Menu

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~June 2022 Frugalistas~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mommyoffive

6 hours ago, historically accurate said:

My geometry program came - they did give us the wrong key. Still need to check to make sure the discs work (teaching textbooks) although I am just going to use the book for DD. 

Y'all I've never been so happy to be a winner as I am today as my grocery budget is looking sad, sad, sad these days. I won this sweepstakes - https://sweepstakesfanatics.com/prairie-farms-dairy-drink-local-sweepstakes-limited-states/  They sent $125 in vouchers, not just the $25. And they WORK with no problems (I won some sweepstakes before that the grocery store wouldn't accept them or they were expired or whatever)! DH used one this morning. Their milk is $4.34 a gallon at Walmart, but since he spent more than $5, it took the whole $5 voucher off. Yay!! $45 to be used by the end of 2022. The rest are good until June of 2023. 

Yay for winning a contest!  

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our 80 year old neighbor gave us their riding mower that's just been sitting in their garage for years for free. New battery, spark plug and carburator later for roughly $120 and we now have a riding mower for our huge lawn. 

This weekend is fixing our deck. No idea how much the lumber cost because dh picked it up but we're saving tons on doing the work ourselves.

• Like 4

On 6/16/2022 at 3:39 PM, heartlikealion said:

Ok does this sound like a decent rate? I was quoted roughly $60/mo for auto insurance. That's the rate for people that already have renter's ins. with them. They said the current renter's ins. will go down 10% (a whopping $1.50 lol). 

How old are the cars? We have 3 for $130/m, all are old (15y+), one is liability only.

9 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Average Gas Price Falls Back Below $5 A Gallon—And Could Keep Dropping (msn.com)

Anyone seeing prices drop?  I hope this continues.  

Prices continue to rise here.  It was $4.98 at the pump nearest us, and $5.10 at both ends of Cape Cod (P-Town and the bridges).

I will be watching to see if prices drop after the weekend.

Small frugal wins here:

Accidentally stopped by a national park.  It wasn't my intention, but it was the best place for our group to take a rest.  DS12 has a NP Passport that he usually travels with, but we hadn't intended to be there so we didn't bring it.  I figured I would buy the sticker for it anyway (about $4) and forget about the stamp for now, but as luck would have it that place was too tiny to have the larger stickers.  Instead they offered a $1 sheet of 3 blank circles.  DS was thrilled. He was able to get his stamp for his book and now has 2 more blanks to keep in his daypack for other accidental trips.

We are headed to Disney this week.  I asked the boys to sort out their pins so I could see if I should buy them each one to trade in the park.  The good: I do not.  They have 2 each from previous trips that they are willing to trade. The bad: I ended up with a handful of pins that neither claimed.  I'm pretty sure I know who has what, but..it made me laugh.  Every other pin they have tells a story: Favorite ride, first pin, special experience (youngest ds did Jedi Training when he was little-little and we bought him a Star Wars pin to help remember).  The handful I have are part of a trading set, 2 pins ds got on his last trip at the very end to commemorate actually going on roller coasters, and the 2020 pin youngest ds got at the Disney Store right before they shut down.  We don't do any other souvenirs at theme parks, so the boys are usually pretty good about knowing who has what, but I think we are at saturation point. LOL

Ways we are saving money there this time:

• heavy room discount
  • discounted tickets
  • bringing our own coffee
  • collapsible water bottles for in the park
  • already scheduled a 'multirider van' for transportation from the airport and back
  • meal budget planned
  • ds23 is paying his own portion of room/tickets/transportation
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Brittany1116 said:

We picked up a few more pullets yesterday. The drive was longer than I planned for. So these birds are very $$$ but we should get a good 2-3 years of laying once they get acclimated. 

I did get a refund check for overpaid Rx a few months ago. 3 gallons of gas worth. 🤣

What kind of pullets did you get?  What kind do you have?  We normally have chickens, my oldest loves raising them, but with bird flu this year we skipped it.  I miss them.  I love chickens.

