Menu

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ November 2022 Frugalistas ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mommyoffive

Everyone wish us luck, please. Our thermostat has died and the house is starting to cool off. We're going to try to fix or replace it ourselves because it's $250 just to get someone to show up, and it takes a few days to get anyone here.

I'm hella sick of having to do our own electrical, plumbing and HVAC because we flat out can't get people here. It's one thing to choose to DIY, it's another to have it forced upon you. 

• Sad 5

3 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Everyone wish us luck, please. Our thermostat has died and the house is starting to cool off. We're going to try to fix or replace it ourselves because it's $250 just to get someone to show up, and it takes a few days to get anyone here.

I'm hella sick of having to do our own electrical, plumbing and HVAC because we flat out can't get people here. It's one thing to choose to DIY, it's another to have it forced upon you. 

Good luck.  I have no clue how easy or hard that is to do.  

Walmart Deal

Black Friday Deal

Instant Pot Duo 6-Quart 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker, Warmer & Sterilizer, Includes App With Over 800 Recipes, Stainless Steel

Now $50.00
was $79.99
Edited by mommyoffive
  • Thanks 1

I think I'm going to donate one of the hams in the freezer to the food bank.  We have 2 hams, both 8-10 lbs, and only the 3 of us. That's a lot of ham for 3 people who only kinda-sorta like ham. 

They also need egg cartons and I have a bunch of them that I was going to toss. Maybe I'll re-clean the pantry and round up all the stuff that we're not likely to eat but got for free and kept "just in case". 

• Like 3

I think I'm going to nix the stockings this year for Christmas. I am thinking of doing this punch game instead of stockings. I hate stocking stuffers - this way I don't have to FILL up the stockings, I can just put a candy bar in a few of them, some cash in one, etc.     https://www.facebook.com/reel/1377159246423712/?s=single_unit

• Like 2

3 hours ago, historically accurate said:

I think I'm going to nix the stockings this year for Christmas. I am thinking of doing this punch game instead of stockings. I hate stocking stuffers - this way I don't have to FILL up the stockings, I can just put a candy bar in a few of them, some cash in one, etc.     https://www.facebook.com/reel/1377159246423712/?s=single_unit

We’ve thought about doing something like this too…we need to have a family vote on a few ideas we have been floating around.  

• Like 1

I started putting a can of Pringles in each stocking a few years ago (thanks, Hive!). It takes up most of the space and everyone loves it. I think my kids would be very upset if I stopped the tradition!

I start looking out for cheap Pringles (or Pringles knock-offs, my family is fine with that) about now.

Emily

• Like 5

Our stockings are usually the same-ish each year with minor variations.  Most importantly, though, they usually have some sort of snack in them.  The kids know they can have their stockings before anyone else comes down the stairs, so it's an easy way to get some sort of substance into ds12 while he waits for breakfast to be made.

• Like 1

Yesterday our only toilet started leaking badly. Dh stopped at lowes and got a wax ring on his way home. He started working on it at 7 after everyone used it.  We ran up to in-laws to use bathroom before bed. At 11 he came down and said he needed to go to Walmart (40 minutes one way). I went to sleep on the couch.  At 1 he decided he had to get a whole new toilet so was back up at 5 to drive an hour to a lowes to buy a toilet when they opened at 6. He said the looks on the people’s faces 😆
He got home about 7:30 am. By then me and the kids made a trip in town to use the bathrooms at McDonald’s 🙄😆. He got it installed and then went to work. He so slap happy I’ve been getting goofy texts all day!

I didn’t even ask how much it cost.

Dd15 said thanksgivings are going to be so strange for their spouses…

Edited by saraha
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, saraha said:

Yesterday our only toilet started leaking badly. Dh stopped at lowes and got a wax ring on his way home. He started working on it at 7 after everyone used it.  We ran up to in-laws to use bathroom before bed. At 11 he came down and said he needed to go to Walmart (40 minutes one way). I went to sleep on the couch.  At 1 he decided he had to get a whole new toilet so was back up at 5 to drive an hour to a lowes to buy a toilet when they opened at 6. He said the looks on the people’s faces 😆
He got home about 7:30 am. By then me and the kids made a trip in town to use the bathrooms at McDonald’s 🙄😆. He got it installed and then went to work. He so slap happy I’ve been getting goofy texts all day!

