Menu

the itching!

ktgrok

I got stung by something on the toe day before yesterday, while doing yard work (yes, barefoot...Yes, I know that was bad). It hurt like crazy, swelled up immediately, but then stabilized. I took benedryl, and by bedtime it was better. But yesterday it started getting itchy, and now it is SO SO SO SO SO itchy! Like all I want to do is scratch. 

I'm about to take my daily Allegra dose, maybe that will help, and it is so bad now because it has worn off? Put cortisone on it last night, just wiped it with a lidocaine wipe and put more cortisone on it. any other thoughts? Should I take zyrtec instead of allegra? I usually do allegra cause zyrtec makes me more drowsy, but drowsy is better than itchy. Can't do benedryl or I will be asleep. 

Try vinegar, if that doesn’t work benadryl cream if you have it, or oral Benadryl is fine too. If you’re sensitive you could try half a tablet at a time, if you’re still itchy in 40 minutes another half tablet until you’re at a full dose. If you get a bit sleepy you took too much. Pay attention to how much it took to work, then when you need another dose take that amount or half a pill less. 

Ok, the cortizone cream seems to have kicked in, and I basically distracted myself until then. Took my normal allegra cause with DH out of commission and in isolation I can't afford to be groggy from zyrtec. Plus, It would make it harder to tell if I'm having covid symptoms. now my nose is runny a bit, but I mowed the lawn yesterday, and was late taking my allegra since I wasn't sure which I was going to take. 

When I had super itchy hives, my doctor advised taking Zyrtec plus Benadryl around the clock, plus using cortisone cream. Hugs to you! 

ETA: Sorry, just saw you can't take either. 😞 Pepcid also works as an antihistamine. I forgot my doctor had me take that too. You might consider adding it in. Won't make you drowsy.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Watch the area. If it’s red and the redness starts to spread it could be cellulitis.  

Will do. I was barefoot in the dirt when it happened, so yeah.....definitely could have gotten exposed to bacteria. And there was an open puncture where whatever it was got me. I did come inside and wash my foot right away with soap and water, and held it under running water. Mainly because if it got worse and I had to go to doctor didn't want dirty feet, lol! But in retrospect it was a good idea! I also used a lidocaine wipe that has alcohol in it on it. I've had cellulitis in my toes before, years ago, so no what to watch for. Thanks for the reminder!

6 minutes ago, MercyA said:

When I had super itchy hives, my doctor advised taking Zyrtec plus Benadryl around the clock, plus using cortisone cream. Hugs to you! 

ETA: Sorry, just saw you can't take either. 😞 Pepcid also works as an antihistamine. I forgot my doctor had me take that too. You might consider adding it in. Won't make you drowsy.

Ooh! I forgot about that! I do have pepcid in the house I think. If not, it is something I like to keep on hand, so will add it to my grocery order for today. Thank you! Right now it is okay, but I've been busy cleaning and such so that distracts me. I'll take some pepcid before bedtime for sure!

• Like 2

When I get into poison Ivy and it hits the stage where it’s insanely itchy, I blast it with hot water. I soak the area in warm water then progressively make it as hot as I can stand it and soak it as long as I can take it. It somehow overloads the histamine response and gives me a few hours relief.