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

Prices continue to rise here.  It was $4.98 at the pump nearest us, and $5.10 at both ends of Cape Cod (P-Town and the bridges).

I will be watching to see if prices drop after the weekend.

Small frugal wins here:

Accidentally stopped by a national park.  It wasn't my intention, but it was the best place for our group to take a rest.  DS12 has a NP Passport that he usually travels with, but we hadn't intended to be there so we didn't bring it.  I figured I would buy the sticker for it anyway (about $4) and forget about the stamp for now, but as luck would have it that place was too tiny to have the larger stickers.  Instead they offered a $1 sheet of 3 blank circles.  DS was thrilled. He was able to get his stamp for his book and now has 2 more blanks to keep in his daypack for other accidental trips.

We are headed to Disney this week.  I asked the boys to sort out their pins so I could see if I should buy them each one to trade in the park.  The good: I do not.  They have 2 each from previous trips that they are willing to trade. The bad: I ended up with a handful of pins that neither claimed.  I'm pretty sure I know who has what, but..it made me laugh.  Every other pin they have tells a story: Favorite ride, first pin, special experience (youngest ds did Jedi Training when he was little-little and we bought him a Star Wars pin to help remember).  The handful I have are part of a trading set, 2 pins ds got on his last trip at the very end to commemorate actually going on roller coasters, and the 2020 pin youngest ds got at the Disney Store right before they shut down.  We don't do any other souvenirs at theme parks, so the boys are usually pretty good about knowing who has what, but I think we are at saturation point. LOL

Ways we are saving money there this time:

• heavy room discount
  • discounted tickets
  • bringing our own coffee
  • collapsible water bottles for in the park
  • already scheduled a 'multirider van' for transportation from the airport and back
  • meal budget planned
  • ds23 is paying his own portion of room/tickets/transportation

Yay, have fun at Disney.   How did you get a discount on the room and tickets?   Great way to save money on things and still have a fun vacation.

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

What kind of pullets did you get?  What kind do you have?  We normally have chickens, my oldest loves raising them, but with bird flu this year we skipped it.  I miss them.  I love chickens.

We bought from someone who has been selling 2 month birds for years. They did have an illness and purge in January but no problems since. It's a small family operation and they have a great reputation. 

We were going to wait for Golden Comets but I am glad we didn't. I didn't realize all their health issues as trade off for production. We picked up a few more Black Se×-links. Our favorite bird is a BSL and she has a great personality and production level. We have some buffs and austrolorps, as well. Our least fave so far has been Easter Egger.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Yay, have fun at Disney.   How did you get a discount on the room and tickets?   Great way to save money on things and still have a fun vacation.

Ds23 is active military and dh is retired, so that helped for tickets.  And dh always calls to make the reservation for a room no matter where we stay.  He's very conversational and polite, which the staff likes.  Usually at Disney they'll apply the military special and then a bit of bonus pixie dust for him in the form of an upgrade or better view or just stacking a discount.  The room we got at the GC this year was the same price as the Good Neighbor hotels across the way when all was said and done.

• Like 3

Not a lot going on this week.  Did a grocery pick up.

My older kids are away at a ballet intensive, so driving is almost none right now.  And they are having the best time ever. 

I hurt my knee this week.  Bought a brace.  Hoping to get into the doctor this week.  I called Friday afternoon after giving it a few days.  It is much better with a brace on.

My new favorite place to buy clothes and shoes is Costco.  We do it online, maybe the deals are as great in store. 

Dh picked out 12 shirts and pants last night total was $67 with tax.

Not as good as one that I did earlier this month with clothes for dh, odd, and myself that was 12 items (with a coat) for $36 with tax.  

Hoping Amazon ships us something that was supposed to get here June 10.  Didn't arrive.  Then they said the 17th.  Still nothing.  Now it is supposed to be here on the 23.   I hate Amazon.

Ordered a pair of shoes for ydd, but got a cancellation email.  Boo they were really cheap!

dd2 got her new mountain bike all set up this week.  Headed out to mountain bike practice.   today.   She is really excited as it is her first year on the team.

