Menu

November Healthy Eating

Selkie

Monday - 

Breakfast - A WellBean bar on the way to an early appointment. Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, soybeans, pomegranate, kiwi, cherries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, passion fruit, apple, pear, dragon fruit, mango, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Leftover chorizo tofu with red bell pepper, tomato, avocado, cilantro, sweet corn lime sauce.

Dinner - An artichoke and a bowl of red curry soup served over wild rice.

• Like 1

Monday

80 rainbow     🌈 

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms and onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate squares 

snack- gf toast with peanut butter and mango peach jam

dinner - instant pot Chipotle chicken bowl (brown rice, chicken, purple, yellow and white corn, salsa, garbanzo beans)

Hard boiled eggs 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 9:34 PM, GoVanGogh said:

I loved the fresh food options in France, Canada, upstate New York and San Diego. The majority of the food in US restaurants is so lacking in fresh vegetables or the vegetables are cooked to mush or coated in way too much dressing. (I try to order salads with dressing on the side, but forgot on Friday night and my salad was swimming in oil.) We ended up eating at one restaurant a second time because of its amazing fresh fruit plate. And we, thankfully, made it to a cafe at an herb farm that we have gone to for over twenty years. I had a lovely fresh salad, full of microgreens and herbs. Otherwise, most of the my meals over the past week have been pretty dismal, nutrition wise. We got home this afternoon and ended up going out for supper, thankfully to a place that has vegan tacos. After that, we went to the grocery store so I could stock up on fresh produce. Back to healthy eating! 

Emphatically agreeing with you regarding the lack of fresh veg and veg cooked to mush or coated in too much dressing. The other killer is the dressings or sauces that taste fake from so many additives/preservatives. 

• Like 2

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, Dominican beans, kiwi, pomegranate, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, mango, apple, pear, cherries, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with chorizo tofu, avocado, tomato, red bell pepper, sweet corn lime sauce.

Dinner - Spicy Thai braised kale and tofu (recipe from Dr. Fuhrman). Ingredients are tofu, onion, ginger, garlic, jalapeño, spices, veggie broth, unsweetened peanut butter, tomato paste, kale, lime juice, scallions. We had it over cauliflower rice.

• Like 2

Tuesday 

81    rainbow     🌈 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms and onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate squares 

snack- gf toast with peanut butter and mango peach jam, mixed fruit cup with pineapple, pears and peaches 

dinner - instant pot Chipotle chicken bowl (brown rice, chicken, purple, yellow and white corn, salsa, garbanzo beans), sautéed green beans with onions and mushrooms 

Hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Wednesday - Today was clean-out-the-fridge day, to make room for the two big boxes of produce that just arrived.

Breakfast - A WellBean bar while running errands. Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, black ayocote beans, passion fruit, peaches, pineapple, apple, pear, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, pomegranate, cherries, kiwi, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with tomatoes, shredded Brussels sprouts, edamame, radishes, cashew mayo, mustard, sriracha. A G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - An artichoke, homemade za’atar pita chips, hummus, and guacamole. A small bowl of Thai red curry soup over cauliflower rice. 

• Like 1

Wednesday

82    rainbow     🌈 exactly the same food as on Tuesday

snack- gf toast with peanut butter and mango peach jam, mixed fruit cup with pineapple, pears and peaches 

dinner - instant pot Chipotle chicken bowl (brown rice, chicken, purple, yellow and white corn, salsa, garbanzo beans), sautéed green beans with onions and mushrooms 

Hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, yelloweye beans, pomegranate, peaches, pineapple, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, kiwi, apple, pear, cherries, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, almonds, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Leftover spicy Thai braised kale and tofu with cauliflower rice.

Dinner - Creamy mushroom barley soup (Monkey & Me recipe), but I was out of barley and used freekeh instead. Ingredients = onion, garlic, tomato paste, mushrooms, coconut aminos, veggie broth, nutritional yeast, freekeh, cashew cream, red wine vinegar. An artichoke.

• Like 2

Flopped at mid-day, mostly because I scheduled appointments too close together and did not make a plan for food. Lesson learned. 