We’ve done the 6am toilet thing before. You can do the whole thing: new toilet, new ring, new supply line for under $200 if you need to. Even the nice toilets are under $300 for everything. Still cheaper than a plumber call here, and the toilets they carry are way more expensive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We’ve done the 6am toilet thing before. You can do the whole thing: new toilet, new ring, new supply line for under $200 if you need to. Even the nice toilets are under $300 for everything. Still cheaper than a plumber call here, and the toilets they carry are way more expensive. 

I am so lucky to have a husband who just needs to watch a YouTube video or 3 and then can do anything. He is waxing poetically about the downfall of the American mall over text right now. He must be so tired. 😆😆😆

• Like 3

Score a FREE Amazon credit! 

Through December 31st or while supplies last, hurry over to the Amazon where select Prime Members can score a FREE $10 Amazon Credit when you add Venmo as a payment option at Amazon.

Hip Tip: You may have also received an email about this offer! Check your inbox/trash/spam folder for an email with the Subject Line “Up to a $10 Amazon credit for eligible Prime members who add Venmo to Amazon” from the email address venmo@email.venmo.com.

All you have to do is head here, click “Add Venmo”, and then follow the prompts to sign into your Venmo account and allow it to connect to your Amazon account. Once you’ve connected your Venmo, eligible Prime members will get a message that a free $10 credit has been added to your Amazon account. When you see the message, you’ll know that you have earned a FREE $10 Amazon credit.

Score FREE $10 Amazon Credit - Just Add Venmo to Your Amazon Account! (hip2save.com)

Oldest DD first heard about my grocery plan for the month.  She uses lactose free milk that no one else uses and even then it's only sporadic so I don't regularly have it on hand and she just lets me know when she is in the mood for some.  She of course was in the mood but when I told her my plan she asked me how much it was and handed me $6 so I could get her a gallon.  (She is an adult and works 30+ hours a week.  She is also in school full time but lives at home rent free and her tuition is fully covered by grants and scholarships.  We cover her living expenses 100%.  In other words she has plenty of disposable income so I didn't feel the least bit bad about letting her buy her own milk).

So with my budget now at $98 for the month, I spent $15.  $83 left to go (I do have a bunch of change if I really need to scrounge but I'm not ready to put that much effort into it yet).  

I have fully stuck to the menu plan I made.  This is already been a good plan since it forced me to take stock of what we have and I was able to rescue some things that in another day or two would have been goners.  

I started sprouts Sunday night since I knew veggies were going to be a bit harder.  Three kids noticed the jar on the counter and we actively excited to see them growing again (I tend to slack off over the summer since we get plenty of fresh veggies from the garden).  Snuck some parsnips into last nights meal (Bierocks) and then a small squash into tonight's (Bacon and Kale Skillet with lots of kale from the garden).  Tomorrow is planned to be chicken cacciatore which will let me hide some of the eggplant in.  Then Thursday or Friday (depending on when the sprouts are ready) we will have wraps with the extra chicken and sprouts and I think I still have a couple of peppers in the fridge, a shredded carrot and some onions).

Was trying to figure out a new variation of stuffed peppers since the hamburger is now gone (unless I find some hiding when I clean out the freezers this weekend).  I have lots of italian sausage so I think I'm going to do italian sausage with Isareali couscous and mozzarella and asiago cheese for a pizza flair. I have about 80 peppers in the freezer ready for stuffing so this will also help me make space in the freezer.

My beef went in to the butcher today.  They said it will be ready in two weeks.  So I have two weeks to eat down the freezer plus Ruby's Pantry is next week (which always involves something going in the freezer), so even if I wasn't trying not to spend money on groceries, I would have had to put a hold on most things anyways so we can eat down the freezers a bit more because right now there is nowhere near enough space.  

