Menu

November Healthy Eating

Selkie

Hi, we have been eating an ever increasing amount of steamed or roasted veggies, particularly green ones. I think we have leveled off because we really have made it to seven servings a day of veggies for me, and five for dh who also eats two or three servings of fruit. I think if I get anymore fiber, I am going to have trouble. But we also have been eating smaller servings of meat so maybe 3 oz, and I am doing two rice or GF pasta based meals per week plus a pot of meatless soup for us to munch on throughout the week, usually chili or wild rice carrot with veggie broth and a lot of herbs. I have been baking some gf bread, and for our recent trip to Alabama, we packed food to eat in the car. No restaurant food. I am tired of cooking, but I do feel really good.

• Like 6

Tuesday

Breakfast and lunch were a weird mishmash. Two bananas right before class, then a small bowl of low-sugar granola with oat milk a couple hours later when class was done. Sipped some tea with dh while he ate lunch. 

Dinner--Leftover bunless burgers from yesterday and a spoonful of sauteed potatoes. Lovely salad on the side.

Snack--Dark chocolate. Also had a cup of df Mexican cocoa with dh.

• Like 3

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Muesli with soybeans, banana, apple, pear, blueberries, guava, passion fruit, pomegranate, pineapple, cherries, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soymilk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with roasted eggplant, scallions, tomato, shredded Brussels sprouts, WFPB creamy Italian dressing.

Dinner - Dinner was going to be leftovers, but I decided on the spur of the moment to make veggie stir fry with Thai peanut sauce (recipe from Dr. Fuhrman’s latest email). So I made a mountain of stir fry veggies (onions, peppers, broccoli, pea pods, green beans, cauliflower, baby corn, water chestnuts, carrots, a mix of mushrooms). Ingredients for the sauce were water, medjool dates, unsweetened peanut butter, unsweetened shredded coconut, ginger, lime juice, red curry powder (I used paste), chili powder, cumin, and turmeric. I threw in three big cloves of garlic for good measure.  Also had the rest of the veggie/tofu sushi.

• Like 3

Somehow I forgot to do this yesterday:

Tuesday 

67 rainbow       🌈 

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth

lunch- Scrambled Eggs with mixed greens, onions and mushrooms, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate squares 

snack- gf brown bread with df cream cheese, mixed fruit cup with peaches,pineapple and pears 

dinner - Hash of sweet potatoes, carrots and yukon gold potatoes; ground beef, tomato

Hard boiled eggs  

• Like 2

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed greens and microgreens. Muesli with Dominican beans, banana, guava, mango, cherries, pomegranate, blueberries, kiwi, apple, pear, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soymilk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with edamame, roasted eggplant, mushrooms, beets, shredded Brussels sprouts, tomato, red onion, WFPB creamy Italian. A lemon poppyseed WellBean bar.

Dinner - More of the Thai peanut veggie stir fry that I made yesterday. I added baked tofu and served it over a mix of farro and riced cauliflower.

• Like 2

Wednesday

68 rainbow       🌈 

lunch- Scrambled Eggs with mixed greens, onions and mushrooms, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate squares 

snack- gf brown bread with df cream cheese

dinner - this is where I fell off the wagon, though I don't know if I really think of it that way.  I just made some bad choices that messed with my blood sugars.  Had some kettle chips with truffle oil which didn't taste nice like I thought they were, but were instead something I didn't really like the taste of.  So I have set them aside for my husband to see if he likes them.  I also had a gf buffalo chicken mac and cheese.  That was tasty but too carby.

, mixed fruit cup with peaches,pineapple and pears  

• Like 2

Wednesday was nothing for breakfast because I got crazy busy with the grandkids, salad for lunch with some leftover meatless Mexican gumbo, and then falling entirely off the bandwagon with a not generous but definitely not tiny helping of sausage gravy and biscuits.

