Menu

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~June 2022 Frugalistas~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mommyoffive

2 hours ago, historically accurate said:

I splurged on gluten free tortillas for youngest this week. Went to pull one out of the bag to warm it, and 3 more stuck to it and slopped smack onto the floor. So, I understand the pain of lost expensive ingredients.

I would totally eat those.  I know the 3 second rule doesn't really prove true, but I still would.  Maybe I would heat it up just to make myself feel a bit better.

• Like 3

For a limited time, Amazon is back with their popular Buy Two, Get One Free Book Sale! No promo code needed. Just add three books to your cart and one of them will automatically be FREE.

This is a RARE offer and is a perfect time to grab some of your favorite books or a few to give as gifts! There are over 1000 book titles to choose from — including many of my favorites.

Plus, many of these books are already on sale! You can click on “books” on the left sidebar to see just the book titles.

Buy Two, Get One Free Book Sale on Amazon {Includes Many of My Favorite Reads!} | Money Saving Mom®

8 hours ago, historically accurate said:

I splurged on gluten free tortillas for youngest this week. Went to pull one out of the bag to warm it, and 3 more stuck to it and slopped smack onto the floor. So, I understand the pain of lost expensive ingredients.

I'd eat them. Kiss it up to God and they'll be ok 😉

• Haha 1

Perhaps when things calm down (ie after I move and my ladies' group therapy course concludes) I could consider making crafts again and selling at the school fall festival like I did last year. Last year I scrambled and had barely any items and didn't know what people would buy or the best way to display it. This year I would have a better idea I think. I would bring actual bowls to display the cloth bowl covers (and bring neutral ones, not Christmas patterned) and prepare more sets of boot shapers (probably display boots on a step stool instead of the ground). Label things better. Last year a woman bought some and then ordered more but it was stressful to make them as an order rather than having them premade. They sold for $10-12 each but I can't remember how much I spent in fabric. 
These are the ones I made after the event: 
No photo description available.

• Like 1

I bet those will be a big seller again, heart.  I would def focus on getting some more of those made.    

I went to the grocery store while ago and spent nearly $100.   I got some stuff for ds for lunch.  He just got a new job that is in town, and he gets to come home for lunch, so I told him I’d get him lunch stuff so he doesn’t have to pick anything up.   He’s hoping to save $$ so I guess our grocery bill will go up a bit, lol.   I got some supper stuff for the next few days.  Prices are ridiculous.  
picked up rx and used fsa card, thankfully.  Have mammo/ultrasound tomorrow, idk what it will cost.  Hopefully I have enough left on the fsa card to cover it.  
I haven’t sold anything this week in posh.  Hard to blame anyone though—   I’m not buying anything either!  😛

I’m so tired of this economy.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I bet those will be a big seller again, heart.  I would def focus on getting some more of those made.    

I went to the grocery store while ago and spent nearly $100.   I got some stuff for ds for lunch.  He just got a new job that is in town, and he gets to come home for lunch, so I told him I’d get him lunch stuff so he doesn’t have to pick anything up.   He’s hoping to save $$ so I guess our grocery bill will go up a bit, lol.   I got some supper stuff for the next few days.  Prices are ridiculous.  
picked up rx and used fsa card, thankfully.  Have mammo/ultrasound tomorrow, idk what it will cost.  Hopefully I have enough left on the fsa card to cover it.  
I haven’t sold anything this week in posh.  Hard to blame anyone though—   I’m not buying anything either!  😛

Oh those aren't covered as a routine wellness visit? 😞

1 hour ago, WildflowerMom said:

Me too.

• Like 2

These are because they found something six months ago, not routine, unfortunately.   Fingers crossed it’s not expensive… 

fingers crossed it's not too expensive and you are ok. 

8 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Me too.

I will see if I can make it economical. Look for discounted fabric and pool noodles. I could probably bring my actual shoe rack for the display. Last year I got discouraged because I thought I would have to figure businesses expenses/taxes moving forward, but for a once a year booth with a small profit I don't think it's a big deal. 

• Thanks 1

I am back from running errands. I am irritated because it is all so stupid. I needed to get distilled water for a medical device. I placed a Walmart pickup order and included it on the list. When I got the notification it was actually unavailable, I placed a Target order and added a couple of other things also. Then, Target had it as unavailable. Then, a doctor’s office called and the labs one office was supposed to send were sent wrong so she wanted me to do blood work. They are understaffed and the people they recently hired are so incompetent that there’s no point in calling and asking them to send it again. I literally printed off my labs and drove them over because I didn’t want to repeat $800 worth of blood work. And I made three stops to get things other stores didn’t have in stock but do in normal times. I also stopped by the post office because it’s unsafe to leave outgoing mail in the locked box. 