Breakfast--low-sugar granola with cashew milk, apple

Lunch--Grabbed some fast food while running around like crazy between appointments. I'm beating myself up for not sensibly ordering a salad. I skipped the bun on the burger, but still. 

Dinner--salmon, plain rice, green beans. Followed up with a cup of tea, lightly sweetened.

But on the bright side, no dark chocolate and I did great with drinking water all day.

• Like 2

Thursday

83 rainbow     🌈 

dinner - instant pot chicken in gf orange sauce, brussels sprouts, red and yellow peppers, onions, mushrooms , brown rice 

Hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

We had boiled eggs and V8 juice this morning. It was an early start to the day, and though neither of us are big morning eaters and tend to skip breakfast, we needed to gnosh something. Of course it was as followed by a LOT of morning coffee! 😁

For lunch I made some herbed beef broth into gravy, and served over mashed potatoes with roasted green beans for the side, and small salads. 

Supper will be mushroom Wellington with cooked carrots, and a cream cheese carrot glaze over the Wellington. I use Neufchatel for lower fat content, but decent flavor. We will also have some leftover green beans with it because I made way too much for lunch even though we were both eating two servings of them. So I think between the potatoes, salads, green beans, and carrots we will have 7 servings of vegetables (not counting the V8 juice) by the end of the day.

• Like 3

Friday

Breakfast - plain unsweetened Cheerios with cashew milk, blueberries, unsweetened fruit tea

Lunch - street tacos, yum. (chicken on corn tortillas with spicy cole slaw)

Dinner--Overjoyed because I made delicious gluten free fried chicken. Ds is home and he requested fried chicken, and I finally managed to make a gluten free version that tastes like the real deal. I also had green beans and sauteed apples with a sprinkle of cinnamon. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Friday

Breakfast - plain unsweetened Cheerios with cashew milk, blueberries, unsweetened fruit tea

Lunch - street tacos, yum. (chicken on corn tortillas with spicy cole slaw)

Dinner--Overjoyed because I made delicious gluten free fried chicken. Ds is home and he requested fried chicken, and I finally managed to make a gluten free version that tastes like the real deal. I also had green beans and sauteed apples with a sprinkle of cinnamon. 

Recipe?

• Like 2

Friday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, black ayocote beans, strawberries, peaches, pineapple, blueberries, cherries, plum, kiwi, pomegranate, apple, pear, passion fruit, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with edamame, scallions, tomato, roasted beets, shredded Brussels sprouts, cashew mayo, mustard. A G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - The recipe for tonight’s dinner came from an unlikely source, the Australian Daily Mail. The article was about an Aussie food blogger/TikTokker, and the featured recipe caught my eye - rice paper dumplings.  I modified it a tiny bit (made it oil-free, subbed coconut aminos for soy sauce, and added ume plum vinegar and red onions) and they turned out fantastic. The filling is cabbage, carrots, red onion, garlic, ginger, mushrooms, tofu, coconut aminos, and a splash of ume plum vinegar. Wrap it all up in a rice paper wrapper and crisp each side in a pan for a couple minutes. So good. Made a dipping sauce with coconut aminos, rice wine vinegar, garlic, ginger, and sriracha.

• Like 3

Friday 

84 rainbow     🌈 

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, no coconut yogurt because I ran out , bone broth

dinner - cheeseburger with tomato, lettuce, salad with greens, tomato and cucumber, honey mustard dressing; df gf peppermint brownie ice cream in a gf cone

Hard boiled eggs 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 3

Saturday - 

Breakfast - A lemon poppyseed WellBean bar while running errands. Watercress and mixed microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, yelloweye beans, kiwi, apple, pear, blueberries, pomegranate, passion fruit, cherries, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Ezekiel toast with peanut butter and chia and hemp seeds.

Dinner - An artichoke and a bowl of leftover mushroom freekeh soup.

Dessert - Vanilla macadamia nice cream with cacao nibs.

• Like 2

Saturday 

85 rainbow     🌈 

dinner - scrambled eggs with chicken, gf bread with mango peach jam 

Hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

On 11/18/2022 at 9:26 PM, Jean in Newcastle said:

Recipe?

