Menu

November Healthy Eating

Selkie

Saturday

Breakfast--gf/df french toast with maple syrup, blueberries, bacon, tea

Lunch--df sandwich, fresh guacamole with corn chips

Dinner--turkey, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes. Later a small slice of pumpkin pie.

Still eating holiday leftovers, this time with ds and future dil. Doing well holding the line on portion control. 

• Like 2

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, Dominican beans, kiwi, banana, guava, dragon fruit, passion fruit, apple, pear, figs, apricots, blueberries, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Sandwich with Ezekiel bread, tofu, cucumber, scallions, carrots, shredded Brussels sprouts, cashew mayo, mustard, sriracha.

Dinner - Deconstructed wonton soup (Monkey & Me recipe). Ingredients are mushrooms, coconut aminos, carrots, ginger, garlic, veggie broth, rice vinegar, miso, tahini, green cabbage, scallions, spices, edamame, spinach gnocchi. Also an artichoke.

• Like 2

Sunday 

93 rainbow 🌈 

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth 

Lunch- omelette with avocado, tomatoes, green onions, spinach, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, pineapple; gf pancakes 

Dinner- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate squares 

• Like 1

Sunday

Breakfast—gf pancakes with a smidge of maple syrup and bacon, also melon on the side. Also tea.

Lunch—veg stirfry (mostly veg with minimal purple rice). After all the holiday food it was a relief to eat an entirely veg meal.

Dinner—leftover kielbasa and sauerkraut, leftover veg stirfry, melon.

Dessert—We sent most of the pie with ds and his fiancée when they went back to school, but dh and I had the last slice while we watched a movie.

My goal this week is super clean food with lots of veg as a specific focus. Having guests for days on end meant too much rich food even though I feel good about having small portions. 

• Like 3

Monday

94 rainbow 🌈 

Lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate squares 

snack- mixed fruit cup with peaches, pears and pineapple 

dinner- turkey soup (leftover turkey, carrots, celery, onions, brown rice,broth)

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Monday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, beluga lentils, blueberries, banana, dragon fruit, passion fruit, pomegranate, apple, pear, kiwi, guava, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, almonds, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Sandwich with Ezekiel bread, tofu, scallions, tomato, carrot, shredded Brussels sprouts, cashew mayo, mustard, sriracha. A walnut chocolate chip WellBean bar.

Dinner - An artichoke and a bowl of leftover deconstructed wonton soup.

Dessert - Vanilla macadamia nice cream with shredded coconut and cacao nibs.

• Like 2

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, soybeans, guava, pineapple, plum, blueberries, kiwi, banana, pomegranate, apple, pear, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Sandwich with Ezekiel bread, tofu, tomato, scallions, shredded Brussels sprouts, carrots, roasted eggplant, cashew mayo, mustard, sriracha.

Dinner - Fajitas with tofu, veggies (red onion, zucchini, summer squash, bell peppers, kohlrabi, mushrooms, Brussels sprouts, artichoke hearts, purple cauliflower), corn tortillas, guacamole, scallions, jalapeños, radishes, cilantro, salsa.

• Like 2

Tuesday

95 rainbow 🌈 

Lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, cranberry chocolate squares 

dinner- roasted cauliflower and broccoli, brown rice, steak 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Tuesday

Breakfast--organic breakfast sausage and a banana, also apple juice (100%)

Lunch--I ate lunch really late, ended up with a smattering of this and that. Fried potatoes, half a skinny bunless burger, some Polish sausage, an orange, some gf bread with df butter, tea. 

Dinner--Thanksgiving bits: turkey, cranberry, sweet potato. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GoVanGogh said:

I bought this dvd set as a Christmas present to myself and received it today. Can’t wait to start watching it. I also bought his nutrition planner/journal to - hopefully- keep me on track. 
https://shop.drfuhrman.com/immersion-excursion-dvd-box-set/

Nice! Dr. Fuhrman's advice has been so key for me. Dr. Greger lit the fire in me to get healthy, but Dr. Fuhrman's been the one kicking me in the butt to make it happen!  I love how blunt and straightforward he is about health - he is definitely not one to sugarcoat!. I've learned so much from his books and interviews and the Ask the Doctor forum on his site.

• Like 2

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, beluga lentils, blueberries, banana, orange zest, kiwi, apple, pear, pomegranate, cherries, passion fruit, dragon fruit, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, almonds, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Sandwich with Ezekiel bread, tofu, roasted eggplant, carrot, tomato, shredded Brussels sprouts, cashew mayo, mustard, sriracha.

Dinner - Same as lat night - tofu & veggie fajitas.

• Like 2

Wednesday

95 rainbow 🌈 

Lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, cranberry chocolate squares 

dinner- turkey soup (turkey, carrots, onions, brown rice, broth, celery)

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Selkie said:

Nice! Dr. Fuhrman's advice has been so key for me. Dr. Greger lit the fire in me to get healthy, but Dr. Fuhrman's been the one kicking me in the butt to make it happen!  I love how blunt and straightforward he is about health - he is definitely not one to sugarcoat!. I've learned so much from his books and interviews and the Ask the Doctor forum on his site.

Yes! I read one of Dr Fuhrman’s books several years ago, but I rediscovered him earlier this year when I watched a YouTube gardening video where they toured Dr Fuhrman’s garden and greenhouse. it was so amazing and inspirational. 

• Like 2

Wednesday

Breakfast--Oatmeal with raisins, walnuts, cinnamon, cashew milk, and a splash of maple syrup. I went a little heavier on the cinnamon and lighter on the maple syrup and loved it. Also tea (S).

