Menu

Update: Anyone familiar w Fox Theater in Atlanta?

TravelingChris

Update  I am so happy.  We got our tickets!  It should be a wonderful concert-B-52" final tour and KC 7 the Sunshine Band.  My family got me tickets to KC when they came here about five or so years ago.  We all thought it was a fantastic concert, especially since Harry Wayne Casey. the lead singer and composer, was recovering from the cold and still sang very well, and was so energetic.  And we have loved the B-52's for a long time but never been to one of their concerts/

If any of you are familiar w the Fox Theater in Atlanta, I have some questions.  How accessible is it?  And could my dh drop me off and go park, or is there very near parking?

I am currently renting a collapsible power scooter and may be using it.  But other times, I use  one of two rollator I own.  And on good days, I can walk w no assistance.  But I can't do lots of steps and since I added autoimmune lymphadema to my long list of AI, I generally can't walk more than 1/2 mile in one go.  It will be harder to walk since concerts aren't midday events.

Second question is about resellers.  This set of concerts were rescheduled so presumably some people won't be able to go and anyway. It seems like bots buy up  lot of the tickets.  Any reselling companies that you trust or you have been scr**^Ed by them?

Thanks in advance

Edited by TravelingChris

Yes, you can be dropped off at the Fox. Parking is not close, but he can stop on the street and let you off. That is what drop-off entails, though--he would have to stop on the street, drop you off and then park. There are only pay lots (no free parking), and they are probably $20-30. There is one very close, though, just north of the Fox on Peachtree Street. There is another just south of the Fox at the corner of Peachtree and Ponce, I think. You should be able to get parking at one or the other if you get there early enough. They are both a straight shot down Peachtree to the entrance.

If you are staying overnight, the Georgian Terrace Hotel is close and has parking. It is also rumored to be haunted, so if that appeals. . .

No idea on resellers.

• Like 2

Oh, the Fox is pretty accessible. The main entrance is set back from the street, but it is flat, and once you get in, if your seats are on the main floor, you can roll right to your row. I highly recommend taking an elevator or walking down the stairs to the main ladies' room. It is beautiful and worth the trip.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, popmom said:

It's amazing. I hope you can visit sometime.

From the photographs I've seen, I'd love to take a tour even with no one playing.

To see a beloved artist would be amazing. What a beautiful theatre.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, plansrme said:

Oh, the Fox is pretty accessible. The main entrance is set back from the street, but it is flat, and once you get in, if your seats are on the main floor, you can roll right to your row. I highly recommend taking an elevator or walking down the stairs to the main ladies' room. It is beautiful and worth the trip.

What are your thoughts on scooter vs rollator (walker). It is VERY congested at the entrance at show time. And I don't think there is a designated drop off, right? You literally just stop in the middle of traffic. I cannot remember if there is a curb to deal with. I would think a scooter would be difficult to navigate in the crowds--especially if you're alone @TravelingChris. Once you are inside--maybe, but getting from the street into the building I think would be much easier with a walker. 

Edited by popmom

@TravelingChris are y'all staying overnight? You might consider taking Uber from the hotel. I hate driving in ATL. 

I thought I remembered seeing this when I was there last... They have wheelchairs available first come first serve upon arrival.

Fox-Accesibility-Flyer_WEB-de6f24b9cc.pdf (foxtheatre.org)

This answers the curb question. I don't think there is an accessibility curb directly in front of the entrance. From the website:

The closest accessible parking options to the Fox Theatre are at the Yellow Lot on Peachtree Street, the Georgian Terrace deck, and the Orange Lot at Peachtree Street and 3rd Street.  The parking attendants at these lots will direct vehicles displaying an accessible license plate or tag to the reserved parking area.  Parking is subject to availability.  Accessible street corner curbs are located at all corners leading to the main entrance of the Fox Theatre.  To purchase accessible parking in advance, please contact the Fox Theatre Ticket Office at 404-881-2016.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Spy Car said:

From the photographs I've seen, I'd love to take a tour even with no one playing.

To see a beloved artist would be amazing. What a beautiful theatre.

Bill

My daughter was in the Atlanta Ballet's Nutcracker for 3 years, and for the first 2 of those 3, I was a backstage parent for her group for a bunch of performances. The first year, she did 10 or 11 performances, and I probably saw 6 of those from the audience and 3 or 4 from backstage. At the time, the backstage mom stood in the wings while they were performing.  Christmas was insane those years (she performed in the Christmas Eve show one of them), but I loved it.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

PYes, we will be staying overnight.  It is 4 hrs to Atlanta for us.

There are several hotels in Midtown pretty close to the Fox. An Uber may be cheaper than parking…or not. (DH’s company GHQ is in Midtown Atlanta, so we end up there fairly often, and even more now that L is in school in Decatur). The ones near GA Tech are often a little less expensive if it’s not a big, come to campus event weekend. There are also some business condo/apartment rentals in that area specifically designed for longer term stays which are nice if you need a kitchen, but double, triple, and quadruple check accessibility, because some of the older buildings are accessible in name only (elevator retrofitted at the far back of the building, the parking reserved for the complex is in a garage 2 blocks away and there’s no good drop off spot, etc). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, plansrme said:

My daughter was in the Atlanta Ballet's Nutcracker for 3 years, and for the first 2 of those 3, I was a backstage parent for her group for a bunch of performances. The first year, she did 10 or 11 performances, and I probably saw 6 of those from the audience and 3 or 4 from backstage. At the time, the backstage mom stood in the wings while they were performing.  Christmas was insane those years (she performed in the Christmas Eve show one of them), but I loved it.

Must have been a magical experience for all. What a life experience!

Bill

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Must have been a magical experience for all. What a life experience!

Bill

When I was first investigating this pretifusent for my dh, I saw on the Fox Theater website that they offer tours,  And with your post about how beautiful that theater is,  I remember today that I saw a montage of the  most beautiful theaters around the world, and it was one of the 20 or 25 displayed. Thanks for the memory and and now I will make sure that we visit it sometime regardless if we can go to that concert.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

When I was first investigating this pretifusent for my dh, I saw on the Fox Theater website that they offer tours,  And with your post about how beautiful that theater is,  I remember today that I saw a montage of the  most beautiful theaters around the world, and it was one of the 20 or 25 displayed. Thanks for the memory and and now I will make sure that we visit it sometime regardless if we can go to that concert.

I hope your show works out, as that would be extra-special.

I have a recording by a band I like who played a show there on what was my 19th birthday--May 19, 1977--and when I listen to that show I try to imagine that I'm in that space. I'd love to have a tour. I'd bring my "tape." LOL

Bill

• Like 1

We took a tour of the Fox a few years ago and it was really good. Small group, probably 10-12 people. Tour guide was excellent, told us lots of history, showed us a lot of behind the scenes stuff.  We took Marta and my then 85 year old dad was able to walk from the station through the tour, at a slow pace. Highly recommend the tour! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was going to recommend the Georgian Terrance that plansrme brought up.  We stayed there the last time we went to the Fox and just walked right over and back.  We did have an issue with our tickets but I don't remember exactly what the problem was.  I think my husband went through ticketmaster and I know he was scrambling up until the last second.  

• Thanks 1

• TravelingChris changed the title to Update: Anyone familiar w Fox Theater in Atlanta?