I'll be canning french onion soup as soon as I get a block of time.  I still have a bit over 200 pounds of onions from my last produce auction run.  We love french onion soup and it's so nice to just be able to crack open a jar.  Just got to clear the time to get it done.  

Still haven't turned the heat on yet so that will help that budget account too.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, saraha said:

Oh your poor DH!  I'm glad he got it working and hopefully he can go to bed early tonight.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Oldest DD first heard about my grocery plan for the month.  She uses lactose free milk that no one else uses and even then it's only sporadic so I don't regularly have it on hand and she just lets me know when she is in the mood for some.  She of course was in the mood but when I told her my plan she asked me how much it was and handed me $6 so I could get her a gallon.  (She is an adult and works 30+ hours a week.  She is also in school full time but lives at home rent free and her tuition is fully covered by grants and scholarships.  We cover her living expenses 100%.  In other words she has plenty of disposable income so I didn't feel the least bit bad about letting her buy her own milk).

So with my budget now at $98 for the month, I spent $15.  $83 left to go (I do have a bunch of change if I really need to scrounge but I'm not ready to put that much effort into it yet).  

I have fully stuck to the menu plan I made.  This is already been a good plan since it forced me to take stock of what we have and I was able to rescue some things that in another day or two would have been goners.  

I started sprouts Sunday night since I knew veggies were going to be a bit harder.  Three kids noticed the jar on the counter and we actively excited to see them growing again (I tend to slack off over the summer since we get plenty of fresh veggies from the garden).  Snuck some parsnips into last nights meal (Bierocks) and then a small squash into tonight's (Bacon and Kale Skillet with lots of kale from the garden).  Tomorrow is planned to be chicken cacciatore which will let me hide some of the eggplant in.  Then Thursday or Friday (depending on when the sprouts are ready) we will have wraps with the extra chicken and sprouts and I think I still have a couple of peppers in the fridge, a shredded carrot and some onions).

Was trying to figure out a new variation of stuffed peppers since the hamburger is now gone (unless I find some hiding when I clean out the freezers this weekend).  I have lots of italian sausage so I think I'm going to do italian sausage with Isareali couscous and mozzarella and asiago cheese for a pizza flair. I have about 80 peppers in the freezer ready for stuffing so this will also help me make space in the freezer.

My beef went in to the butcher today.  They said it will be ready in two weeks.  So I have two weeks to eat down the freezer plus Ruby's Pantry is next week (which always involves something going in the freezer), so even if I wasn't trying not to spend money on groceries, I would have had to put a hold on most things anyways so we can eat down the freezers a bit more because right now there is nowhere near enough space.  

I'll be canning french onion soup as soon as I get a block of time.  I still have a bit over 200 pounds of onions from my last produce auction run.  We love french onion soup and it's so nice to just be able to crack open a jar.  Just got to clear the time to get it done.  

Still haven't turned the heat on yet so that will help that budget account too.

Wow.  Do you have some other heat source?

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Wow.  Do you have some other heat source?

No but thus far it hasn't gotten that cold yet.  We had one morning that it 63 when we woke up but otherwise it's always been in the upper 60s to low 70s.  Right now it's sitting at 69 and with the exception of me, everyone else is perfectly comfy with their short sleeves.  But we do have a huge front window with southern exposure so if there is any sun out, the main areas (living room, kitchen and dining room are all open to each other) can easily get into the mid 70s even with freezing temps.  

If it regularly dips below 67-68 I'll turn the heat on for the season but we just haven't needed it yet.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

No but thus far it hasn't gotten that cold yet.  We had one morning that it 63 when we woke up but otherwise it's always been in the upper 60s to low 70s.  Right now it's sitting at 69 and with the exception of me, everyone else is perfectly comfy with their short sleeves.  But we do have a huge front window with southern exposure so if there is any sun out, the main areas (living room, kitchen and dining room are all open to each other) can easily get into the mid 70s even with freezing temps.  

If it regularly dips below 67-68 I'll turn the heat on for the season but we just haven't needed it yet.  