I used a 1-to-1 flour mix. I added garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, black pepper, just a tiny bit of cayenne, and salt. Generous proportions on all those spices. Dip chicken in the flour mix, then in egg, then back in the flour mix. I fried in shallow oil in a regular pan.

I suspect that chickpea flour would work well but I have not tried that yet.

I've tried using cornmeal or almond flour in the past, but those particles are too big. The soft, white flour mix sticks much better to the chicken. That meant that when it hit the hot oil, it made a solid, fried "skin" that resulted in a flaky, lovely interior with a good crisp crust.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saturday

Breakfast--gf pancakes with a drizzle of maple syrup and organic sausage. 

Lunch--pork tamales with freshly made guacamole, also a pear. Tea (S).

Snack--dark chocolate

Dinner--Ds is visiting this weekend from school, so dh had a magnificent time grilling. I had two spare ribs and some roast beef, along with wild rice/onion/mushroom and broccoli. 

• Like 2

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Watercress and arugula with mixed microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, black ayocote beans, guava, plum, mango, pineapple, blueberries, apple, pear, kiwi, passion fruit, pomegranate, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Sandwich with Ezekiel bread, red onion, tomato, roasted beets, shredded Brussels sprouts, cashew mayo, mustard, sriracha. A lemon G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - Veggie sushi (nori, tofu, avocado, scallions, cucumber, red cabbage, brown rice, panko, black sesame seeds).

• Like 2

Yesterday was not a great eating day. We were invited to a charity breakfast with Christmas music program. The only gluten free item was pancakes which were made on a separate griddle. They had small cups of fruit, but I normally do not eat carbs like that in the morning. My mom is type 2 and so is my brother. We had traveled a good distance to get to the event, and had of course the return trip to make, so I ended up acquiescing and ate a small pancake and a few berries. Ugh. I am not type 2 simply because I control my blood sugar entirely by diet. I am certain if I was not super careful about carbs and sugar/sweetener intake, I would be classified type 2. So this was a little upsetting for me.

The carbs didn't last long so on the way home I was hungry. We stopped at a Mexican grill, and I had brown rice with black beans, a bunch of grilled vegetables, and some shredded chicken with a small amount of cheese, quacamole, and sour cream. My choices are limited due to wheat allergy, and this is one place where I seem to do okay with not getting cross contamination. High calorie for sure. But under the circumstances, I figure enough fiber, vegetables, protein, and fat to regulate blood sugar well. I then ate a couple of boiled eggs on a salad for supper.

• Like 3

Monday - 

Breakfast - A lemon poppyseed WellBean bar on the way to drop my cat off at the vet. Mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, soybeans, banana, guava, mango, pomegranate, blueberries, kiwi, apple, pear, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Sandwich with Ezekiel bread, mustard, sriracha, tofu, roasted beets, red onion, tomato, shredded Brussels sprouts.

Dinner - The last of the veggie/tofu sushi.

I am one happy little Nutritarian today - my new Vitamix arrived! My trusty old one finally died after well over a decade of daily use. Boy, did I miss having a Vitamix for the few days I was without one. The new one is much fancier - so nice!

• Like 4

MONDAY

Breakfast--gf pancakes and an organic sausage patty, tea (NS)

Lunch--2 gf bread rolls with df butter, 1 pork tamale, grapes, a small pear, water with lime juice

Snack--dark chocolate, a handful of chips leftover from ds' recent visit 

Dinner--fried apples with plain cinnamon, wild rice with onions and mushrooms, some roast beef

Looking over this, I'm realizing this was more carbs than I want for the average day due to pancakes + gf bread + tamale. The impulsive chips don't help either. Will try to aim for more veg and fewer carbs tomorrow.

• Like 2

Monday

87 rainbow     🌈 

Lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate squares 

snack- mixed fruit cup with peaches, pineapple and pears; gf toast with peanut butter and mango peach jam 

Dinner- gf rice and lentil pasta; tomato sauce with ground turkey, mandarin orange

Hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Today I had a mid morning omelette with some sauteed spinach, red pepper, mushrooms, and green onion topped with a little parmesan. I had some V-8 juice, and then nothing else until supper because I spent most of the day running the mothers to various doctor appointments and helping them with their holiday grocery shopping.

