Menu

Husband Flying Tomorrow

Slache

Yes, plan more time into everything, and go to the airport a tad earlier than you would have otherwise.

DH flies quite a bit, and that’s the main change. There really are more delays and things seem to take longer.

No idea where you are on masking — my DH is often the Lone Masker on flights, but FWIW he’s never caught Covid. He did find that if he clears his throat and needs to cough (in his mask) a bit at the start of the flight, his seat mates are more likely to mask as well. He doesn’t do it intentionally, but did have a med that was making him cough and made that little discovery. Oops! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

Now that masks have become something not uncommon, I’d mask for a flight - mostly because of the crowds going through the airports. Flu season is nearly here and that’s something to want to avoid, even if you’re unconcerned about covid. Could take the mask off once seated, if it feels comfortable to do so. 

• Like 1

Be sure he's given his phone number for text updates or pay attention. I've had gate changes recently. Have proper airline accepted ID as well as your ticket, checking baggage has become self done at kiosk and then giving luggage to the desk person, someone is there to help, different airports have different rules for going through the check point, shoes, liquids, computers etc. Give yourself plenty of time, at least two hours, find your gate then get a coffee and relax. 

• Like 1

Also different airlines have different entertainment. Some you have to get on the phone app or the website and use your own phone and earphones, others still have screens but you may have to buy earphones from the flight attendant if yours don't fit. He might want to download something from home ahead of time. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Starr said:

Be sure he's given his phone number for text updates or pay attention. I've had gate changes recently. Have proper airline accepted ID as well as your ticket, checking baggage has become self done at kiosk and then giving luggage to the desk person, someone is there to help, different airports have different rules for going through the check point, shoes, liquids, computers etc. Give yourself plenty of time, at least two hours, find your gate then get a coffee and relax. 

All this! I 100% agree on text alerts, as well as having the airline's app installed on your phone.  We also had gate changes and a local alert about security delays at one airport that could cause security to take up to 3 hrs that came via text and alerts in the airline app.  (Luckily we had pre check so we didn't have to wait in the security line that was the longest I've ever seen by far!). 

Also if there is any chance of wanting to purchase a snack or alcoholic beverage on the flight, check how your airline handles it. United, for example, is only accepting payment thru their app for in flight purchases. 

16 minutes ago, kirstenhill said:

All this! I 100% agree on text alerts, as well as having the airline's app installed on your phone.  We also had gate changes and a local alert about security delays at one airport that could cause security to take up to 3 hrs that came via text and alerts in the airline app.  (Luckily we had pre check so we didn't have to wait in the security line that was the longest I've ever seen by far!). 

Also if there is any chance of wanting to purchase a snack or alcoholic beverage on the flight, check how your airline handles it. United, for example, is only accepting payment thru their app for in flight purchases. 

Yep!  The apps are so helpful.

We’ve flown United, not American, but American may be similar. 

I found the United app to be incredibly helpful. It has tickets, boarding passes, boarding group number, flight status, departure gate, arrival gate, baggage claim carrousel, airport maps, etc. It also opened up lots more in-flight entertainment (movies, shows, games).

Bring you own *wired* headphones for entertainment.

Don’t expect much in-flight snacks. Beverage service is about the same, but we now get one tiny bag of pretzels or a tiny pre-packaged cookie on a flight.

Carry-on and “personal item” quantities and dimensions may have also changed since you last flew. Depending on our type of ticket, sometimes we get only a single small personal item and no carry-on. Sometimes we pay more so we can get both a personal item and full size carry-on. The official dimensions for both a personal item and a carry-on are much smaller (and weirder) than they used to be. Old suitcases that we used to use as carry-ons are now too large and need to be checked. Even when our carry-ons are the right size, if we are in a late boarding group, we often have to gate-check our carry-ons. Gate-checked bags are also usually (but not always!) now picked up at baggage claim, and not at the arrival gate. Keep all essentials (meds, important paperwork, computer, etc. in a personal item, not a carry-on)

Airport food is more expensive than ever. There are also unattended. self-serve kiosks that sell all the usual stuff. These unattended kiosks were super helpful last year when my daughter and I had to spend the night in the airport. 

Every airport has slightly different rules for how you place things when going through security, so pay attention. Some airports you have to take laptops out of bags. Other airports tell you to keep laptops in bags. Some airports tell you to put all bags (even large ones) in bins. Other airports tell you to only put certain bags in bins. I haven’t seen people pulling out quart size baggies of liquids, so I don’t know if that is a thing anymore or not. 

• Like 1

You can also plug in your arrival gate and departure gate in the map portion of the app and it will give you directions and a time estimate.  My DD20 recently had a short layover (and it kept getting shorter because her plane took off late) at an airport she had never been too.  The directions from one gate to another were so helpful.  She was even able to determine whether or not she had time to use the restroom LOL  At least American and United both have this feature.  Checking in via the app and having your boarding pass right on your phone saves some time, especially in an airport where the check-in area is a significant distance from TSA.

• Like 1

Some airports are busier than ever with a lot of people taking trips they have been delaying for a couple of years.  At the same time, employment within airporst has not returned to pre-pandemic levels.  Lines can be long.  I would pack food and snacks if he has any layovers or quick connections.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Spryte said:

No idea where you are on masking — my DH is often the Lone Masker on flights, but FWIW he’s never caught Covid. He did find that if he clears his throat and needs to cough (in his mask) a bit at the start of the flight, his seat mates are more likely to mask as well. He doesn’t do it intentionally, but did have a med that was making him cough and made that little discovery. Oops! 

This is absolutely brilliant! Thanks so much on behalf of my entire family of Lone Maskers 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Acadie said:

This is absolutely brilliant! Thanks so much on behalf of my entire family of Lone Maskers 😂

I wish I’d seen this earlier, but another tip for people trying to avoid Covid is that if you need to remove your mask to drink or something on a long flight, just do not do it at all until you are at cruising altitude. Or at least above 10,000 feet. The filters are not running while the plane is on the ground, and the CO2 readings during that time are shockingly high. All the CO2 readings I’ve seen within airports are much, much better than on the plane while it’s sitting on the tarmac. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Flight aware, both the app and website, can be useful. Sometimes flight info has been updated there before I've been notified. I also like that I can find out where my airplane is coming from to see if my flight will be late or changed completely.

Not helpful for the op, but I also use it when I'm picking someone up and waiting in the cell phone lot. I can see where the arrival plane is while it's in the air and when it's landed. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tree Frog said:

Flight aware, both the app and website, can be useful. Sometimes flight info has been updated there before I've been notified. I also like that I can find out where my airplane is coming from to see if my flight will be late or changed completely.

Not helpful for the op, but I also use it when I'm picking someone up and waiting in the cell phone lot. I can see where the arrival plane is while it's in the air and when it's landed. 

DH has had me rebooked on another flight before the flight delay was even announced to the passengers (including myself) on the actual airplane. He has some mad flight tracking skills!

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

DH has had me rebooked on another flight before the flight delay was even announced to the passengers (including myself) on the actual airplane. He has some mad flight tracking skills!

Does he use Flight Aware or a different tracking site? How does he rebook? I watch and try to be ready, but I've never successfully rebooked myself or dh. 

13 hours ago, Tree Frog said:

Does he use Flight Aware or a different tracking site? How does he rebook? I watch and try to be ready, but I've never successfully rebooked myself or dh. 

He uses Flight Aware, but the rebooking would be done through the airline. Luckily it doesn't happen often! I think he had to call and talk to a customer service person in order to change that flight. It was amazing. More often he just gives me a heads up that there will be a weather-related delay so I can be prepared.

• Like 1