In normal times, I could have walked to a nearby store and picked up a thing, and dropped off mail on the way. Instead, normal life became a three hour errand ordeal that took up most of my afternoon.

I know we are all collectively going through a version of this, and just wanted to send hugs. This is all so frustrating.

• Sad 5

Lots happening here this week:

DD is home from the hospital. Doing well, but fainting lots as well. Still working on getting her stabilized.

My surgery has been postponed. Indefinitely. We'll come back to it later.

Bought new pants for me and DD today at Goodwill. 3 pair for $17 - I thought that was pretty good. I was down to 1 pair of dress pants that fit well and 1 that was ok, and DD needed khakis for a summer program.

Spent $35 today at Steak n Shake. Bought an adult meal, a kids meal, an extra order of fries and shakes (for everyone but me). We filled in with homemade chicken fingers as they no longer carry those on the menu. Wow, I was shocked at how much it cost - it wasn't all that much food.

Probably spent a fortune on air conditioning as it was 98 degrees today. Spending on gas like it's going out of style as well this week as we have a ton of errands/appointments.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, historically accurate said:

Lots happening here this week:

DD is home from the hospital. Doing well, but fainting lots as well. Still working on getting her stabilized.

My surgery has been postponed. Indefinitely. We'll come back to it later.

Bought new pants for me and DD today at Goodwill. 3 pair for $17 - I thought that was pretty good. I was down to 1 pair of dress pants that fit well and 1 that was ok, and DD needed khakis for a summer program.

Spent $35 today at Steak n Shake. Bought an adult meal, a kids meal, an extra order of fries and shakes (for everyone but me). We filled in with homemade chicken fingers as they no longer carry those on the menu. Wow, I was shocked at how much it cost - it wasn't all that much food.

Probably spent a fortune on air conditioning as it was 98 degrees today. Spending on gas like it's going out of style as well this week as we have a ton of errands/appointments.

I am glad your dd is home.  I am glad she is doing well.  I hope that she can be stabilized and stop fainting.

I am sorry about your surgery being postponed.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I am back from running errands. I am irritated because it is all so stupid. I needed to get distilled water for a medical device. I placed a Walmart pickup order and included it on the list. When I got the notification it was actually unavailable, I placed a Target order and added a couple of other things also. Then, Target had it as unavailable. Then, a doctor’s office called and the labs one office was supposed to send were sent wrong so she wanted me to do blood work. They are understaffed and the people they recently hired are so incompetent that there’s no point in calling and asking them to send it again. I literally printed off my labs and drove them over because I didn’t want to repeat $800 worth of blood work. And I made three stops to get things other stores didn’t have in stock but do in normal times. I also stopped by the post office because it’s unsafe to leave outgoing mail in the locked box. 

In normal times, I could have walked to a nearby store and picked up a thing, and dropped off mail on the way. Instead, normal life became a three hour errand ordeal that took up most of my afternoon.

I know we are all collectively going through a version of this, and just wanted to send hugs. This is all so frustrating.

Yes it is!  Ugh.  i am sorry you had to run around so much for things today.   We deserve like 10 easy years to make up for all we have been through in the last few years.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Everything seems to take more concentration/energy/thought/time these days. It is very frustrating.

• Like 2

Can June just be over yet?!?! To continue on last weeks craptastic week, the electrician we paid almost theee thousand dollars to has never showed up to finish the job or returning texts and we are still jerry rigging electricity to our freezers and just now dd18 backed the car we just got fixed into our farm truck!

It is supposed to be 98 here with 75% humidity, no air conditioning, and I am a heat wimp. I wish that I could personally deliver each one of you the frozen drink of your choice and give you a hug. Life is just so water torture hard right now for everyone.

• Sad 6

45 minutes ago, saraha said:

Can June just be over yet?!?! To continue on last weeks craptastic week, the electrician we paid almost theee thousand dollars to has never showed up to finish the job or returning texts and we are still jerry rigging electricity to our freezers and just now dd18 backed the car we just got fixed into our farm truck!