Today: 

Breakfast - 2 boiled eggs

Lunch - mushroom and onion risotto and roast Brussels sprouts (double large helping of sprouts)

Dinner - will be 1/3 of a chicken breast roasted over the backyard fire with green beans, potatoes, and red pepper. I will eat a full cup of the green beans, as well as a cup of potatoes, and a cup of red pepper, and will probably also have a few salad greens so I should still hit 6-7 servings of veggies.

Tomorrow may not be so great. I have a bazillion errands to run for DD, and will be out most of the day. I will probably eat a boiled egg before I leave, get a sour cream and chive baked potato at Wendy's, grab some hummus and GF crackers when I pick up the groceries and snack on them late afternoon, and when I get home, see if there are any leftovers from tonight that have still not been consumed and eat that or just not eat because I am going to be too tired deal with it, and little one will probably be pretty cranky and not feeling well because I am taking him for a couple immunizations. 

I leave Saturday and have the 12 hour drive home. I am taking hummus, cheddar cheese, red pepper and celery sticks, GF crackers, almonds, cashews, and a granola bar on addition to my water bottle...no restaurant food. So it won't be 5-7 vegetable servings, but it also won't be unhealthy fare either.

Oh well, it hasn't been a bad week at all, health wise, and I will make myself nuts if I try to be perfect every.single.day.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 3

November is a hard month in which to eat healthy!  We're trying to manage it.  I got my covid & flu vaccines this week and have a poor appetite.  Dh is trying to help, but I haven't wanted proteins much at all.

Breakfast - Cream of Wheat, tea, an orange

Lunch - warm pearl couscous with lemon, olive oil, spinach, onion, and capers

Dinner - cacio e pepe ravioli, Caesar salad

• Like 4

Thursday - 

Breakfast - A WellBean bar on the way to an early appointment. Mixed greens and microgreens. Muesli with soybeans, plum, banana, guava, kiwi, mango, blueberries, pomegranate, apple, pear, cherries, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soymilk.

I was out of my usual routine today and my meals were off kilter. I actually didn’t eat my fruit/muesli bowl until 1 pm because my morning was hectic, so it was technically lunch. But then I got hungry around 3:30 pm and realized I had better get some more food in me, so:

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with edamame, roasted eggplant, mushrooms, tomato, scallions, cashew mayo, mustard.

Dinner - An artichoke and the rest of the Thai peanut veggie/tofu stir fry with cauliflower rice and farro.

• Like 3

Thursday

Breakfast--1 banana-oatmeal pancake, 1 half organic sausage patty, 1 banana; also bought a really amazing df decaf cardamom-rose latte. It's my new favorite flavor.

Lunch--GF ramen (rice noodles), also a handful of cauliflower crackers with Kite Hill df cream cheese

Dinner--Chicken with a spicy tomato-spinach-onion curry sauce on rice, also pineapple

Snacks--gf apple cinnamon muffin (small) and also polished off last bit of df ice cream while rummaging the freezer

• Like 3

Thursday 

69 rainbow       🌈 

snack- gf brown bread with df cream cheese, mixed fruit cup with peach, pineapple and pears 

dinner - chicken soup (chicken, celery, onions, carrots, cashews, chicken broth, potatoes), chocolate pudding 

Hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3

Friday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Muesli with beluga lentils, passion fruit, apple, Asian pear, blueberries, pomegranate, guava, kiwi, banana, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, almonds, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soymilk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Ezekiel toast with almond butter. A small head of jacaranda broccoli with WFPB ranch dip.

Dinner - Made a recipe that I saw on Facebook and it was great - vegan jalapeño popper soup, from a site called This Healthy Kitchen. I tweaked the recipe a little to make it WFPB. You give a head of cauliflower a whirl in the food processor, along with onion, garlic, red bell pepper, and jalapeños, then sauté it all and add corn and veggie broth. After it’s simmered, you add a “cheese” sauce made from cashews, veggie broth, apple cider vinegar, coconut aminos, onion powder, and smoked paprika. It was so delicious, and different from any soup I’ve made before. Also had an artichoke and two Not-a-Cookies.