Oh youngest dog went to the vet for her annual.  Shots, prescription, and some shampoo.  

It has been a rather lazy start to the summer.  Crazy that 1 month has already gone by.

Tonight probably bill paying and going over some other money things.

• Like 3

West coast schools are just finishing out the school year. We are emptying our backpacks and re-waterproofing everything for fall. It looks like jackets, backpacks, etc. will make it another year but I need to repair the school issued gym bags.

My kiwi rootstock plant never did come out of dormancy after planting. I think it’s dead. 😞 My grape plant is taking off. The rest of my new garden is kind of mixed. We are still having spring weather most days—rain and 60s-70s. I suspect we will move into summer weather in July this year. It’s great for all of the forests trying to come back after wildfires and the super 120F heat bubble of last year but not great for growing food for us to eat (so far).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I just got an email from an American tutoring site saying they have selected me and I can sign a contract and set up my profile. I haven't read the contract yet, but I'm worried this might be like going to Wyz@nt where it's hard to get picked to do anything. But I'm not sure. I'll have to refresh my memory on the company. I've applied to so many tutoring sites. 

Xh paid the fee to fast track the title.

Edited by heartlikealion
edited to limit Google searches landing here
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

I just got an email from an American tutoring site saying they have selected me and I can sign a contract and set up my profile. I haven't read the contract yet, but I'm worried this might be like going to Wyz@nt where it's hard to get picked to do anything. But I'm not sure. I'll have to refresh my memory on the company. I've applied to so many tutoring sites. 

Xh paid the fee to fast track the title.

I hope the tutoring turns out to be a good fit.

• Thanks 1

These are some of the pants dh ordered from Costco.

*HOT* $20 Off 5 Costco Clothing Items, Luggage, or Handbags (Score Huge Savings on Men's Pants!) (hip2save.com)

Then I did an order for new suits for the kids.  Trunks for ds for 3.50 and suits for the girls for 5.   We have this long sleeve rash guard from last year for the girls and it has held up really well.

Wonder Nation Girls Rash Guard One-Piece Swimsuit

Walmart Kids 2-Piece Swimsuits as Low as $3 (Regularly $17) (hip2save.com)

Got ds 4 trunks for this summer and next.  Got all the kids just some long sleeve rashguads too.  I love to have sun shirts for them for the beach, mountain biking, and other things to limit the sun and it is easier than trying to keep up with applying sunscreen. 

12 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

These are some of the pants dh ordered from Costco.

*HOT* $20 Off 5 Costco Clothing Items, Luggage, or Handbags (Score Huge Savings on Men's Pants!) (hip2save.com)

Then I did an order for new suits for the kids.  Trunks for ds for 3.50 and suits for the girls for 5.   We have this long sleeve rash guard from last year for the girls and it has held up really well.

Wonder Nation Girls Rash Guard One-Piece Swimsuit

Walmart Kids 2-Piece Swimsuits as Low as $3 (Regularly $17) (hip2save.com)

Got ds 4 trunks for this summer and next.  Got all the kids just some long sleeve rashguads too.  I love to have sun shirts for them for the beach, mountain biking, and other things to limit the sun and it is easier than trying to keep up with applying sunscreen. 

oh man I wish they had dd's size in stock for the Wonder Nation swimsuit cover up. I don't like the LOL dolls lol. 

• Like 1

Bought a couch off facebook marketplace today to replace the one that has had a broken spot for a while.  We've been waiting for about a year for a specific ikea couch to come back in stock because it fits the needs of that space perfectly but the pandemic has really messed up that brand's supply.  Finally found one used for $200, so much better than the $700 we were willing to pay! 

• Like 4

Sold a fridge today for $300. We could have gotten more if we wanted to wait longer but we're trying to get the carport declutter and better organized so it is safe for my mom when she gets home from the hospital, whenever that will be.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

Sold a fridge today for $300. We could have gotten more if we wanted to wait longer but we're trying to get the carport declutter and better organized so it is safe for my mom when she gets home from the hospital, whenever that will be.