It is supposed to be 98 here with 75% humidity, no air conditioning, and I am a heat wimp. I wish that I could personally deliver each one of you the frozen drink of your choice and give you a hug. Life is just so water torture hard right now for everyone.

OH man.  I think you guys should contact someone to go after that electrician.  

I am sorry about the cars.  

Your weather sounds awful.  It is hot here too.  Summer is just no fun it gets way to hot.  I feel like August used to be up in the 90s, but we had some in April and now this week.  I am already dreaming of winter at this point. All the frozen drinks and ice cream.  Head to the library, mall, or a movie.  

• Like 2

$240 on the fsa card for mammo.  Got a 20% discount for paying in full.   Will pay another $20 Friday for the next Dr.   I need to check the balance… 

Got a $125 order to pick up on Friday at Walmart.   Sigh.    

need to buy the foster dog a harness.  I’ll measure him today.   Hopefully I can find a cheap one on Amazon.  

I’ll probably grab a couple chicken littles from kfc on the way home today.   I have a migraine and I’m nauseated and once I get my boob smashed in a minute, I think I’ll deserve it.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

@prairiewindmomma I don't follow about the box. Do you have a mail box in front of your house that's unsafe to use for outgoing mail or is this a box somewhere else? How frustrating.

(story time, feel free to skip) I'm not allowed to have a mailbox in front of my house so every time I have to mail something I have to drive to the PO. It's so dumb, the town voted many years ago and there weren't enough votes on this side of the railroad tracks for delivery so no one on this side of town gets it. I do get items at my door if they come UPS or FedEx. Sometimes Amazon sends items to the PO and then the PO staff gets mad at me if it had my street address but not my PO on the item but I explained to them that you cannot always list two locations, at least not in the order you want as top preference. There isn't a note field either. They literally tried to tell me once to just get the cat litter offline and I thought no, I'm not going to drive an hour to the nearest pet store that carries it and pay more for it to boot. I complained to Amazon the time that happened and they assured me I did nothing wrong and that it should never be sent to the PO again. 

----------------

I had reserved the first Top Gun movie at the library but forgot to pick it up last week (it wasn't available at the library by me so I placed an order in the city). I found it on the Paramount+ channel I got this month (free trial) so I called the library and canceled the hold. Unless the kids really want to go out this week, I've saved myself a trip to the city. I emailed the GAL and told him I will bring him a check next week and he seems fine with that (I just prefer not to lug the kids to a lawyer's office). xh told me he takes payment via square but there's an $8 service fee each time. I am just going to combine my drop off next week with other errands and I'm hosting a meetup night at the theatre for $5 Tuesday to see Top Gun (one or two people signed up). 

Xh signed dd up for VBS and I thought I'd be stuck driving her every day (this particular one meets 3 mornings this week) but he agreed to work from his other office and take her. That's saved me a lot of gas and headache. She's getting lunch today at the program as it's included in the final day and they feed her a snack every day. 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

$240 on the fsa card for mammo.  Got a 20% discount for paying in full.   Will pay another $20 Friday for the next Dr.   I need to check the balance… 

Got a $125 order to pick up on Friday at Walmart.   Sigh.    

need to buy the foster dog a harness.  I’ll measure him today.   Hopefully I can find a cheap one on Amazon.  

I’ll probably grab a couple chicken littles from kfc on the way home today.   I have a migraine and I’m nauseated and once I get my boob smashed in a minute, I think I’ll deserve it.  

I hope you mean deserve the KFC. I read that at first as deserve a smashed boob. I said to myself no!! lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

OH man.  I think you guys should contact someone to go after that electrician.  

I am sorry about the cars.  

Your weather sounds awful.  It is hot here too.  Summer is just no fun it gets way to hot.  I feel like August used to be up in the 90s, but we had some in April and now this week.  I am already dreaming of winter at this point. All the frozen drinks and ice cream.  Head to the library, mall, or a movie.  

Dh is wanting to give him the benefit of the doubt for a few more days. A tornado touched down in our area last week (which is why we needed an electrician 🤦‍♀️) and then another storm Monday knocked power out to over 150,000 people, 11,000 are still without power. Ours came back on Tuesday morning. I feel so bad for people, the heat index has been 105+ for the last two days and people and businesses not having electric

• Sad 4

We have a neighborhood mail pod. There are mail theft rings in our area. For a time they were prying off the backs of the pod with a crowbar to get at the mail, but there have been issues with master key duplication, a federal bust, etc. and somehow the mail theft hasn't stopped. So, basically, we don't use our mail pod for any sort of outgoing mail and we check our mailbox as soon as we can after delivery. It's part of the reason our entire neighborhood is so wired with private cameras. 

