Menu

Advice for activities with grandparents?

TABmom

So, we traveled a really long way to spend the week with my parents and extended family. We had lots of activities planned- and after we got here and spent one day with cousins, one of the cousins tested positive for Covid. So everything that was planned is now cancelled. And we’re spending a week with basically just my parents. I need ideas for bonding activities.  We don’t get to see them often and they are getting older and I want to make the most of this time. But they can’t/don’t want to do much physical activity. 

Swimming. Board games. A YouTube how to paint video. Books where you can record them reading it to the kids.

I like to do something like go to the park because the parents can sit there while the children explode all over the place and the kids are tired and enjoy sitting with the parents when they get back. So pool THEN reading. Park THEN boardgames. Splash pad THEN art projects.

• Like 5

Ages matter here - but here are some of the things that work in my family:  Reading aloud.  Teach grandchildren a game:  checkers, cribbage, etc., or maybe a craft.  Stories about the elder’s growing up years - this works pretty well for kids 6-ish and up.  My parents like watching their great-grandchildren do things - whatever they love, and my grandchildren love showing off!  🙂

Cooking together might be a good option.  

Anne

My answers are mostly about food 😂

Take a picnic to a playground

Cooking together (make your own pizza night)?

Go for ice cream

do a craft (kid handprint stepping stones for grandma’s garden?)

Drive in movie?

At home movie? Show the kids an old movie your parents haven’t seen in years and your kids have never seen. Something classic that holds up. Have popcorn and movie snacks. Get your hands on a projector if possible  

scenic overlook stuff . . . something with a nice view you can mostly drive to and take family photos? 

board games/bingo/poker . . . and snacks 😁

Edited by KungFuPanda

Have your kids take your phone and do interviews. 

Let them learn to do stop motion animation together.

Create a fairy door to put on a tree. 

ETA: Also, a big bonding activity in my family is card games.  There's always a pot of coffee and a bowl of snacks, but competitively playing rummy or spoons is a good way to burn a few hours.

Edited by HomeAgain

My kids love to "interview" their grandparents. They ask questions and record them. 

Grandparents taught our language to them. If grandparents are fluent in another language or your family has roots from elsewhere, you could attempt to learn the language.

Tracing family history.

Cook together.

Watch movies

Play games

Just sit and talk

Go on walks together

Some things  we have done w our grands: 

Geocaching , play games like telestrations, pit, uno, etc.  They enjoy puzzles and we found some that have two or three different sizes of pieces so the younger kids can do the left side that has larger pieces.   Frisbee or water balloons are fun.  Many times we do things that the kids are interested in like watch You Tube videos, do a craft, make funny videos.   We always cook something, often a snack food to eat while playing games, such as puppy chow.  Parks and playgrounds are fun for a wide variety of ages. 
Minute to Win It games are so much fun- lots of ideas online.  Watching an older movie can be cool- recently watched My Girl with our teen grand girls and they loved it! It was fun for us because we had watched it with their mom when she was young. 

5 hours ago, TABmom said:

So, we traveled a really long way to spend the week with my parents and extended family. We had lots of activities planned- and after we got here and spent one day with cousins, one of the cousins tested positive for Covid. So everything that was planned is now cancelled. And we’re spending a week with basically just my parents. I need ideas for bonding activities.  We don’t get to see them often and they are getting older and I want to make the most of this time. But they can’t/don’t want to do much physical activity. 

When we go to see the grandparents, we play a LOT of games. and do puzzles together.