I love when you get the balance of buying something and then selling something you own to discount it.  yay.

I didn't know your mom was still in the hospital.  I hope she is doing well.  

• Like 2

Paid credit cards in full.

Did a bunch of travel hacking.  Got some really good redemptions.  This helps so much with the really inflated travel prices.  Makes me want to travel hack a lot more!!  

ARGH, Amazon cancelled my order that was supposed to be here on June 10th.   I really wanted/needed what I ordered.  Ugh I hate Amazon most of the time.  I don't get why they cancelled it.  THey are still selling the items saying they will deliver this week???  What the heck?

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Through July 13th, Amazon is offering a FREE $20 Amazon Credit for Prime members when you make a $75 P&G Household Essential products purchase! Note that you must be logged into your Prime account to see the eligible items.

Even better, some of these items have digital coupons and qualify for Subscribe & Save so you’ll score an additional 5-15% off and get free shipping!

Free $20 Amazon Credit for Prime Members w/ $75 P&G Household Products Purchase (hip2save.com)

For a limited time, Amazon is offering Prime members the chance to score up to $62 worth of promotional credits to redeem during their upcoming Prime Day sale. Note that you must be logged into your Prime account in order to view and access these offers

Plus, through July 13th, Amazon is also offering a FREE $10 Amazon Credit when you activate your Stampcard and complete all four activities. The promotional credit will automatically appear in your Amazon account within 24 hours of successfully completing your Stampcard to use any time during the next year or you can save it to use for the highly anticipated Prime Day on July 12th & 13th.

Prime Members Can Earn Up to $72 Worth of Promotional Credits to Use on Amazon Prime Day (hip2save.com)

Through July 11th, for every $1 you spend on Amazon on eligible small business items, you’ll earn an entry into the Prime Day Small Business Sweepstakes! Just be sure to head here and click “Enter” to be entered into the sweepstakes with every qualifying purchase.

Items from small businesses will show the “Small Business badge” on the product page, and entries will automatically be credited for every dollar you spend, up to $1,500.

There are hundreds of thousands of Amazon eGift Cards being given out – perfect for shopping on Amazon Prime Day! Plus, grand prizes include a trip for two to Los Angeles for a $2,000 shopping spree at the Amazon Style Store, VIP passes to music festivals in Los Angeles and Las Vegas, a trip for two to the special NYC screening of The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, and more!

Amazon Prime Day Small Business Sweepstakes Starts Today - Hundreds of Thousands Will Win Gift Cards (hip2save.com)

• Like 2

Celebrate National Smoothie Day 2022 w/ Free Smoothies

Celebrate National Smoothie Day w/ Free Smoothies on June 21st (hip2save.com)

Panera keeps you hydrated with their Unlimited Sip Club Subscription (formerly known as My Panera+ Coffee Subscription)! This subscription costs just $10.99/month and lets you score any size or flavor of hot or iced coffee, tea, fountain sodas, Bubbler drinks, and their new Charged Lemonades every 2 hours and FREE unlimited refills while you’re in the café. 

Even better, today, June 21st only, you can score your first month of Unlimited Sip Club for FREE when you use promo code ONEMONTH at checkout! You will need to enter a credit card to score this offer, however, you will not be charged until your subscription renews, but you can cancel at any time!

Get Free Panera Coffee, Tea, Sodas, & More - Every Single Day! (hip2save.com)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

I love when you get the balance of buying something and then selling something you own to discount it.  yay.

I didn't know your mom was still in the hospital.  I hope she is doing well.  

Me too!

Yeah, she is set to go into rehab for a bit from the hospital but her kidney numbers are bad so they won't transfer her. She has a lot of mobility back since her second stroke and the surgery to remove a blood clot from her brain but still isn't 100%. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Me too!

Yeah, she is set to go into rehab for a bit from the hospital but her kidney numbers are bad so they won't transfer her. She has a lot of mobility back since her second stroke and the surgery to remove a blood clot from her brain but still isn't 100%. 

Sending lots of good thoughts her way.