That is awesome.     I guess I have a cold house.  I know we had our heat on in Oct.  And we have had it on this week too.  Currently set to 65 and it hasn't gotten hotter than that inside today

Ds8 has been really up and down lately.  The oncologist has had us take him in to the ER twice in the last week and a half, once here and once into the city.  The good news is that his weird new symptoms are not caused by tumor growth.  But lots of driving around for medical stuff, buying food when we’re going back and forth, and frankly just not caring about money stuff when we are worrying about ds.  Like when dh bought ds a new Nintendo game the other day so ds would have something interesting to do at the hospital all day.  Our budget for the month is pretty much shot.

I did make and freeze a quadruple batch of chipotle beef burritos last week, which have already been helpful.  I also was given a large box of free pears from the church orchard (apparently they had so many ripen at once they couldn’t process or ship them all before they were getting too soft).  I was going to dehydrate and make fruit leather, but my dehydrator has died.  So I dug out the canning supplies I haven’t used in 4 or 5 years and canned pears, plus made pear sauce and pear crisp.  We just have a layer of tiny ones left in the bottom of the box to eat still.  And I made vanilla extract for Christmas gifts before that.  I love watching the color creep up from the bottom of the bottles.  Those are done except for time and maybe adding a ribbon to them.

• Sad 5

5 hours ago, Condessa said:

Ds8 has been really up and down lately.  The oncologist has had us take him in to the ER twice in the last week and a half, once here and once into the city.  The good news is that his weird new symptoms are not caused by tumor growth.  But lots of driving around for medical stuff, buying food when we’re going back and forth, and frankly just not caring about money stuff when we are worrying about ds.  Like when dh bought ds a new Nintendo game the other day so ds would have something interesting to do at the hospital all day.  Our budget for the month is pretty much shot.

I did make and freeze a quadruple batch of chipotle beef burritos last week, which have already been helpful.  I also was given a large box of free pears from the church orchard (apparently they had so many ripen at once they couldn’t process or ship them all before they were getting too soft).  I was going to dehydrate and make fruit leather, but my dehydrator has died.  So I dug out the canning supplies I haven’t used in 4 or 5 years and canned pears, plus made pear sauce and pear crisp.  We just have a layer of tiny ones left in the bottom of the box to eat still.  And I made vanilla extract for Christmas gifts before that.  I love watching the color creep up from the bottom of the bottles.  Those are done except for time and maybe adding a ribbon to them.

Sending some hugs and good thoughts to your ds.  I am so glad it isn't because of tumor growth.  I hope he feels better soon.  

• Like 2

from hip2save

Be sure to check your e-mail or the Target app as Target has been sending out a variety of Target Circle Bonus Offers which are valid through November 28th! The easiest way to find these offers is to head to the Target app, click on My Target and then click Circle. If you have the bonus offer, it will be shown there.

Some have reported a $20 Reward when you spend $70 three times or a $40 Reward when you spend $100+ four times so be sure to check!

Plus, your purchase qualifies before other Circle offers and coupons are applied

Morning started good, got the hanging weight on the beef and it is a smaller one this year (which is actually okay because a half is a bit much for the year but 1/4 is no where near enough).  He did raise the price 50 cents a pound (which I was actually glad for because he has been charging me the same price since 2017 and he already told me my 1/2 pig would be the same price, I know his costs have gone up and I sure don't want him going out of business).  So I was feeling really good because I know that even with the processing fees (that I won't know for 2 weeks when it ready to be picked up) that it will come in under what I have in the account so it gives me a bit more room for spending on groceries.

Then I went outside to work on this last nice day and had the dogs out with me.  Two of them got into it and now one has a nickel size chunk missing from her thigh.  Sent a picture to my rescue coordinator because I didn't know how to assess how serious it was.  She sent it to the vet who said, yep needs stitches but at least they could do it in the office versus sending her for emergency care.  Thankfully it's not bleeding much and I have a cone that I could put on her to tide things over till our appointment in a little while.  So I'm sure a good chunk of what I thought was extra is likely getting spent today.  My pet fund was just getting a positive balance back after all the ER visits this spring.