(It's not nearly as bad as it was in Texas, when our pod was damaged and then not repaired for months after the second round of damage. We had to do daily pickup at the post office, and the wait was 60-90 minutes daily. There were no openings at the local rent-a-mailbox private places because they were all full.)

• Sad 4

Managed to keep spending to about $22 for a family day yesterday.

30 mile bike ride- free

Stop for smoothies and ice cream in the middle of the ride - $15

Ice packs for everyone's sore bums and legs - free from the freezer

Stop at the grocery store for hot dogs and buns - $7

No-way-our-bodies-are-moving-anymore fire pit for the next 3 hours - free

😂

• Like 5

17 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We have a neighborhood mail pod. There are mail theft rings in our area. For a time they were prying off the backs of the pod with a crowbar to get at the mail, but there have been issues with master key duplication, a federal bust, etc. and somehow the mail theft hasn't stopped. So, basically, we don't use our mail pod for any sort of outgoing mail and we check our mailbox as soon as we can after delivery. It's part of the reason our entire neighborhood is so wired with private cameras. 

(It's not nearly as bad as it was in Texas, when our pod was damaged and then not repaired for months after the second round of damage. We had to do daily pickup at the post office, and the wait was 60-90 minutes daily. There were no openings at the local rent-a-mailbox private places because they were all full.)

I'm missing my geometry program I just bought. The mail lady either gave us the wrong key to the parcel locker at our community mailbox (it was completely empty) or someone took it. I have to call the post office today. 

• Sad 4

I called the tutoring place the other day and this woman said that she'd take a message. I told her that I left a message months ago and never heard back and really just wanted to know if they had completed the hiring or if they put it on hold because they don't need the tutors til school starts. She said she wasn't sure and then assured me she was sending an instant message to the person I was trying to reach along with a written message. I can't remember if I called on Monday or Tuesday but I just don't feel like they are gonna follow up. This was a job where you go on weekends to help with ACT prep stuff and my biggest fear was they would reject me because I'm not available every weekend. I was upfront about that but they kept saying, "we haven't made a decision yet." 

I have been a little burned out on the job hunt as I know I can't do much in the summer (having the kids every other week) and realizing that I can't handle a typical brick & mortar job where you stand the whole shift, even a short 4 hr shift would kill me. I did apply to a couple remote jobs this week, but it's like throwing ice cubes on a huge fire.

I texted my new landlords to ask what exactly they need for me to move in (I don't know if it will be first/last month's rent or security deposit or what). I told facebook that my portable dishwasher is for sale because the place I'm moving already has one. But most likely I'll have to forfeit it and just give it away as it's not practical to try to move it or store it. My cheap landlord would probably not buy it from me. 

I'm about to call back the tax assessor to see how much money I'll owe for the title and new tag since xh and I are officially moving my car into my name. I called earlier but she said she couldn't give an exact quote without the VIN so I got that. He dropped me off his auto ins. a few days ago and I don't know if it was terminated that day or lasts til the end of the month. I hope I'm not driving around with nothing right now, ugh. I called about auto ins. quotes many months ago but they weren't able to help me because the car wasn't in my name? 

• Like 1

Not counting credit from the current tag, it's $51. But first xh has to go there, pay $9 and wait 3 weeks for the replacement title to come to us. Then he can sign it over to me. We don't know where the original title is. You can get it faster by paying $39 but I don't think it's worth it unless it affects my auto ins. coverage. I will have to find out. They said if he allows it, I can get credit from the current tag to go toward the new car tag. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Ok does this sound like a decent rate? I was quoted roughly $60/mo for auto insurance. That's the rate for people that already have renter's ins. with them. They said the current renter's ins. will go down 10% (a whopping $1.50 lol). 

That would be super cheap, even for liability only insurance here. That would have been true in TX as well. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

That would be super cheap, even for liability only insurance here. That would have been true in TX as well. 

Perfect. I really don't feel like having to switch companies again Lol. 

Some good news. My new landlords are not going to require a security deposit. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Ok does this sound like a decent rate? I was quoted roughly $60/mo for auto insurance. That's the rate for people that already have renter's ins. with them. They said the current renter's ins. will go down 10% (a whopping $1.50 lol). 