• Like 3

Friday-

70 rainbow        🌈 

snack- gf brown bread with df cream cheese, mixed fruit cup with peach, pineapple and pears 

dinner - “garden  scramble”- Home fried potatoes, bell peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes and Cheddar cheese scrambled with eggs, arugula and pickled red onion garnish and served with gf toast and blackberry jam

Hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Oats (I am out of my usual muesli, so just had 1/3 cup oats) with vaquero beans, banana, apple, Asian pear, kiwi, blueberries, pomegranate, dragon fruit, passion fruit, cherries, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens and microgreens. Thai peanut curry with farro and cauliflower rice.

Dinner - An artichoke and a bowl of last night's jalapeño popper soup.

Dessert will be pumpkin pie nice cream.

• Like 2

Saturday-

71 rainbow         🌈 

lunch- Scrambled Eggs with mixed greens, onions and mushrooms, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate squares and cherries 

dinner - gf crackers, hummus; a bit of leftover chocolate pudding  Not my best dinner  

Hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Saturday

Breakfast--low-sugar granola with oat milk, tea (S)

Lunch--Spicy chicken with spinach and onions and tomato on rice, also had a pear.

Dinner--GF gnocchi with meat sauce, also salad.

Dessert--almond cake sweetened with maple syrup

Sunday

Breakfast--gf pancakes with maple syrup, bacon, tea (NS)

Lunch--small fried potato, also leftover gnocchi with meat sauce and some blueberries

Dinner--The plan is loosely to have leftovers. I will throw in some protein either by eating eggs or stirfrying some tofu with rice noodles. I will allow myself one more portion of the lovely almond cake and then freeze the rest. It's low-sugar and high flavor, so I feel grateful to have it, but it's also a dessert and not really something I should indulge in every day.

• Like 2

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and broccoli microgreens. Oats with soybeans, apple, pear, blueberries, pomegranate, mango, cherries, passion fruit, kiwi, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. The last bit of leftover Thai peanut stir fry with some other veggies thrown in - eggplant, beets, edamame.

Dinner - Tried Monkey and Me’s recipe for cauliflower migas and it was a hit. Good thing I doubled the recipe, as there is only a tiny smidge left over (one of my college kids was here for dinner). Cauliflower, red onion, garlic, red bell pepper, jalapeños, veggie broth, coconut aminos, nutritional yeast, corn tortillas, salsa, and spices. Also had spicy black beans and a little brown rice, and topped it all with avocado and cashew sour cream.

• Like 3

Sunday-

72 rainbow         🌈 

lunch- lettuce wrap cheeseburger with tomato, pickles, sauce;  coleslaw. 

snack- chocolate squares and cherries 

dinner - Scrambled Eggs with mixed greens, onions and mushrooms, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, mixed fruit cup with peach, pineapple and pears 

Hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Monday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and broccoli microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, vaquero beans, apple, pear, kiwi, blueberries, mango, cherries, pomegranate, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Quinoa with black beans, sweet potato, red bell pepper, edamame, tomatoes, jacaranda broccoli, olives, cashew ranch with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. A G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - Tacos (corn tortillas, brown rice, chickpeas, mushrooms, red onion, red bell pepper, zucchini, summer squash, bok choy, avocado, cashew sour cream, salsa).

• Like 2

Monday-

73 rainbow         🌈 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mixed greens, onions and mushrooms; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate squares with cherries.

snack- gf toast with sunflower "cream cheese" and mango/peach jam.

dinner - Stir fry with thin sliced beef and shrimp, carrots, yellow, red, orange and green bell peppers, yellow summer squash, zucchini, red onions, cabbage, sugar snap peas, bok choy, mushrooms

Hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

I made a pot of meatless chili yesterday. We do like to put a little sour cream in it, but otherwise very yummy, healthy, and filling. We had it with salads last night, will use it to top baked potatoes for lunch, and then have bowls again tonight with some steamed broccoli on the side and homemade, gluten free cornbread. 