Tonight I made a chicken pot pie. Carrots, potatoes, leeks, mushrooms, celery, peas, and green beans, minced garlic, lots of other herbs. I used four ounces of chicken breast and chicken broth with corn starch to make the gravy, and pre baked a homemade gf pie shell. It was very yummy.

Tomorrow is going to be insane. So I am putting on a crockpot of meatless chili on to cook, and will toss baked potatoes in the oven later in the day. We will eat on the chili all day as we come and go, and at some point stop long enough to eat the baked potatoes. I am tired just thinking about tomorrow. Thankfully, the chilli is dump ingredients, turn on crock pot, and walk away.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Selkie said:

Monday - 

Breakfast - A lemon poppyseed WellBean bar on the way to drop my cat off at the vet. Mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, soybeans, banana, guava, mango, pomegranate, blueberries, kiwi, apple, pear, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Sandwich with Ezekiel bread, mustard, sriracha, tofu, roasted beets, red onion, tomato, shredded Brussels sprouts.

Dinner - The last of the veggie/tofu sushi.

I am one happy little Nutritarian today - my new Vitamix arrived! My trusty old one finally died after well over a decade of daily use. Boy, did I miss having a Vitamix for the few days I was without one. The new one is much fancier - so nice!

Enjoy your new Vitamix! I just got one last Christmas and love it! I don’t know how I ever lived without one. 

• Like 3

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, soybeans, apple, blueberries, pomegranate, passion fruit, guava, plum, banana, kiwi, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, lemon zest, walnuts, almonds, flax,chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Sandwich with Ezekiel bread, roasted eggplant & beets, red onion, tomato, shredded Brussels sprouts, cashew mayo, mustard, sriracha.

Dinner - An artichoke and a bowl of Cozy Sweet Potato Peanut Stew - recipe is from the PlantYou cookbook, and we loved it. Ingredients = onion, garlic, red bell pepper, ginger, sweet potatoes, cinnamon, smoked paprika, cumin, turmeric, veggie broth, tomato paste, red lentils, unsweetened peanut butter, kale. I threw in two bags of mixed frozen mushrooms, too.

• Like 2

Tuesday 

88 rainbow 🌈 

Lunch- scrambled eggs with ham and cheese, gf toast with strawberry jam

snack- mixed fruit cup with peaches, pineapple and pears; gf toast with peanut butter and mango peach jam 

Dinner- chicken in gf orange sauce, corn, lima beans, carrots, peas, brown rice 

Hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - A lemon poppyseed WellBean bar while running errands. Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, beluga lentils, pomegranate, blueberries, guava, apple, pear, kiwi, banana, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Sandwich with Ezekiel bread, roasted eggplant & beets, tomato, shredded Brussels sprouts, red onion, fresh basil & rosemary, cashew mayo, mustard, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

Dinner - We had Thanksgiving Eve festivities at our house tonight. I had a vegan cheesesteak sandwich made with seitan and mushrooms and some roasted chestnuts that were fresh out of the oven.

• Like 2

Wednesday 

89 rainbow 🌈 

Lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate squares 

Dinner- Amy’s black bean chili

Hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Thursday - Happy Thanksgiving!

Breakfast - Mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, yelloweye beans, apple, Asian pear, blueberries, passion fruit, guava, kiwi, banana, pomegranate, cherries, lemon zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Sandwich with Ezekiel bread, cashew mayo, mustard, sriracha, cucumber, carrot, tomato, red onion, shredded Brussels sprouts, radishes. Two mandarins.

Dinner - Best Thanksgiving meal ever. We are big fans of Taim Mediterranean Kitchen in NYC. Their food is available to order from Goldbelly, and we got the cauliflower shawarma, which is to die for. It comes with whole wheat pita bread, hummus, tahini, s’rug, pickles, peppers, and pickled red onions. I also made roasted mushrooms and broccoli.

• Like 3

Thursday 

90 rainbow 🌈 

Lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate squares 

Dinner- Turkey leg, yam, green beans with gf crispy onions, cranberry sauce, gf df stuffing

Df gf pumpkin cheesecake 

• Like 2

I did not overeat so I am happy with myself. Got busy and didn't eat any breakfast.