• Like 4

I'm in a ladies' abuse recovery group. We usually meet weekly, but sometimes there are hiccups and usually I'm fine with postponing (because I have the kids here or have to catch up on the homework etc). Well, this time one person dropped out because of unexpected finances, another was sick, and then the class was canceled. I thought no big deal. But then I was charged for this week's session and when I inquired about it they said that was deliberate because we were given new materials/video to watch. I don't think that's very fair. I mean, we didn't meet. They said (as if we all know this) that they are available if we want to reach out to discuss anything. Now don't get me wrong, I know some therapists charge a cancelation fee to clients but I didn't even cancel. 

So looking back, I'm guessing another time we canceled we were also charged (I can't remember now). I just told the teacher that I allotted a certain amount of money for the class and at this rate I'm only anticipating paying for two more sessions (but I think we have more chapters and material to cover than that). Ugh. I put my individual therapist on hold while I finish the class. 

At my job I never know when payroll will be done. It's like loosey goosey. I'm usually paid between the 15-20 and I wasn't. Today I planned to go to the city, give a check to the GAL and get a cashier's check for my landlord. But, no pay day so the landlord will have to wait or I'll give him a regular check this time. I do cashier's checks so they don't bounce (he takes forever to cash them!). I inquired about it and told they forgot about the holiday (I guess Monday, Juneteenth) but what does that have to do with me not being paid today, Tuesday? They said I'll be paid tomorrow. 

So just a bit frustrated today. Oh and on top of that, completely unrelated, I posted a meetup for Top Gun tonight. Two people RVSP'd and both just canceled. One canceled a day or two ago and the other canceled today. Ok fine so I might still go after errands ($5 movie night) but it just proves to me I can't even try to make friends in this group. I'm too old (group is ages 20-40s but so far everyone I met is younger than me). I think I'm leaving the group. 

• Sad 4

4 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I'm in a ladies' abuse recovery group. We usually meet weekly, but sometimes there are hiccups and usually I'm fine with postponing (because I have the kids here or have to catch up on the homework etc). Well, this time one person dropped out because of unexpected finances, another was sick, and then the class was canceled. I thought no big deal. But then I was charged for this week's session and when I inquired about it they said that was deliberate because we were given new materials/video to watch. I don't think that's very fair. I mean, we didn't meet. They said (as if we all know this) that they are available if we want to reach out to discuss anything. Now don't get me wrong, I know some therapists charge a cancelation fee to clients but I didn't even cancel. 

So looking back, I'm guessing another time we canceled we were also charged (I can't remember now). I just told the teacher that I allotted a certain amount of money for the class and at this rate I'm only anticipating paying for two more sessions (but I think we have more chapters and material to cover than that). Ugh. I put my individual therapist on hold while I finish the class. 

At my job I never know when payroll will be done. It's like loosey goosey. I'm usually paid between the 15-20 and I wasn't. Today I planned to go to the city, give a check to the GAL and get a cashier's check for my landlord. But, no pay day so the landlord will have to wait or I'll give him a regular check this time. I do cashier's checks so they don't bounce (he takes forever to cash them!). I inquired about it and told they forgot about the holiday (I guess Monday, Juneteenth) but what does that have to do with me not being paid today, Tuesday? They said I'll be paid tomorrow. 

So just a bit frustrated today. Oh and on top of that, completely unrelated, I posted a meetup for Top Gun tonight. Two people RVSP'd and both just canceled. One canceled a day or two ago and the other canceled today. Ok fine so I might still go after errands ($5 movie night) but it just proves to me I can't even try to make friends in this group. I'm too old (group is ages 20-40s but so far everyone I met is younger than me). I think I'm leaving the group. 

How stressful to not know when you are going to be paid.  I am sorry.

Boo on the other 2 groups.

• Thanks 1

I could blow off going to the city today to hold out for pay day, but I don't want to. I have the money for the GAL and I prepared all these goodies for my lawyer's office because I'm doing the baking challenge fundraiser and he donated. So I'm going to go to the city, drop off the stuff, pay the GAL and probably go to the movies then catch up on work later. I don't have the kids next weekend, either because Father's day threw off the rotation so I can play catch up if need be. I'll probably get the cashier's check next Tuesday (which is when I think I'll take the kids to $2 bowling night). 