Does anyone have pet insurance or at least recommendations on good ones? I've looked several times and I always get overwhelmed with the choices and never get started.  I'm starting to think it might be a good idea with this group.

• Sad 3

20 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Just bought a new couch. Yay.   Got a great deal on it.

Dropped a bunch of stuff to donations. 

Have another car load ready to go.

Returned snow boots for 2 kids.  One didn't fit.  The other fit when I got them, and now don't.  Growing teens.

And this is why I hate clothes shopping so much.  It's like laundry and dishes, even if you think you have everything done, in a matter of seconds you won't be.

Congratulations on finding a good deal on the couch. Hope it's nice and comfy.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 3:37 AM, Condessa said:

Sorry to hear of all the troubles you are having with DS.  Hope things turn around soon for him.

Sounds you like have been very busy getting all that food put up.  I have several bottles of vanilla brewing too.  I've always heard for best flavor to let them sit a year so mine are tucked away till next spring.  For more immediate use, I just made a half gallon of vanilla paste and have been using that in the baked goods.  It's quite good!  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

And this is why I hate clothes shopping so much.  It's like laundry and dishes, even if you think you have everything done, in a matter of seconds you won't be.

Congratulations on finding a good deal on the couch. Hope it's nice and comfy.

YES!!!   I can't ever get on top of clothes and shoes because the kids just keep growing and needing new things.  I feel like it was easier when they were little only because I kind of knew what size they would be.  Oh buy size 4 for next year and have it all stocked up.  DS I have no idea what size he is going to be and when he is going to grow.  He was in a size 9 shoe in the start of summer that he had just moved up a size to. I need to get him a size 12 maybe for boots and hope they last the season? He is just blowing through sizes.  New ballet shoes 2 months in a row because he grew.  It is never ending here with all of them.  Someone always needs something.  Doesn't help we have 4 seasons.  Is it easier if you live in Florid?

• Like 1

Last year when DD put up the Christmas tree the lights didn't work.  It's a fiber optic tree with a single bulb at the bottom.  I replaced the bulb with the spare in the box and it still didn't work.  There was quite a bit of dust on the fan and around the bulb (it's halogen).  I tried to clean it but to no avail but since that all happened the same week where I got 5 foster puppies who suffered intestinal distress from transport and my builder let me know that they wanted to start on the sunroom 5 days later (we dismantled the entire old deck although we had zero experience with any of that type of work). I just let it be and we had no lights on the tree for Christmas.  I tried looking after Christmas for a new tree but just couldn't find anything I liked.

So in trying to get ahead of the tree buying period, I have been looking at trees for several weeks already but I just love the unique look of the fiber optic strands all lit up and everything else just seemed meh to me.  I couldn't find any fiber optic trees over 4 feet and I wanted at least 6 preferably 7 feet tall.  So I pulled out the base and looked at it again.  Really couldn't see anything wrong and it was running just no light.  At some point a faint memory crept in, of me changing the bulb and sticking the old one in the box and tucking the box back into the case because the information about type/size of bulb was printed on the box and I didn't want to forget what I needed.  So with that thought. I went out a bought a new bulb.  Sure enough it worked!  So I spent $8 on a light bulb instead of hundreds on a tree.  And the new bulb is LED so I no longer having to worry about keeping everything away from the base because it got so warm.  

Vet visit was expensive but about the amount I expected and still so much less than an emergency visit.  3 stitches and 12 days of cone wearing so she doesn't lick it until the stitches come out.  Problem is dog who did the biting and dog we got bit are at fierce odds with each now and I can't even leave them where they can see each other or they both go into attack mode.  

Didn't get yesterday's planned meal made because after sitting with the dog all day to keep her from licking it until we could see the vet and then coming home, I just didn't feel like cooking but since I had been so good about follow it earlier in the week, there was plenty of leftovers to go around.  Sprouts from Sunday we ready and they got demolished.  Rinsed the jar and started another batch.  I much prefer paying a few cents for seeds than the $2.00 a container from the grocery store.