I had a healthy serving of mashed potatoes light on gravy, small serving of turkey breast, large helping of roasted green beans, large helping of roast carrots, one roll, no cookies, no pie, but did have a small scone which only had 1/4 cup of sugar for the entire batter which produced 8 huge scones which I cut in half to make 16 more reasonable sized servings. So my scone was very low sugar. Water with the meal.

We will have leftovers tomorrow, and I will eat similarly, and then some potato and leek soup at supper.

At times, the temptation for seconds was strong, but I resisted and the reward was feeling very comfortable after the meal, and no food coma over indulging.

• Like 3

Friday - 

Breakfast - Mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, soybeans, passion fruit, banana, kiwi, guava, blueberries, apple, Asian pear, cherries, lemon zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Leftover cauliflower shawarma.

Dinner - Salad with mixed greens, microgreens, Greek vinaigrette. An artichoke, a bowl of leftover peanut sweet potato stew, carrots and hummus, a few roasted chestnuts, and a walnut chocolate chip WellBean bar. 

• Like 2

I did pretty okay with holiday food--it's all high-cal stuff, but I didn't overeat.

Thursday

Breakfast--eggs with ham, tea (NS)

Lunch--THE FEAST: turkey with df gf gravy, cranberry sauce, sweet potato casserole, green beans, salad with vinaigrette. Dessert was pumpkin pie of course. This time around I made literally the best pumpkin pie I've ever tasted. I made an almond flour crust, and for the pumpkin custard I used df yoghurt rather than milk and only 2 eggs rather than 3, which makes for a firmer pie and a stronger pumpkin flavor. The real gamechanger, though, is the addition of 2T molasses--all the flavors took on deeper, bolder notes. Shazam!

Dinner--Salad with vinaigrette, popcorn, pork tamales. 

Friday

Breakfast--oatmeal with raisins and walnuts, also cashew milk and a splash of maple syrup. Green decaf tea (NS)

Lunch--mixed meat sandwich on gf bread, veg with hummus, cherries, leftover popcorn

Dinner--Ds and his fiancee joined us for Polish food. Yum. Kielbasa, sauerkraut, gf roll. Later I had a banana as well. 

Dessert--Took a walk as a family and ended up at Coldstone. I was excited to see they have almond milk ice cream, so I indulged in their smallest size scoop with pecans added. 

• Like 4

I always enjoy reading everyone’s meals, so inspirational. I almost never actually post, though. I did want to share this… We decided to go out to eat, to a regional semi-upscale place that serves Southwestern food. (Black beans, blue corn meal, etc.) Their holiday buffet had their normal items, plus traditional Thanksgiving items and an omelette station. I didn’t know how easy it would be to eat plant-based vegetarian/gluten-free but I had joked before going that I would be happy to just eat their wonderful guacamole and sweet potato chips and call it a meal. I was very pleasantly surprised. They had mushrooms - separate from their meat fillings - to make street tacos, plus black beans and - the best - fresh guacamole. The rest of the family ate a mix of Southwestern meat dishes, turkey and ham. I didn’t feel left out and really enjoyed all of the vegetarian offerings. I did cook a blueberry pie with just one gluten free bottom crust. It was really good. (And I make a large fresh green smoothie for breakfast, to make sure I did get my greens in before out mid-afternoon reservation time.) 

• Like 4

Friday 

91 rainbow 🌈 

snack- bone broth 

Dinner- Turkey leg, yam, green beans with gf crispy onions, cranberry sauce, gf df stuffing

Hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, GoVanGogh said:

I always enjoy reading everyone’s meals, so inspirational. I almost never actually post, though. I did want to share this… We decided to go out to eat, to a regional semi-upscale place that serves Southwestern food. (Black beans, blue corn meal, etc.) Their holiday buffet had their normal items, plus traditional Thanksgiving items and an omelette station. I didn’t know how easy it would be to eat plant-based vegetarian/gluten-free but I had joked before going that I would be happy to just eat their wonderful guacamole and sweet potato chips and call it a meal. I was very pleasantly surprised. They had mushrooms - separate from their meat fillings - to make street tacos, plus black beans and - the best - fresh guacamole. The rest of the family ate a mix of Southwestern meat dishes, turkey and ham. I didn’t feel left out and really enjoyed all of the vegetarian offerings. I did cook a blueberry pie with just one gluten free bottom crust. It was really good. (And I make a large fresh green smoothie for breakfast, to make sure I did get my greens in before out mid-afternoon reservation time.) 

