Menu

Question about college deposits

mlktwins

My guys have been accepted to 4 schools so far. None top choice - those acceptances come out mid-Jan and mid-Feb.

How do deposits work? Should I put one down on one of these (refundable of course) to secure better housing until we know about the other 4 applications or do we wait until these top 4 choices come in?

If they get into their favorite of the mid-Jan dates, should we put deposits on their favorite of those ASAP (also for housing purposes)? The one coming mid-Feb is our reach. If they get in there they are likely going to go, but that is a whole month or more wasted at the other schools if they don't get into the reach school.

This college stuff is a lot of work 🤣😵 - especially times 2 kids!!!

• Like 2

Can you look and see when housing opens?  We are only looking at one school but the date housing applications open is not that early.  

Edit:  but there is not a housing shortage and there are decent prices for off-campus housing, I can see it would matter a lot at some schools

Edited by Lecka

I would like to think that housing is housing and concrete block walls can only be painted so many colors and it isn't a big deal - BUT THEN I read about my local state flagship converting loading docks into quad rooms, not getting all the Honors College students into Honors College dorms, and not guaranteeing housing for *any* returning students, and I think "hey, she may be on to something here."

• Like 1

Do the schools you are considering base housing placement on the order in which deposits are received (not all do)?  Is there a great enough variability in housing options at those schools to warrant wanting to be at the top of the list (this can vary widely by school, also).  

A friend of mine with a senior last year suggested that we keep an eye on housing deposits and deadlines b/c it is very school dependent. A lot of mid tier institutions are experiencing housing shortages as students/families shy away from colleges with limited aid and toward affordability and safety, this was especially acute at places like Tennessee State and Howard. We will pay deposits for two schools (DD has been accepted to three so far) in late January, well before the deadlines, to ensure she has a room. We know we’ll lose one of two but it’s worth it to us to buy more time. Her pick should be clear by the end of March.

• Like 4

DD 1 wasn't sure where she was going and Covid made it impossible to tour spring of Jr year, and risky to try in fall of Sr year.  We put down a deposit in December bc I heard if you didn't,  it could lead to not getting into the Honors dorm- which at this school was a must.  During pick times, her group of 4 got one of the last 4-room suites in the Honors dorm.  I'm really glad we paid early!  We didn't actually tour until February or March, but if I had waited she wouldn't even get to pick her room!  That option closed I think in January.  She would have still got a room, but no picking roommate groups or choice on dorms.  

DD2 isn't going to a school with housing issues, but I still paid housing deposit on the day it opened.  Not worth waiting IMO.  She is hoping for a private room in the Honors dorm, but we don't know if that option will be open.  

We paid deposits at two schools where housing varies widely and being early in the process matters. We have not paid a housing deposit (though we have paid an enrollment deposit) at her top choice, because they have plenty of housing and it’s all the same - quad suites of singles with a full kitchen. 

• Like 2

There are two types of "deposits" for colleges. One, is a housing deposit. The other is a tuition deposit.

It is unethical to put down more than one tuition deposit. Period. It's accepting two offers. You can't accept two offers. Please do not do this. It can actually get an offer rescinded in some cases.

It is considered fine to put down multiple housing deposits for schools that have them. Put down as many as your student might actually attend if housing is limited or if it gives your student an advantage in the housing process. I wouldn't bother for schools where housing is guaranteed and doing it earlier doesn't give you any advantages. Some places do no refund housing deposits, so read between the lines.

• Like 6