Tomorrow I am making a pot of potato chowder and we will do that again for a couple of days so that I am not cooking every meal. 

• Like 3

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and broccoli microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, beluga lentils, mango, cherries, dragon fruit, passion fruit, pomegranate, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, kiwi, apple, pear, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, almonds, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Lentil dhal with quinoa and veggies (red onion, bok choy, red bell pepper, mushrooms, zucchini, summer squash) and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. A G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - Soup from the freezer  - it was one I made a few weeks ago, with barley and all kinds of beans and veggies. Also an artichoke.

• Like 2

Tuesday -

74 rainbow         🌈 

lunch- Scrambled Eggs with mixed greens, onions and mushrooms, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate squares and cherries 

dinner - Vietnamese chicken stir fry (chicken, rice vermicelli, bok choy, carrots, red bell peppers, broccoli, green beans, onion)  

Hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

I don’t post often, but I’m still going…..with my gf, low fodmap, mostly WFPB, very low sugar diet.  Found a good potato soup recipe that is low fodmap and gf that really tastes good. Thanks to discovering Fody Soup Base, I can now make soups taste better. It’s just a spice blend.  I love soups and ones that taste good, are easy to make, and tick all those boxes are hard to find. 

Will have oatmeal for breakfast sweetened with banana and strawberries. 

I don’t know about lunch yet…..

Tonight I’ll  have gf pasta with Rao’s Sensitive marina sauce. Dh will have meat in his, and his will be baked with cheese on top. 

I need to steam a large pot of kale today for this week and freeze some to have for next week. I have been cooking sweet potatoes and edamame in the microwave to keep on hand to go with the kale. Also I have been cooking a pot of quinoa in the Instant Pot to last a few days. 

• Like 3

Tuesday

Breakfast - 2 bananas, gf crackers with df Kite Hill chive/"cheese"

Lunch - tea (S), lunchmeat/corn tortilla rolls with hummus, grapes

Snack--salt cravings--had a handful of tortilla chips

Dinner--Vegetable soup and quinoa flatbread. It was pretty good! My son is scoffing at the very idea of quinoa flatbread, but dh and I liked it.

• Like 2

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed greens and broccoli microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, soybeans, kiwi, pomegranate, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, apple, pear, mango, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Ezekiel toast with nut butter (almond and hazelnut).

Dinner - Butternut ravioli with roasted mushrooms, broccoli, and marinara.

• Like 2

Wednesday  -

75 rainbow          🌈 

snack- mixed fruit cup with peach, pineapple and pears 

dinner - Stir fry with thin sliced beef and shrimp, carrots, yellow, red, orange and green bell peppers, yellow summer squash, zucchini, red onions, cabbage, sugar snap peas, bok choy, mushrooms

Hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Wednesday 

Breakfast—2 bananas, some Polish sausage, an apple

Lunch—chicken tamales, 2 macarons, grapes

Dinner—pork chops, sweet potato, broccoli

Snack—1 piece almond cake

Thursday

Breakfast—df yogurt with low-sugar granola

Lunch—hamburger patty with tomato, also fries and some Coke. I almost never have soft drinks—at the time I shrugged it off but now in retrospect I realize I could just as easily have grabbed some apple juice to satisfy the craving for something sweet with the meal.

Dinner—chicken with rice

• Like 2

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, vaquero beans, beluga lentils, passion fruit, dragon fruit, mango, cherries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, kiwi, apple, pear, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, almonds, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with shredded Brussels sprouts, roasted eggplant & beets, tomato, scallions, edamame, cashew mayo, mustard.

Dinner - An artichoke and leftover butternut ravioli with roasted broccoli and mushrooms and marinara.

• Like 2

Thursday  -

76 rainbow          🌈 

snack- mixed fruit cup with peach, pineapple and pears 

dinner - rotisserie chicken, potato salad, broccoli salad, veggie sushi

Hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Friday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, Dominican beans, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, apple, pear, kiwi, mango, pomegranate, passion fruit, dragon fruit, pineapple, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Corn tortillas with black beans, brown rice, tomato, onion, green peppers, avocado, cashew sour cream, cilantro. A lemon poppyseed WellBean bar.