If you are close to an Old Navy and need clothes, it may be worth it to stop in in store.  My local store was a complete mess. Imagine that a teenager dumped weeks worth of clean clothes on the floor and then threw them onto flat counters and heaped them up onto displays.  That's pretty close to what I saw yesterday. They are so short staffed that they aren't keeping up on stock management.  My store basically threw up signs announcing sales to try to reduce inventory---those sale prices are not reflected online.

I picked up sweaters for $7 yesterday. I had to really dig through sizing, and I ended up actually sorting through a display of shorts, sorting them by color and then sizing and then fixing the display for them because I felt so bad for them.  (I needed to do it anyway because they only had 3 size medium shorts in a display with about 400 pieces.)  I came away with 11 pieces of adult clothing for under $100 yesterday. If I had been buying kid clothes, I could have purchased an entire year's worth for under $100, I think. 

On a related note, it's hard to find men's shorts here right now. I'm looking everywhere, and stores are generally keeping their inventory tight. 

• Like 5

The therapist said she didn’t charge for another week in the past when we postponed (she didn’t send homework links that time I guess). And it should wrap up in 2 more sessions. 

I need to exchange sandals I got for dd (size issue) and now I can’t find the receipt. I might have missed my window too. Returning an Amazon item soon. Hurt my face (elec pore cleaner. And doesn’t do much on lower settings).

3 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

If you are close to an Old Navy and need clothes, it may be worth it to stop in in store.  My local store was a complete mess. Imagine that a teenager dumped weeks worth of clean clothes on the floor and then threw them onto flat counters and heaped them up onto displays.  That's pretty close to what I saw yesterday. They are so short staffed that they aren't keeping up on stock management.  My store basically threw up signs announcing sales to try to reduce inventory---those sale prices are not reflected online.

I picked up sweaters for $7 yesterday. I had to really dig through sizing, and I ended up actually sorting through a display of shorts, sorting them by color and then sizing and then fixing the display for them because I felt so bad for them.  (I needed to do it anyway because they only had 3 size medium shorts in a display with about 400 pieces.)  I came away with 11 pieces of adult clothing for under $100 yesterday. If I had been buying kid clothes, I could have purchased an entire year's worth for under $100, I think. 

On a related note, it's hard to find men's shorts here right now. I'm looking everywhere, and stores are generally keeping their inventory tight. 

Costco online has men's shorts for good prices especially when you get 5-10 and get the extra discount.  I don't shop in stores so maybe better there. 

Walmart online is also a good sale.

Well, last week we had water leaking through our dining room ceiling during a rainstorm.  Thought that would be very expensive, but the roofer recommends just buying some snow seal for $40 and putting it on ourselves.  He also says that our roof has about five more good years in it before it will need to be replaced or start having issues.  So there's that to budget for, but I know a good roofer when we need one.

We went to the kids' church group activity last night.  They provided fried chicken, sides and desserts were potluck.  I made challah bread to take.  They vastly overestimated the amount of chicken needed, and were trying to give away all the extras afterwards, saying it would just wind up thrown out otherwise.  So I got about four family meals' worth and froze it, some as fried chicken and some I removed the breading and bones and shredded the cooked chicken for other things.  My dog loved eating all that fried breaded chicken skin.

• Like 5

On the other hand, the outlets on the corner of the house where we just had an irrigation pump installed cannot be used, because they were put in wrong/illegally.  So our new irrigation pump might as well be a lawn ornament until we get an electrician to run a new circuit there, which will cost nearly $900 we weren't planning on.

• Sad 5

Dh just texted me and said he is in his way to pick up dd18. Our “good car” broke down AGAIN. It is apparently stuck in reverse. We just paid $300 a couple of weeks ago to fix the shifter in this car. We are supposed to go visit family a week from now and needed to take both cars. It’s like the June from hades.

• Sad 4