the tower, but we want a clearish day so that we can see something other than icky air. We have one more week here, so 🤞

Only one week left already?! Idk about you but I feel like you just got there. 

• Like 2

On 1/13/2023 at 7:52 AM, Murphy101 said:

Only one week left already?! Idk about you but I feel like you just got there. 

We've been here four weeks already. It somehow has flown by while also feeling very comfortable and established. I think I've said elsewhere that we feel like we're living here and not travelling here. 

We are so so fortunate to have this experience.

• Like 9