I had a similar experience this past August when an Indian student came to stay with us for a week before his apartment was ready. This student is a strict vegetarian--all veg, no eggs, but he does ingest milk and butter (or rather, ghee). I decided to follow his same diet to the letter myself (and also my usual dairy free for lactose intolerance and gluten free for gluten intolerance), just for fun, for that week. I thought I would be hungry constantly, but I was not at all. Everything was flavorful and filling. It gave me pause on what I assumed about needing meat in my diet. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, GoVanGogh said:

Yay, so glad you had a great Thanksgiving meal! The restaurant sounds amazing. Wish they would open one where I live!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I had a similar experience this past August when an Indian student came to stay with us for a week before his apartment was ready. This student is a strict vegetarian--all veg, no eggs, but he does ingest milk and butter (or rather, ghee). I decided to follow his same diet to the letter myself (and also my usual dairy free for lactose intolerance and gluten free for gluten intolerance), just for fun, for that week. I thought I would be hungry constantly, but I was not at all. Everything was flavorful and filling. It gave me pause on what I assumed about needing meat in my diet. 

Interesting! For me, I found that the things that negatively affect my level of satiety are salt (huge appetite stimulant), added sugars (ditto), and oils and fatty foods. When I was eating those things, I would often feel hungry, even though I was putting more calories in my body than it actually needed. Once I eliminated all of them from my diet, my body (and brain) just calmed right down and became much more happy and content.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Interesting! For me, I found that the things that negatively affect my level of satiety are salt (huge appetite stimulant), added sugars (ditto), and oils and fatty foods. When I was eating those things, I would often feel hungry, even though I was putting more calories in my body than it actually needed. Once I eliminated all of them from my diet, my body (and brain) just calmed right down and became much more happy and content.

VERY intriguing!

I am surprised that you include oils in your list of appetite stimulants. Many years ago I had to do a very restrictive, low-sugar diet because of an infection I was battling. No carbs, no sugar, and only certain fruits. It was really hard. I ate almost entirely just meat and veg. I found myself shaky-hungry a lot until someone gave me the advice to increase my healthy fats, mostly olive oil. So now I wonder if oils coupled with salt are appetite stimulants? Or some oils and not others? OR perhaps what I was experienced was directly correlated to my particular health at the time and what I was fighting and the meds I was taking (Diflucan)?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

VERY intriguing!

I am surprised that you include oils in your list of appetite stimulants. Many years ago I had to do a very restrictive, low-sugar diet because of an infection I was battling. No carbs, no sugar, and only certain fruits. It was really hard. I ate almost entirely just meat and veg. I found myself shaky-hungry a lot until someone gave me the advice to increase my healthy fats, mostly olive oil. So now I wonder if oils coupled with salt are appetite stimulants? Or some oils and not others? OR perhaps what I was experienced was directly correlated to my particular health at the time and what I was fighting and the meds I was taking (Diflucan)?

I'm glad the diet was only temporary. That sounds very difficult!

Nuts, seeds, and avocado are the healthy fats that I eat. I like that they have much lower caloric density than oils, and are high in nutrients. Added bonus is that both dh and I were able to easily drop the excess pounds that had been hanging on for years as soon as we cut out oils (50+ lbs. each).

• Like 1

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, soybeans, banana, blueberries, apple, Asian pear, dragon fruit, passion fruit, kiwi, guava, orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, almonds, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Sandwich with Ezekiel bread, tofu, cucumber, carrot, scallions, shredded Brussels sprouts, radishes, cashew mayo, mustard, sriracha. Two mandarins.

Dinner - Odds and ends from the fridge and freezer. Lentils, wild mushrooms, and collard greens topped with a few scoops of Creamy Southwestern Soup (that I thawed from the freezer - Monkey & Me recipe) and roasted delicata squash, broccoli, and avocado. It was a good combo! Also had an artichoke.

• Like 2

Saturday 

92 rainbow 🌈 

snack- bone broth 

Hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2