Menu

New Christmas Decorations?!

ScoutTN

Are you looking for something in particular to add to your home holiday/seasonal decor this year? 

I need another set of table linens, tablecloth and napkins.

I’s also like to find a set that are winter, but not Christmas, for January. Maybe dark blue plaid or with a white snowflake pattern? 

I have enough tapers to last through Advent, but will need to order more to have on hand for next year. I get beeswax ones from Big Dipper Waxworks.

we bought a new tree. . . . (or two - one will go back).  I've been searching for the last three years.   Downsizing again, to 7 1/2 ft this time.  (we started with an 11 ft tree, the down to a 9'.  It's too much for me, and I'm the one that decorates it.)

• Like 1

We are going to a village where my parents lived in the 60s. They bought a handcarved wooden nativity there, and passed it down to me. We periodically add to this (like every 20 years, not often!), and we will let the kids pick out a new piece. Same family still carving nativities. I’m pretty excited about it.

• Like 8

I have been buying vintage gnome, elf and mushroom Christmas decorations as I find ones that I like. I found two older felt and sequin mushrooms last week. I will likely keep them up year round because I love mushrooms. I have also bought several small vintage santa boots lately that I intend to use as flower vases closer to Christmas. I will likely go shopping tomorrow at a different antique market than I normally shop at, just to see what they have for the holidays. My cousin collects nativities and last year I bought her a small vintage one. I thought I would look for another one for her this year. I really should look for a new tablecloth. And I would love a new tree. Our older one is way too big. A few years ago, when I was really sick, my DH and DS went out and bought a small tree. It is a nice tree, but I would prefer something mid-size. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

We are going to a village where my parents lived in the 60s. They bought a handcarved wooden nativity there, and passed it down to me. We periodically add to this (like every 20 years, not often!), and we will let the kids pick out a new piece. Same family still carving nativities. I’m pretty excited about it.

I love this!

My nativity is complete, but Dd is collecting the lovely, small pieces from Danforth pewter. I was happy to add to her set this year.

• Like 1

We changed from our very heavy nativity oriented decorations to a woodland, Danish Jul, Scandi kind of look. So I am looking for some more birch logs, Scandinavian and woodland themed Father Christmases, and plant/nature themed decorations in greens (especially moss green), deep burgundy, whites, and natural wood finishes. We also have a Nisse collection that I am trying to add to, and I am also trying to collect a few antique, Danish Lutheran hymn books and carol collections. 

• Like 3

I have a collection of Nativities. The next one I get is probably going to be the peanuts one from Hallmark. 

Last year I bought a squirrel for our tree and this year I want to make a fried cat rug. We like Christmas Vacation around here. 

I'd also like a leg lamp(Christmas story), but they are $200. 

On my never ending to do list, I want to make a Christmas quilt and pillow cases for the living room. 

• Like 1

I’ve been on the hunt for simple wreaths that aren’t ridiculously expensive for my front windows. That may not be a thing, lol. I thought I scored, but wound up with a batch that was too tiny.  
Every year I splurge on a big, handmade door wreath from the farm, and I did get garland for around the front door, but the rest of the exterior is up in the air right now. I can’t fully consider myself cheap, but decorations are EXPENSIVE! And I can only talk myself into so much!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’ve been on the hunt for simple wreaths that aren’t ridiculously expensive for my front windows. That may not be a thing, lol. I thought I scored, but wound up with a batch that was too tiny.  
Every year I splurge on a big, handmade door wreath from the farm, and I did get garland for around the front door, but the rest of the exterior is up in the air right now. I can’t fully consider myself cheap, but decorations are EXPENSIVE! And I can only talk myself into so much!

I agree. I have been bargain hunting, thriving really, to see what I could reclaim for my purposes with the supplies I have in my craft and sewing stash. I am going to finance some purchases by selling a lot of my nativity collection - much of it is Jim Shore - on ebay. I just need to get the photos done and listings created. Hubs thinks I should set a price on the whole lot and put it on craigslist and Facebook marketplace to see if anyone local will buy it because shipping is so expensive, he doesn't think I will get anything for it on ebay.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I agree. I have been bargain hunting, thrifting really, to see what I could reclaim for my purposes with the supplies I have in my craft and sewing stash. I am going to finance some purchases by selling a lot of my nativity collection - much of it is Jim Shore - on ebay. I just need to get the photos done and listings created. Hubs thinks I should set a price on the whole lot and put it on craigslist and Facebook marketplace to see if anyone local will buy it because shipping is so expensive, he doesn't think I will get anything for it on ebay.

I am making this for Christmas Eve.

015310d0c68d636ebd3fc5122c007865.jpg

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 6