Even with the vet visit, I think I still have a little wiggle room in the budget but I'm going to try to stick to the original goal just because it forces me to use stuff from home.  But I'm also going to try to set a goal of using/emptying 50 items from the freezer by November 22 since I need all the space I can get for the beef that will be ready that day. So on that note, I pulled out 3 packages of organ meats and sliced them up and put them in the dehydrator for dog treats. And I pulled out a package of frozen bread balls that I got from Ruby's Pantry and made a batch of Monkey bread (bonus points is it also used up 2 packages of seriously old butterscotch pudding and some cherries where the jars had gotten spilled on and were super sticky).  So 46 items left to go.

• Like 4

We have started a huge house reshuffle so that we can replace our worn out carpet upstairs with hardwoods. We are on day two of tear out and hope we only have three more days of tear out between the remaining rooms. The staple pullout is time consuming. 

As my daughter said at lunch, “Friend is on a cruise in Mexico for the long weekend. And then there’s us.” 😂🤣🤦

We had hoped to do this five years ago but other projects got pushed ahead for a while. The carpet has worn spots though, so it’s well past time to do this. 

We have the tools for the install and should be able to order the cork underlayment and hardwoods soon. In the meantime, we are living with the plywood subfloor.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We have started a huge house reshuffle so that we can replace our worn out carpet upstairs with hardwoods. We are on day two of tear out and hope we only have three more days of tear out between the remaining rooms. The staple pullout is time consuming. 

As my daughter said at lunch, “Friend is on a cruise in Mexico for the long weekend. And then there’s us.” 😂🤣🤦

We had hoped to do this five years ago but other projects got pushed ahead for a while. The carpet has worn spots though, so it’s well past time to do this. 

We have the tools for the install and should be able to order the cork underlayment and hardwoods soon. In the meantime, we are living with the plywood subfloor.

I don't remember the name of this tool but we found that pointy corner invaluable for lifting the staples out of the floor. It didn't remove them all the way but got them out enough that it was super easy to use a pliers and a gentle tug to finish the job. It's still a big job but this made it a bit easier for us when we redid the carpeting in the whole house.

IMG_20221111_191758829.jpg

• Like 2

We've had a week of cheap/nearly free dinners. 

Ham: free

Hashbrowns: 30 cents

2 loaves of French bread: 25 cents

Butter chicken soup: free

I added in frozen veggies, cheese, corn bread, and macaroni & cheese to round out meals. 

I made ham, hashbrown, and cheese casserole, split pea and ham soup, and pulled a chicken from the freezer to roast. The casserole made 9 portions, as did the split pea soup. I also pulled some brown bananas out of the freezer and made banana bread for breakfast. We still have plenty of split pea soup and left-over chicken. 

It feels like a dark cloud is following me lately.  Our water heater died, then the replacement we bought was deemed defective by the manufacturer. Water heater #3 seems to be working correctly *knock wood* The hardware store took back the defective tank without too much drama, thankfully.

A rock hit my windshield and put a chip in it. $168 later, it's repaired. 😞

I ordered a replacement cell phone from my carrier, (my old phone is 7 years old and acting weird), but the shipment has been stuck on "delayed" with fedex with no eta for delivery. Fedex tells me to contact the merchant. The Merchant says talk to Fedex. Grrrr...I'm going to have to call the bank to get the charge reversed.  At this point, I no longer even want the phone because the merchant was so apathetic about solving the problem.   They did give me a $50 credit toward my next bill, which is...ok, whatever. But I'm still out $220 for the phone until this stupid problem is resolved. 

And then a totally different merchant lost my item. I had to contact them twice to get a replacement shipped. 

What the heck?! 

• Sad 3

10 hours ago, MissLemon said:

We've had a week of cheap/nearly free dinners. 

Ham: free

Hashbrowns: 30 cents

2 loaves of French bread: 25 cents

Butter chicken soup: free

I added in frozen veggies, cheese, corn bread, and macaroni & cheese to round out meals. 