Dinner - I got a new cookbook that is chock full of amazing recipes. It’s called Be a Plant Based Warrior Woman by Jane Esselstyn and Ann Crile Esselstyn (wife and daughter of the legendary Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn of the Cleveland Clinic). I literally want to make every single recipe in this book, so I flipped it open and just randomly chose the first two I saw for dinner tonight. The first was their Brussels sprouts tots, which are Brussels sprouts coated in a hummus/spice mixture and roasted - so tasty, like an ultra-healthy version of a restaurant appetizer.  And the second was their twice baked potatoes - Yukon Gold and sweet potatoes, onion, garlic, nutritional yeast, soy milk, kale, green onions, and spices.

• Like 3

Friday   -

77 rainbow          🌈 

snack- mixed fruit cup with peach, pineapple and pears, gf toast with peanut butter and mango/ peach jam

dinner - carnitas Michoacan (pork with spices and Mexican cola), salad of tomato, lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, corn tortilla, ranch beans, sautéed onions and green, red and yellow bell peppers 

Hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

Friday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, Dominican beans, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, apple, pear, kiwi, mango, pomegranate, passion fruit, dragon fruit, pineapple, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Corn tortillas with black beans, brown rice, tomato, onion, green peppers, avocado, cashew sour cream, cilantro. A lemon poppyseed WellBean bar.

Dinner - I got a new cookbook that is chock full of amazing recipes. It’s called Be a Plant Based Warrior Woman by Jane Esselstyn and Ann Crile Esselstyn (wife and daughter of the legendary Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn of the Cleveland Clinic). I literally want to make every single recipe in this book, so I flipped it open and just randomly chose the first two I saw for dinner tonight. The first was their Brussels sprouts tots, which are Brussels sprouts coated in a hummus/spice mixture and roasted - so tasty, like an ultra-healthy version of a restaurant appetizer.  And the second was their twice baked potatoes - Yukon Gold and sweet potatoes, onion, garlic, nutritional yeast, soy milk, kale, green onions, and spices.

Oh! I pre-ordered that cookbook and looked through it when it arrived, but was busy and put it on my bookshelf for later. I am on a small vacation now and - best intentions to eat healthy… we were in very small touristy towns and vegetarian/gluten free options have been slim. Cannot wait to get home and back to my normal food! Thankfully, we did find a restaurant yesterday that had a fruit plate on their breakfast menu. I was leery of ordering it, but it ended up being amazingly fresh and a great assortment of fruit. We went back today and I ordered it again. I think that has been about the only healthy food I have found on this trip! Anyway. I am making a mental note to pull that cookbook out as soon as we get home. I am so inspired by their vitality. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, GoVanGogh said:

Oh! I pre-ordered that cookbook and looked through it when it arrived, but was busy and put it on my bookshelf for later. I am on a small vacation now and - best intentions to eat healthy… we were in very small touristy towns and vegetarian/gluten free options have been slim. Cannot wait to get home and back to my normal food! Thankfully, we did find a restaurant yesterday that had a fruit plate on their breakfast menu. I was leery of ordering it, but it ended up being amazingly fresh and a great assortment of fruit. We went back today and I ordered it again. I think that has been about the only healthy food I have found on this trip! Anyway. I am making a mental note to pull that cookbook out as soon as we get home. I am so inspired by their vitality. 

Restaurant food is tough! Hooray for a delicious fruit plate, though. I’ve heard from so many people from other countries who are shocked at the scarcity of veggie food in US restaurants. Hopefully, the US will catch up with other parts of the world. I’m to the point where I would rather just bring food from home when I’m on the road, or stop at a grocery store to pick up healthy food.

The cookbook is a real gem. I’m about to flip through and pick a recipe for dinner. You are right about the vitality of the Esselstyn family - they are amazing. Ann is in her late eighties and is more fit than most people a quarter of her age.

