Menu

Fraction help in Pre-Algebra

CTVKath

My 13DD is struggling with fractions in Pre-Algebra and I need to find a supplement to help. She is currently using Derek Owens Pre-Algebra and used CLE 1-6 before this. Typically math is no issue for her but fractions have always been a problem. I've bought several manipulatives over the years but they don't seem to help her understanding. Currently she is working with variables and solving for X. If there's a fraction, she can't figure out what to do. She's also struggling to remember how to determine which of 2 fractions with different denominators is larger or smaller. 

Should I look at Khan Academy? Would a Math Mammoth fraction worktext be good? What can I use to help her with understanding fractions? Other than fractions, my DD has no issues with DO Pre-Algebra.

Thank you for any suggestions!

People on this site often recommend the 'Key to' series - there is a 'Key to Fractions' workbook that might help.  With one of my kids, we did a pass through  Life of Fred's Fractions and Decimals before starting Pre-A. I know people who have had great success with Khan videos, too - we use them for all sorts of topics but haven't used them for fractions.  Hopefully one of these will help!  

• Like 3

I would agree with the Key To series.  It might help her a lot.

We worked a lot with simple fractions and moving from oral language to written.

In English/orally: What is half of 6?  3

In math: 1/2 x 6 = 3

Another way to look at it:

(1 divided by 2) x (6 divided by 1) = .5 x 6

I think kids get hung up on not realizing that fractions are just multiplication and division.  It's just playing with numbers, and once they realize that they get it.

You also might look into Dragonbox.  It helps solidify the procedure when working with variables, especially if it wasn't clear before.

• Like 3

There are also free .pdfs out on the interwebs for practicing. There is Pizzazz Book C Fractions which is all practice manipulating fractions (with a joke at the end), more practice with fractions in Pre-Algebra with Pizzazz, Pizzazz Bridge to Algebra (or maybe that one is under Punchline Bridge to Algebra), and then there is Algebra with Pizzazz. There isn't any teaching in these books, just problem solving practice if the most basic kind, but each page is clearly grouped around a topic. I just printed a number of pages to help my dd who keeps dropping negative signs. I think she just needs some rote practice to cement the process in her head.

Edited by Miss Tick
dd vs dad
  • Like 1

"Keys To" is excellent and can be fast. I would buy the set and have her start there. Pause pre-algebra until she finishes it. And then just review and review and review. Everyday have her add, subtract, multiply, and divide fractions. Just two or three of each and throw in some mixed numbers, etc. to keep it a good solid review. Kids just plain forget all the fraction rules.  

Issues with fractions and negatives are the stumbling blocks for so many kids in algebra. 

• Like 2

On 10/14/2022 at 1:18 PM, ElizabethB said:

I like to go back and forth between decimals and fractions and money and percent.

1/10 10 cents .1 10/100 10%.

1/4 25 cents .25 25/100 25%

You can divide any fraction to get a decimal, do that too to compare for a while, long division with a few basic facts.

Well, except that doesn't work so well for things that have prime factors other than 2 and 5... unless you're willing to get into repeated decimals. 

• Like 1