I made ham, hashbrown, and cheese casserole, split pea and ham soup, and pulled a chicken from the freezer to roast. The casserole made 9 portions, as did the split pea soup. I also pulled some brown bananas out of the freezer and made banana bread for breakfast. We still have plenty of split pea soup and left-over chicken. 

It feels like a dark cloud is following me lately.  Our water heater died, then the replacement we bought was deemed defective by the manufacturer. Water heater #3 seems to be working correctly *knock wood* The hardware store took back the defective tank without too much drama, thankfully.

A rock hit my windshield and put a chip in it. $168 later, it's repaired. 😞

I ordered a replacement cell phone from my carrier, (my old phone is 7 years old and acting weird), but the shipment has been stuck on "delayed" with fedex with no eta for delivery. Fedex tells me to contact the merchant. The Merchant says talk to Fedex. Grrrr...I'm going to have to call the bank to get the charge reversed.  At this point, I no longer even want the phone because the merchant was so apathetic about solving the problem.   They did give me a $50 credit toward my next bill, which is...ok, whatever. But I'm still out $220 for the phone until this stupid problem is resolved. 

And then a totally different merchant lost my item. I had to contact them twice to get a replacement shipped. 

What the heck?! 

Sorry for the windshield and the phone and other item.  Yuck.  I hope you can get everything resolved, but the stress is annoying. 

Glad you got a free water heater.

We had the same casserole this week.

21 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

This is what I used to remove an entire house full of carpet staples. It was AWESOME. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VOSS-Upholstery-Carpet-Puller-Tool-Staple-Remover-Tack-Ofiice-Claw-Hand-Held-Stapler/1157569883?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101032916&&adid=222222222271157569883_101032916_144077851818_18656414371&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=631575284869&wl4=aud-1651068665186:pla-1877556483010&wl5=9032310&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=259234806&wl11=online&wl12=1157569883_101032916&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQiApb2bBhDYARIsAChHC9sCTfCkpBdVtiQjfuh-dP-zBz79s0QFyJ1r1ASdatENICdl2MQjKXsaAk_HEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

15 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Sorry for the windshield and the phone and other item.  Yuck.  I hope you can get everything resolved, but the stress is annoying. 

Glad you got a free water heater.

We had the same casserole this week.

Oh no, the water heater wasn't free. I'd be much happier if it was, lol!

Water heater #1 died.

Water heater #2: bought at the last minute, DH installed it, discovered a few hours later that it was not working. Called the manufacturer to trouble shoot and determined it was defective.

Water heater #3: bought a different brand to try again. Works great.

Then DH returned water heater #2 to the hardware store after getting documentation from the manufacturer that the tank was defective and couldn't be fixed (and really, you shouldn't have to "fix" a new item)

We actually still have water heater #1 in the garage. The junker that was supposed to pick it up flaked. 😕 

• Sad 3

8 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Oh no, the water heater wasn't free. I'd be much happier if it was, lol!

Water heater #1 died.

Water heater #2: bought at the last minute, DH installed it, discovered a few hours later that it was not working. Called the manufacturer to trouble shoot and determined it was defective.

Water heater #3: bought a different brand to try again. Works great.

Then DH returned water heater #2 to the hardware store after getting documentation from the manufacturer that the tank was defective and couldn't be fixed (and really, you shouldn't have to "fix" a new item)

We actually still have water heater #1 in the garage. The junker that was supposed to pick it up flaked. 😕 

Oh man  I am sorry.  That really stinks.  

Must look at spending for the month so far this month. We haven't really been tracking but I don't think we've been overspending. But that creeps up on you so I have to make time to check today.

I did make an unexpected $400+ with an impromptu pet sitting gig. I have another during Thanksgiving week that'll be $200+

• Like 1

Just now, hjffkj said:

I'm working on that treehouse right now, almost done. It has been a fun build. I got it a few years ago for $145

Yep.  One of my dd got the treehouse that same year.  It is so pretty.

Grocery order in.

License plate renewal for one of the cars.  Extra $75 charge because it is a hybrid! booo