Menu

Why does my tooth hurt after a filling?

Kanin

So I finally braved the dentist, and got my first filling! Yahoo, go me. It wasn't bad at all. The dentist and her assistant were amazingly coordinated... I was so impressed.

But now, my tooth/jaw hurts! I got the filling on Monday afternoon, and it started to hurt probably on Wednesday, and it still hurts! There's just a general sore feeling in my tooth/jaw, and it hurts a little to bite down on the tooth. It was a filling on the gum line. 

I'm bummed b/c the cavity never hurt, but now that it's fixed, it's hurting. I'm hoping this is in the realm of normal... I don't want to go back to the dentist! Can someone reassure me?

Paging @Amethyst!

Edited by Kanin

Good job for going in! Typically when I have had that happen, it’s because there’s a high point where my teeth are touching where they didn’t use to and that’s causing pain down into my jaw. I usually go in and they do a super quick  adjustment (no numbing or pain involved) to take that high spot down and then the pain goes away. I tend to think I’m probably doing some clenching or grinding at night and it hits on that high spot and causes me that soreness.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, KSera said:

Good job for going in! Typically when I have had that happen, it’s because there’s a high point where my teeth are touching where they didn’t use to and that’s causing pain down into my jaw. I usually go in and they do a super quick  adjustment (no numbing or pain involved) to take that high spot down and then the pain goes away. I tend to think I’m probably doing some clenching or grinding at night and it hits on that high spot and causes me that soreness.

That makes sense... But it was a gum line filling.... Nothing on top of the tooth. Drat!

5 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Call Monday and have them look at it. I had a filing a few years ago that started to hurt a bit a few days later then stopped.  But about 2 days later and of course once the office had closed for the day it was like I had been punched.  I ended up with a root canal. 

Gah!! That better not happen!!!

When I had a filling along the gumline, my dentist warned me that it might be quite sensitive for a while. Maybe that’s what’s going on? 

One other possibility — the filling didn’t fall out or crack, did it? That can HURT.

If it’s still bothering you on Monday, I think you should call the dentist. 

• Like 2

Hi Kanin! Good for you for braving the dentist! I’m glad you had a positive experience while there. 

Others have given one of the most common reasons for pain after a filling (high spot), but since yours was by the gumline it is most likely something else. 

Whenever your tooth is drilled on, the pulp (where the nerve and blood supply is) gets a little bit irritated. That’s because the dentin (the layer under the enamel) is directly connected to the pulp. It’s normal that the nerve would say “hey what’s going on up there?? Inflammation cells, do your thing!!” So the pulp becomes inflamed. Most of the time, that’s no biggie. Things get inflamed all the time…stub your toe, scratch yourself…but then the inflammation goes away. Hopefully that’s what’s going on with you…a few days of discomfort, maybe sensitivity to cold things…and then you’re good as new. But sometimes, the inflammation is irreversible. Why? Lots of different reasons. Could be that the decay was really close to the nerve. Could be the dentist needed to drill close to the nerve in order to shape the cavity so it could hold onto the filling. Could be…reasons we don’t yet understand. I’ve seen some people react badly to minor fillings, and other people have no problem after a really deep cavity. But let’s stay optimistic and assume this will go away with time. I don’t know your particular situation so I can’t give specific advice, but things to watch out for: pain to hot things, pain that wakes you up at night, pain that gets worse in time instead of better. 

Regarding the jaw pain, again, it could be a couple things. Having your mouth open for a long time works muscles that are not used to being used like that and so the muscles ache. Should be fine in a few days if that’s the problem. Also, sometimes an injection is given into an area where you can have lingering discomfort for a few days. Again, that should go away soon if that’s what’s causing it. 

Pain where you find it impossible to bite down  because it hurts so bad, is not a good sign. So if that develops or you develop swelling, contact your dentist. 

Once again, congrats for going to the dentist! I know it can be a hard fear to overcome!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

One other possibility — the filling didn’t fall out or crack, did it? That can HURT.

It definitely didn’t fall out... I can’t see a crack but maybe it’s a hairline crack that I can’t see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amethyst said:

Hi Kanin! Good for you for braving the dentist! I’m glad you had a positive experience while there. 

Thank you! I felt pretty empowered afterwards. 

Whenever your tooth is drilled on, the pulp (where the nerve and blood supply is) gets a little bit irritated. That’s because the dentin (the layer under the enamel) is directly connected to the pulp. It’s normal that the nerve would say “hey what’s going on up there?? Inflammation cells, do your thing!!” So the pulp becomes inflamed. Most of the time, that’s no biggie. Things get inflamed all the time…stub your toe, scratch yourself…but then the inflammation goes away. Hopefully that’s what’s going on with you…a few days of discomfort, maybe sensitivity to cold things…and then you’re good as new.

Thank you for typing all that out! I really hope that’s what’s going on, too.

I don’t know your particular situation so I can’t give specific advice, but things to watch out for: pain to hot things, pain that wakes you up at night, pain that gets worse in time instead of better. 

No pain with hot things, and it’s (knock on wood) not very painful. More like a dull ache now and then.

Pain where you find it impossible to bite down  because it hurts so bad, is not a good sign. So if that develops or you develop swelling, contact your dentist. 

So far, not this... I can bite down on most things but something like a chewy bagel, for example, hurts a little when I really have to chew hard. Hopefully that’s not too terrible of a sign.

Once again, congrats for going to the dentist! I know it can be a hard fear to overcome!

Thank you!!!

• Like 1

If it was at the gum line, it could be that some of the tooth below the gum line was exposed and is sensitive.  I have a small spot in my mouth where the gum is slightly receded and it was sensitive occasionally. The dentist office had something they painted on that spot and it solved the problem. 

• Like 1