Lunch--A couple sandwich rolls with corn tortillas for bread. Some dark chocolate as well.

Dinner--Tuna salad and a green salad, also a few pickles. Later some herbal tea (NS).

An unfortunate addendum--Was unfortunately glutened by someone as well. I won't go into all the details. Suffice it to say I am swollen and sore now. The actual calories ingested were few, but that doesn't really matter with gluten. Oy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, GoVanGogh said:

Yes! I read one of Dr Fuhrman’s books several years ago, but I rediscovered him earlier this year when I watched a YouTube gardening video where they toured Dr Fuhrman’s garden and greenhouse. it was so amazing and inspirational. 

I'm going to look for that video. Since he moved to California, he talks often about how great it is to be able to grow so many kinds of fruits and veggies - figs, artichokes, etc. I'm envious, here in Zone 4!

Another plant based doctor I really like is Dr. Ron Weiss. He has an organic farm in New Jersey and his medical practice is located right there at the farm. He also has a program where he teaches medical students about regenerative agriculture and healthy eating. 

https://www.ethosprimarycare.com

https://www.ethosfarmproject.org/doctors-farm-market

There are lots of interviews with him on YouTube. He is a very passionate guy when it comes to growing healthy food.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

I'm going to look for that video. Since he moved to California, he talks often about how great it is to be able to grow so many kinds of fruits and veggies - figs, artichokes, etc. I'm envious, here in Zone 4!

Another plant based doctor I really like is Dr. Ron Weiss. He has an organic farm in New Jersey and his medical practice is located right there at the farm. He also has a program where he teaches medical students about regenerative agriculture and healthy eating. 

https://www.ethosprimarycare.com

https://www.ethosfarmproject.org/doctors-farm-market

There are lots of interviews with him on YouTube. He is a very passionate guy when it comes to growing healthy food.

Oh! Thank you for that info. I try to buy as much of my food as possible from a farmer’s market that requires items to be grown or produced locally. (So no imported bananas, etc.) There are several farmers that follow regenerative ag, which I am huge into. (I am trying to grow more of my own food, but that is a long term learning experience. LOL I am having great success right now with winter greens, which has been wonderful. But this summer was historically hot and dry, so things like beans and tomatoes shut down then didn’t even much of a chance to rebound before we had an early first freeze. I hope to do more to extend the growing seasons in the future.) I saw Dr David Montgomery speak on soil health earlier this year, how the health of the soil impacts the health of the plants grown then impacts our health. It was a great talk. I have a few of his books, but haven’t finished reading any of them yet… (He is a geologist, not medical doctor.) I think I was the only person in the audience not a local farmer, just wanting to implement those ideas on my own property. 

re: Dr Fuhrman. I knew he was now in California, but I didn’t know if he kept the former home/garden. In the video I watched, he was talking about growing figs in a greenhouse and lamenting the short growing seasons. I do think there are pros and cons to any zone. I am in zone 8a, so we have a very long growing season. But we can’t grow things like cherries, currants, gooseberries, etc.

This is the video I mentioned:

(I want a water plant cloner after seeing this!) 

• Like 2

Wednesday was a bust. Mark has bronchitis and all he wanted was cough drops and spicy soup. I made a large pot of Hot and Sour soup with a pot of rice and we ate on that all day long. Really not a spectacular amount of calories, and apart from the diced green onion we like to put on top, not a day loaded in veggies. I think he at two tangelos.

Today, he's feeling a little better. He didn't want breakfast though so I didn't make anything. 

Lunch - we have some chopped, roasted chicken breast left over from a previous dinner that I had popped into the freezer. We are having that with steamed broccoli and baked potatoes.

Tonight - I am making roast Brussels sprouts, green beans, salads, and more of the roast chicken breast which we will eat cold on top of the salads.

I am too busy quilting - and making a hash of it so I have ripped two seams out today - to even think about having a snack! Tonight will be the same because I have two quilts to hand tack the binding on while watching movies. This makes slightly sad because I love to have parmesan popcorn during a good movie. My hope is to splurge for that tomorrow night and watch Scrooge or some other holiday film.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GoVanGogh said:

Oh! Thank you for that info. I try to buy as much of my food as possible from a farmer’s market that requires items to be grown or produced locally. (So no imported bananas, etc.) There are several farmers that follow regenerative ag, which I am huge into. (I am trying to grow more of my own food, but that is a long term learning experience. LOL I am having great success right now with winter greens, which has been wonderful. But this summer was historically hot and dry, so things like beans and tomatoes shut down then didn’t even much of a chance to rebound before we had an early first freeze. I hope to do more to extend the growing seasons in the future.) I saw Dr David Montgomery speak on soil health earlier this year, how the health of the soil impacts the health of the plants grown then impacts our health. It was a great talk. I have a few of his books, but haven’t finished reading any of them yet… (He is a geologist, not medical doctor.) I think I was the only person in the audience not a local farmer, just wanting to implement those ideas on my own property. 

re: Dr Fuhrman. I knew he was now in California, but I didn’t know if he kept the former home/garden. In the video I watched, he was talking about growing figs in a greenhouse and lamenting the short growing seasons. I do think there are pros and cons to any zone. I am in zone 8a, so we have a very long growing season. But we can’t grow things like cherries, currants, gooseberries, etc.

This is the video I mentioned:

(I want a water plant cloner after seeing this!) 

Thanks for posting the video! I’m looking forward to watching it tomorrow.

• Like 1