Menu

catnip . .

gardenmom5

anyone else's cat get violent about it?

He's now looking for the bag (which I put in the closet.)  I offered him some from my hand - he grabbed my hand with his claws extended to shove my palm in his face!  I can feed him treats from my hand just fine - but it's like the catnip made him violent in his desperation to get it . . . 

20220708_100927.jpg

• Like 1

Geriatric Cat used to go wild with catnip. Elderly Cat was a little afraid of him when he was on the nip. He was a mild mannered, sweet cat the rest of the time.

Elderly Cat has a much milder reaction to catnip. It's fun, she enjoys it, but just sort of playful with it. 

It's sort of like with catnip she's a soccer mom having a glass of wine after the kids are in bed, vs Geriatric Cat was a drunk at a biker bar looking to start some %&*)  

I've recently read that cats also react to valerian root. I haven't had a chance to test that out.

• Haha 5

On 7/8/2022 at 1:14 PM, gardenmom5 said:

anyone else's cat get violent about it?

He's now looking for the bag (which I put in the closet.)  I offered him some from my hand - he grabbed my hand with his claws extended to shove my palm in his face!  I can feed him treats from my hand just fine - but it's like the catnip made him violent in his desperation to get it . . . 

20220708_100927.jpg

I LOVE HIM!!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GailV said:

Geriatric Cat was a drunk at a biker bar looking to start some %&*)  

I've recently read that cats also react to valerian root. I haven't had a chance to test that out.

yeah . . . . 

I had red valerian- it spread like crazy so I ended up ripping it all out.

Yes, I had a tuxedo cat years ago who went a bit nuts with catnip. Imagine hearing a weird sound and turning around to see my cat with his nose to the holes in a ball with catnip inside, snorting as he breathed it all in.  Then making a mad dash about the house, rinse, repeat. Reminded me of a character from a movie snorting cocaine off a table.  Never again. 

On 7/9/2022 at 7:29 AM, cintinative said:

I might want to know the story behind why one is Geriatric and the other is Elderly.  😃

Sorry, not too exciting. I started using "Geriatric" because he reminded me of one of those skinny little old men who are about 100 years old, obviously failing health but still chugging along like No Big Deal. Terrible kidneys.  We thought he would die early 2020, but his beloved person (younger DD) came home for Covid lockdown and he had a sudden new lease on life. Died at 19.5 

OTOH, I kept thinking of our other cat as Our Lady of Perpetual Kittenhood until after a teeth cleaning the vet pointed out we'd have to take special care because she was so old -- age 16 -- but she seemed so YOUNG compared to the Geriatric Cat that I had forgotten she's really sort of old for a cat. Now she's starting to act like a little old woman who has to use her inhaler twice a day (yes, I spent the spring teaching a cat to use an asthma inhaler) and having trouble with jumping on things, and I say "Elderly Cat" to acknowledge that.

• Like 2