• Like 3

Friday

Breakfast--eggs, sweet potato, tea (S)

Lunch--pork chops, blueberries

Snack--salt cravings, ate a handful of chips. I had been doing better with this for a couple weeks, but I am falling into this trap again. 

Dinner--Curried chicken salad (chicken, mayo, green onions, celery, almonds, raisins, lotsa curry), quinoa flatbread, apple

• Like 2

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, soybeans, cherries, apple, Asian pear, pineapple, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, kiwi, passion fruit, dragon fruit, pomegranate, mango, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Hummus and veggies (roasted eggplant, beets, edamame, tomatoes, a few leftover Brussels sprouts). A lemon G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - I made the Wide Open Burrito Bowl from the Esselstyn’s cookbook. Chorizo tofu, brown rice, chopped spring mix, tomatoes, red bell pepper, scallions, guacamole, cilantro microgreens, and their Tangy Lime and Sweet Corn Sauce (which was excellent, unlike any other sauce I’ve had before, and quick and easy to make).

• Like 2

Saturday    -

78 rainbow          🌈 

snack- mixed fruit cup with peach, pineapple and pears, gf toast with peanut butter and mango/ peach jam

dinner - carnitas Michoacan (pork with spices and Mexican cola), salad of tomato, lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, corn tortilla, ranch beans, sautéed onions and green, red and yellow bell peppers (other half of what I ordered yesterday)

Hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Saturday

Breakfast--low-sugar granola with df yogurt

Lunch--curried chicken salad with gf crackers

Dinner--dolmathes, a smidge of leftover chicken salad with gf crackers, potato salad

Snack--popcorn, apple juice (100% juice, no added sugar)

Sunday

Breakfast--df yogurt with low-sugar granola, tea (S)

Lunch--shredded beef with onions and peppers, pineapple, some chips. Had some blueberries with df vanilla yogurt as well. 

Dinner--More shredded beef, eggplant parmesan

• Like 2

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, beluga lentils, kiwi, apple, Asian pear, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, pomegranate, dragon fruit, mango, cherries, passion fruit, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with hummus, roasted eggplant, scallions, tofu. A chocolate chip walnut WellBean bar.

Dinner - I made Wicked Red Curry Soup from the PlantYou cookbook by Carleigh Bodrug. I forgot how much I enjoy this cookbook - the recipes are quick and fairly simple, but very flavorful. Soup contains onion, garlic, ginger, red bell pepper, mushrooms, sweet potato, green peas, coconut milk, red curry paste, veggie broth. Served it over brown rice. Also had an artichoke.

Edited by Selkie
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 8:40 AM, Selkie said:

Restaurant food is tough! Hooray for a delicious fruit plate, though. I’ve heard from so many people from other countries who are shocked at the scarcity of veggie food in US restaurants. Hopefully, the US will catch up with other parts of the world. I’m to the point where I would rather just bring food from home when I’m on the road, or stop at a grocery store to pick up healthy food.

The cookbook is a real gem. I’m about to flip through and pick a recipe for dinner. You are right about the vitality of the Esselstyn family - they are amazing. Ann is in her late eighties and is more fit than most people a quarter of her age.

I loved the fresh food options in France, Canada, upstate New York and San Diego. The majority of the food in US restaurants is so lacking in fresh vegetables or the vegetables are cooked to mush or coated in way too much dressing. (I try to order salads with dressing on the side, but forgot on Friday night and my salad was swimming in oil.) We ended up eating at one restaurant a second time because of its amazing fresh fruit plate. And we, thankfully, made it to a cafe at an herb farm that we have gone to for over twenty years. I had a lovely fresh salad, full of microgreens and herbs. Otherwise, most of the my meals over the past week have been pretty dismal, nutrition wise. We got home this afternoon and ended up going out for supper, thankfully to a place that has vegan tacos. After that, we went to the grocery store so I could stock up on fresh produce. Back to healthy eating! 

• Like 3