Menu

Baby shower, is this a normal thing?

Loowit

28 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

And really, it would be easy enough to say, "bring a book OR a package of diapers for a chance at a special door prize". So it's optional, and one or the other. 

Yes, exactly. Or even make both optional—We are collecting books for a book basket and having a diaper raffle for those who want to participate. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, freesia said:

Yes, exactly. Or even make both optional—We are collecting books for a book basket and having a diaper raffle for those who want to participate. 

Yes, I was trying to think how to make it sound optional - your wording was better than mine!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, freesia said:

Please, if any of you are giving showers, don’t ever do this. Just because $20-30 is no big deal to you or your closest friends, be aware that it really is to some of the people around you. 

I agree with this. I was shocked years ago when in a mommy group on FB for babies born a certain month, people were talking birthday gifts for friends- toddlers!- and spending $50 or more on gifts for 2 year olds. And they vaguely apologized for it by saying they spent more on nieces and nephews? I don't have the budget to spend $50 on any kid other than my own. At the time of that particular thread, I was lucky to have $10 to spend on a friend's kid. $20 a pop on my nieces/nephews was extravagant (especially since I have 15 of them). I do give as much as I can for weddings, baby showers, and graduations. $50 on a third birthday for a kid at mommy and me class is a big no.

• Like 2

Just now, Ann.without.an.e said:

IKR

remember when they used to have the little emoji on here that passed out? That was many moons ago lol. That pretty much sums up how I felt 😜

I miss those emojis. The ones we have now are kind of weird. 

• Like 1

I have appreciated reading all the different perspectives.  I don't think I will be going to the shower, but I will definitely send a present and a book.  Covid cases are starting rise here, and the idea of being inside a house with a lot of people is not something I am comfortable with.

I liked the book recommendations/ideas too.  I typically give Sandra Boynton books to new babies, not that I have had much opportunity in the last few years.  I am especially fond of What's Wrong Little Pookie?  I used it a lot with youngest to get him to talk to me about how he was feeling when he was upset.  But I might branch out and do something different this time, so that baby doesn't end up with duplicates.

11 minutes ago, Loowit said:

I have appreciated reading all the different perspectives.  I don't think I will be going to the shower, but I will definitely send a present and a book.  Covid cases are starting rise here, and the idea of being inside a house with a lot of people is not something I am comfortable with.

I liked the book recommendations/ideas too.  I typically give Sandra Boynton books to new babies, not that I have had much opportunity in the last few years.  I am especially fond of What's Wrong Little Pookie?  I used it a lot with youngest to get him to talk to me about how he was feeling when he was upset.  But I might branch out and do something different this time, so that baby doesn't end up with duplicates.

A new favorite of mine is "Sleepy Toes". My youngest LOVE LOVED LOVED that book. I still ask her, "are your toes getting sleepy?" all the time. 

• Like 1