Depends on year, make,  model of the car, state insured in, and type of insurance.  For us, in Maryland we pay 104.60/month for 2 cars and our life insurane policy.  One car is a 2004 Toyota Corolla. The other is a 2013 Toyota Sienna. But we have a high deductible and not full coverage on the corolla 

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

Depends on year, make,  model of the car, state insured in, and type of insurance.  For us, in Maryland we pay 104.60/month for 2 cars and our life insurane policy.  One car is a 2004 Toyota Corolla. The other is a 2013 Toyota Sienna. But we have a high deductible and not full coverage on the corolla 

Oh ok.

I'm so annoyed. Xh removed me from his auto before we got the title in my name. The original title is missing so we have to request one, then have him sign it over to me. I'll have to pay the $39 rush fee now since apparently I have no coverage atm. I asked him if my coverage at least lasted til the end of the month and his ins company said no, they removed me 3 days ago. He got all mixed up thinking I had auto despite me telling him before I was not eligible to get it yet. 

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

Oh ok.

I'm so annoyed. Xh removed me from his auto before we got the title in my name. The original title is missing so we have to request one, then have him sign it over to me. I'll have to pay the $39 rush fee now since apparently I have no coverage atm. I asked him if my coverage at least lasted til the end of the month and his ins company said no, they removed me 3 days ago. He got all mixed up thinking I had auto despite me telling him before I was not eligible to get it yet. 

You don't need the title to get the car insured

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

You don't need the title to get the car insured

Exactly this!

DS bought a car from a friend at church, except that the person who owned the car was his daughter who's husband is stationed overseas and she lives there with him.  They lost the original ownership paperwork and requested a replacement title.  Except the DMV would only send it to the address on file which now contained a forwarding address since she lived overseas.  And that type of paperwork couldn't be forwarded.  It took them ordering it three times before someone explained it to them.  It was a mess and took about 4 months to straighten out.  However my insurance was happy to cover it from day one.

It varies. 
https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/car/insure-car-not-in-name/

I straight up asked the USAA rep if I needed the title to move forward and she said well it’s hard to prove you’re the owner without the title. And the JOD says something vague like we keep our current property. The temp order stated I got this vehicle but the JOD doesn’t state it that way. 

So yes it’s possible sometimes but it’s not always or it can be more difficult. After I complained to xh he got his ins company to pause the paperwork (we didn’t know it was pending) so I’m covered the rest of the month and he said if we can’t find the title he’ll pay for the $39 one this week. 

Edited by heartlikealion

Found ground turkey for $2.76/lb, which in seasons pasted that would be a normal price but since it shot up more than 1.20/lb recently and seems that is the new normal then I think it is now a stock up price.

Boston butts were $1.59/lb so I got one. Thinking of going back for more since we're having a party for dh's 40th bday in less than a month. I can make pulled pork sandwiches, a vegetarian main dish option and a bunch of sides. For his party I decided we're doing water, limeade or iced tea, and maybe seltzer water as the non-alcoholic options. No need for soda.

• Like 3

My geometry program came - they did give us the wrong key. Still need to check to make sure the discs work (teaching textbooks) although I am just going to use the book for DD. 

Y'all I've never been so happy to be a winner as I am today as my grocery budget is looking sad, sad, sad these days. I won this sweepstakes - https://sweepstakesfanatics.com/prairie-farms-dairy-drink-local-sweepstakes-limited-states/  They sent $125 in vouchers, not just the $25. And they WORK with no problems (I won some sweepstakes before that the grocery store wouldn't accept them or they were expired or whatever)! DH used one this morning. Their milk is $4.34 a gallon at Walmart, but since he spent more than $5, it took the whole $5 voucher off. Yay!! $45 to be used by the end of 2022. The rest are good until June of 2023. 

• Like 9

DH got a rockin' deal on a 2 year old washer and dryer - his co-worker's parents are moving into assisted living. So, he jumped on it.

We got a new dryer a few years ago, and purchased a refurb washer about 14 months ago. The washer is touchy - works but would go "unbalanced" if you had anything resembling a half-to-full load. I've already run 1 load through the new units, and it would've taken 3 loads in the old machines. I will list the old ones on FB marketplace later today. 

My neighbor gave me a pair of dress slacks. They fit nicely but are too long. I found some stitchery witchery in the sewing kit, so I'm going to give it a go.

• Like 5